1555 State Street, 17th & State Street, Salem, Oregon, 97301, United States

Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelodge.com

Satisfaction Average

• Dirty room, disgusting sheets, apathetic manager

This hotel does not even merit one star. I checked in (BRIEFLY) for the Salem Art Festival on July 13, 2011. I was given room 207. The room was very dirty, the furniture shabby, and for some reason, the door was open when I came to the room. It was light out still, about 5pm, and the room was musty and smelled of Indian food from the office below. I opened the door wide to give some air and light into the room. I did as I always do when I check into a hotel ~ immediately inspect the room and the mattresses. the sheets on both of the beds were stained; it looked like they hadn't even been cleaned. I ripped one of the sheets off to show the manager, Andy. He wouldn't look at me, only said the sheet "was a mistake". I was given new sheets, but these were not much better. They were stiff, yellowed, and one had a huge ink stain. The mattress, revealed from the sheet taken off the bed, was COVERED in tiny black specks of dirt. I immediately recognized this as a sign of possible bedbugs and got myself and my stuff out immediately. I was in the room for no more than ten minutes, and so thankful I didn't place anything directly on the floor or the beds. I went back into the office and told the manager I could absolutely not stay there, the room was so dirty. He didn't look up at me, only gestured that there was not going to be any charge, as he said the same thing. I wanted a receipt, he did not give me one. Lo and behold, I received my credit card statement today and insult to injury, I was charged a night's stay. I called immediately to see if there was a mistake ~ no ~ I talked to the manager Andy himself and he remembered me, and said he never promised there would not be a charge. He refused to remove the charge. I told him I would certainly report him and his dirty hotel room to Travelodge and he did not care. This was the worst Travelodge and for that matter, the worst experience I've ever had with a hotel. If you are considering this hotel, steer clear. I did inform Travelodge customer care about the entire experience and was told it would take a few days to hear back from them regarding my "case."

More about Salem

Oregon scenes on Salem Riverfront CarouselOregon scenes on Salem Riverfront Carousel

Pacific Ocean on the EcoEarth GlobePacific Ocean on the EcoEarth Globe

osprey in tree at Minto Island park, September 5osprey in tree at Minto Island park, September 5

sunset over another flooded field at Minto Islandsunset over another flooded field at Minto Island

Travel Tips for Salem

Taste of the Country

by DivaGirl31

Take Portland Road out to Hazlgreen Road and turn onto that. Drive to E.Z. Orchards Farm Market at 5400 Hazel Green Rd
During the summer they have fresh strawberry or peach shortcake depending on the season.
All year round they have strawberry and apple cider donuts inside. You can try a sample and if you like them a dozen or half dozen can be bought. They also sell their yummy apple cider. This was my first job and I loved to work there. It is a fun atmosphere to shop in.

After you are done, down the road about half a mile is Bob and Barb's Blueberry Farms. Their is a U-Pick here that lasts until the end of July. I have picked blueberrys here and they are very good.

Bob and Pat Straub Environmental Learning Center

by glabah

This facility includes a small park, located just northwest of downtown Salem. There are several bridges over a small stream, benches, and a few trails that connect the park area to nearby neighborhoods. As this area is set aside from busy roads, even though it is close to many of them, it is a quiet place.

To get here from downtown if on foot: walk north on the wide sidewalk that is directly next to the railroad tracks that parallel 12th Street. At the far end of this trail, it crosses a bridge and enters the park area. It is a very easy walk from the Safeway store in downtown Salem (all you have to do is cross Marion Street and walk about 1/2 block north on the trail). So if you stop in Salem to get snacks for a long drive, this is one place you can get to that is an easy and quick walk that would serve to refresh you, and also serve as a good picnic area.

Unfortunately, some of the facilities are not in the best of conditions due to financial limitations.

Entrance by auto is a little more complicated but there is a parking area from A street from the residential area to the northwest of downtown Salem.

There are a few other minor pathways that connect this area to the surrounding neighborhood.

Capitol Grounds to the West: Breyman Fountain

by atufft

What appears to be the earliest fountain and contribution to Willson Park is on the very west edge of the capitol grounds. Unfortunately, this cast iron fountain was in dire need of restoration at the time I visited. This was actually a 1904 tribute to the city of Salem by the Breyman Brothers, wealthy residents of the city.

Another day trip that...

by slabeaume

Another day trip that shouldn't be missed is the scenic ride along the Columbia River Gorge. There are many places along that route that you can hike to see waterfalls as well as gaze at the Columbia River. One waterfall you'll see right from the road is Multnomah Falls. It's so big, there's even a restaurant and gift shop there.

If you're there in spring,...

by slabeaume

If you're there in spring, take a trip to the Wooden Shoe (I think) Tulip Festival in Woodburn. That's when the tulip fields will be blooming. I never knew there were so many different kinds of tulips. And, yes, you can buy bulbs and even cut flowers there---it is a working bulb farm.

Comments