Shilo Inn Suites Hotel Seaside Oceanfront

Orbitz.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Poor

Similarly priced and rated as other 2 star hotels

• Seasides biggest ripoff

The place is a rip off, they have 65% problem rooms, that's where they know someone is going to complain but they sell those rooms first so that if they do mention a problem they can just move them to another room but first try to get them to be happy with 10% off your meal in their incredibly overpriced monopoly of an oceanfront restaruant. The rooms are 70s, the water is bad, housekeeping looks like gangsters( infact I know a couple of them, and they are in gangs). They get no customers in the winter so the only way to exist is to overcharge throughout the summer, 450 a night with a 3 night min. stay on 4th of july. same goes for new years and other "special occasions". the building suffers from severe leaks and is infested with mold, also the restaruant is filthy, the walk-in refrigerators and reach-ins are caked in filth. The new restaruant manager is a corporate snob who only gives good shifts to those who put their noses up his behind. And they have fired all of their best employees, recently a kind young lady, working in the lounge for several years was givin an employee of the month award by the Seaside Signal, her name is Deanna. A couple of weeks ago she was givin, by this manager, a warning slip stating that she was unpleasant to work with, and a difficult employee to "control", I was concerned when I'd heard about it but thought, they wouldn't get rid of her, she's the best. A week later she was fired. Along with her mother, and afew other employees who didn't conform to his piggish ways. All I can say is PLEASE for your sake and the sake of all others who have been ripped off by Shilo.
    DO NOT GO THERE!!!
    Sincerely,
    A very unhappy guest.

Unique Quality: The most unique quality that stood out for me was the Gangster staff.

Directions: Oceanfront or Shilo East, they are both dumps.

More about Shilo Inn Suites Hotel Seaside Oceanfront

Over Priced

by TripAdvisor Member ike7101

I stayed at this motel during spring break and it was a dirty and noisy place to stay. The housekeeping did not do anything at all to my room but make my bed until i finally put ALL my dirty coffee cups into the sink.

There were teenagers knocking on my door and running away from 11:00 p.m. until 3:40 a.m. and though i called the front desk, the gentleman swore he could not catch him.

My neighbors who shared the adjoining room door with me continued to knock on it all night and laugh (they were drunk) as well as disconnect my electricity since they had the main switch in their room.

I was completely miserable, and though I complained the front desk said that there was nothing that they could do about it. My feeling was that they should have called security and either kicked the kids out or fined them.

I was there on business and tried to get another motel but all were booked.

I will never stay at another Shiloh Inn again. This is not the first bad experience I have had with them. They are always noisy, completely OVERPRICED and dirty.

There should be a law in place somewhere for keeping young kids from being in a room without a parent. Or at least administer a fine if they violate the motel quiet times. Perhaps they could hand out a flyer at check in regarding the quiet times and a warning of what could happen to the guest if they violate it. It was a TERRIBLE week for me as i had to be up at 5:00 a.m. each day and was getting NO sleep.

Shiloh Inns could have at least gave me a discount or a free dinner or a complimentary one night free for a later date. What they gave us was a 10% off your next stay that expired March 2007. Hmmmmm guess that was not too useful since i stayed there in April. :(

Good and Bad

by TripAdvisor Member Jessa27

Seaside is a wonderful place to visit and the Shilo inn has the best location. The pool, dining room and our room had a great view of the ocean front. The beds were the most comfortable hotel beds I have EVER slept in, even better than some pricy hotels we have stayed in. My only complaint was the pool. And I generally don't complain. But when we walked in there were used towels on every chair and table that had been left by people that were no longer in the pool. And on the rack that had a sign that said 'one towel per gest' there were no towels. I sent my husband to ask for more towels in the pool area and about 1/2 hour later there were still none. So the four of us went dripping down a carpeted hallway back to our room. Also the hot tub was disapointing as it did not have any place to turn the jets on and was only silghtly warmer than the pool. There was a sana and exercize room that were nice. The kids had a pull out couch bed and we had no complaints from them. The hotel room was about adverage for a Shilo and again our bed was WONDERFUL!

Great Location, Small room

by TripAdvisor Member Lompoc-girl

The location of the Shilo Inn could not have been better. It is right on the beach and the indoor pool looks out to the ocean. The workout room was great!!! I would stay there again just for that. We were promised there would be fresh fruit in the lobby and there wasn't. The room is small and the walls are thin. Stay in this hotel if you are planning on only sleeping in the room.

Ended up at a much better hotel

by TripAdvisor Member 8secondmom

We had a few days between weekends in Woodburn Or. and Mission B.C. I had heard fantastic things about Seaside. We were hauling a 48 foot trailer and could only stay somewhere that could accomodate parking. I e-mailed several hotels in Seaside and the Shilo Oceanfront responded that they had parking for this size of vehicle available. I then called the hotel directly and spoke with the front desk. I explained that we had a one-ton truck hauling a 48 foot trailer that contained a couple of race cars. They assured me that it wouldn't be a problem.

Imagine my surprise when we entered Seaside to find it a small quaint main street that we couldn't even take the trailer down to get to the hotel, let alone park it. I walked to the Hotel and asked where the parking was and they told me they couldn't accomodate us at all. They agreed to cancel our reservation.

We found a place to store the trailer and called the Shilo Inn back to get our reservation again and were informed that an oceanfront room was not available, but that we could have an inside room for $60 more than we had been quoted for the Ocean View. When I pointed this out and explained the problems we had had, I was told "That's the way it is"

The woman at the storage place suggested Lanai at the Cove. We end up with a beautiful oceanfront room with full Kitchen and Balcony for less than half the price of the Shilo Inn.

I will not stay at a Shilo Inn again.

Great location,but....

by TripAdvisor Member Notchyone

This hotel has a great location right on the beach with all the shops and restaurants just down the block. But... from no Kleenex in the room, to paint on the couch, no A/C and just one very small window without a screen!, it has problems. We were there on a very warm 3 days and it was hot in the room. We had to leave the small window open and then we had flies! The hotel has potential, or maybe it HAD potential. We might stay again because of the location, but would go back in the off season when we could afford a oceanfront room. In August they were $349!!

Affordable Excellence ?...I think not.

by TripAdvisor Member realmaccoy3

The slogan of Shilo Hotels states "Affordable Excellence".
Wrong choice of words.Having reserved (and paid for) three night stay in the oceanfront location at Seaside left me annoyed and shaking my head that a company could get away with charging big bucks for a tiny room overlooking a busy and noisy carpark. Every conversation in the courtyard could be heard , even with all room windows closed.
Forget the word ventilation... here it doesn't apply.
Should the guy along the hallway,shut his door at midnight, or talk loudly,you will be wakened from sleep. Pray that it's not the guest next door.
Hope that nobody leaves early as cars are started and kids bundled into them as you'll hear the entire au revoir.
Don't expect to get a full night's sleep.
May be acceptable if one is an insomniac, providing that you can sleep in a tiny room with no ventilation or air flow.
No question that this hotel is one great cash cow ,having done little to upgrade after decades of seventies (sixties?) decor. Cinder block bricks on one wall of the room and a style inspired by who knows who, on the other side of the room.
Only thing missing was a lava lamp.
Bed covers thin enough to almost read a newspaper thru.
Trying to navigate between bed and dresser could be painful to your knee if you misjudge.
Limited tv channels ensure you choose an overpriced in house movie.
Staff were helpful but in short supply. At end of stay, booked into a motel on the highway, cheaper, larger rooms and very quiet.
Will not be returning to the hotel of "affordable excellence".
Owners of this property should take note... your guests are your best advertising agents, not so, your cutsey slogan about "affordable excellence".
Do yourselves a favor and look up a dictionary to see what the words of your slogan mean. Maybe applicable in some mud hut on the outskirts of Afghanistan but not in the USA.

Never again - did not like the Shilo Oceanfront motel

by TripAdvisor Member GrumpynAM

We booked an ocean front smoking room through the Internet, our reservations were mixed up and we got a non-smoking room instead. There was no smoking room available. The clerk told us we couldn't smoke outside on our private balcony either - but then relented and told us we could. That's all no problem with us since we don't smoke in our own home either.

The problem was the noise! We thought we'd have a relaxing stay, but it was anything but. Our room was right near the Prom - cars going around it all day - horns honking - plus the access the beach (right below our room) was extremely busy.

There is an 8 story building right across the street - my husband kept remarking how he felt like he was in the movie "Rear Window" because you could see everyone's business. I don't think they had curtains in their living areas - since none were closed.

The room was nicely furnished and clean. We had a stove, refrigerator, microwave, sink, coffee maker, iron/board, tastefully decorated.

There is no air conditioning, but I happened to see an employee taking a fan to another guest, I asked him if he had another one - he brought one right up to us. What a lifesaver - without it we would have been miserable since it was quite warm in the room.

The noise you hear once you're inside the room is also a problem - you can hear through the walls - we had a baby on one side and small children on the other. Also, way the entry way is situated you share a skinny little hallway with your neighbor. You can hear when people come and go.

I needed to do a couple of loads of laundry, they advertise laundry facilities on-site. There is one washer and one dryer located on each of the five floors. The washer on our floor was out of order, so I went down the next floor and that too was out of order. I went to the front desk and told the clerk that the washer on our floor wasn't working, she just replied "Well, just go try another floor then". I told her I had, she said to just try another. Not impressed with her level of customer service.

We would NEVER stay here again - way over priced and not relaxing at all. I'm sure it's a great place to visit if you have kids since beach access is right there. We're empty-nesters and at our stage in life we want quiet and relaxing lodging - this is not it!

Good experiences!

by TripAdvisor Member artfinity

Hi everyone!
My SIL (Sister In Law), Grand daughter and myself took a short jaunt to Seaside for a night stay and a little R&R.
We went to the Shilo Ocean Front on short notice and was lucky enough to obtain a fairly nice room, although extremely spendy.

I, personally have been there a couple times as the indoor pool, Zacuzzi & spa areas are favorites of mine. Along with the beach just outside the door, it is easy access to downtown shopping and restaurants, not to mention evening entertainment.

My teen Grand daughter loved this!! Special treat for her!

It is important to obtain reservations but sometimes you can take your chances and there still may be a room. Yes, it is VERY expensive even with the small discounts a person might get from their AAA or coupons etc. Just make sure you have extra cash if you want to stay in a place like this.

Got kids? Avoid the Shilo Inn Oceanfront

by TripAdvisor Member leannbrown

Every year, Seaside hosts basketball tournaments that bring in teams from around the Northwest. These tournaments pump millions of dollars into the economy during the off-season, and it allows basketball players to improve their skills. It's usually a win-win for everyone.

This year, as in years past, one of the team mom's reserved a block of rooms for our families. The teams checked in on Friday, and most of the kids headed out to play in Seaside.

The next morning, things started going downhill. The staff started harassing every child who tried to go up to their room alone. A security guard or a police officer would bring the child to the parent, or to the lobby and call the parent. These kids were guests. They were not traveling in packs or goofing off. They were going to their rooms, with room key in-hand. When a parent complained, pointing out that they had paid $200 a night for the privilege of sending their children to their room at night, they were told by the weekend manager, "Maybe you should stay somewhere else next time."

Saturday night, our team had a banquet. We paid $700 for a 70 person pizza party. While we received some salad and bread sticks, the pizzas were brought out one at a time, in twenty minute intervals. Almost all of the pizzas were so doughy that they were inedible. After an hour and a half, we left without eating much besides salad. We did not get our money's worth.

Upon leaving the pizza party, I got into an elevator with a maintenance man. The elevator smelled heavily of urine. When I commented, he told me that the chemicals that they use to clean the elevator leave smell badly for a few minutes, and then dissipate. As we exited the elevator, the weekend manager was screaming at someone to call the police, as someone had let off a stink bomb. When it was asked if a stink bomb was reason enough to get the police out there, he yelled, "Tell them we've been vandalized!" So which was it? A stink bomb, or chemical residue?

Sunday night, a few boys were visiting a friend at the hotel, and they were playing hide and seek - while not the best thing to do in a hotel, they are children, and they don't always make the best choices. Two of the boys went upstairs to the fifth floor and found an unlocked gate leading to another set of stairs. There were no signs telling them they couldn't be there. Curious, they opened the gate and went up the stairs. They found themselves on the roof of the hotel and immediately turned around to leave, only to find themselves locked outside on the roof. Evidently, the maintenance man had been watching the boys and decided to teach them a lesson.

Imagine you are 13, locked out on the roof of a hotel at 10:00pm. No one has communicated with you to tell you why you are there. You didn't even hear anyone lock the door behind you. What would you do, as you are panicking? Maybe try to open a window? Yep, that's what they did. The hotel called the police and had them picked up for trespassing. They were up on that roof for more than 30 minutes. When it was pointed out to the desk clerk that the boys might have been injured or hurt, she replied, "Well, I guess they shouldn't have been trespassing!" They were never trespassing. They were invited by a guest at the hotel. These two boys weren't even told that they had been doing anything wrong.

While the rooms are usually clean, and the view is wonderful, if you have children, this hotel isn't for you. The weekend staff are rude, uncaring and have a tendency to blow things out of proportion, and then handle it badly.

If I needed to stay in Seaside again, I would spend my money at the other Shilo Inn in town. They handled several families without one incident. The staff at the Shilo East were polite and respectful, and they responded to complaints quickly.

Comments