2138 Business Route 220, Bedford, PA, 15522

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about BEDFORD SPRINGS RESORT

Totally Amazing!

by TripAdvisor Member oldhotellover

For years, I had been fascinated with the ghostly, abandoned Bedford Springs Hotel. I had memories of visiting there during its sad, last days in the 1980's, and always wished that I had stayed the night. More recently, I had made a habit of driving by the location, each time to marvel that it was still standing. When I read of plans to renovate, enlarge and modernize the hotel, I was both excited and fearful. Would the new owners be able to preserve the historic feel of the resort after the many years of neglect and decay? There was no need to worry - none at all! The Bedford Springs Hotel is a monument to creative, thoughtful restoration and is nothing short of glorious. The enlarged rooms are perfectly appointed; every modern convience is at hand, yet they exude the feel of the past of Bedford Springs. The decoration is flawless with wonderful choices of furnishings, fabrics, and wall treatments. One forgets that the Bedford Springs Resort was ever a forlorn ghost! Dining is supurb for all meals, and the hospitality of the staff is exemplary.

Beautiful Restoration Overpriced

by TripAdvisor Member gjn129

Bedford Springs Resort is a beautifully restored hotel. One of the nicest I've every seen and I travel quite a bit. They do a little trickery with the actual pricing charging you an additional fee for parking (where you have no choice) and use of the fitness center. The buffet breakfast was disappointing with limited healthy choices for a very high price. We could not get my wife into the spa in spite of the fact that we stayed Friday through Sunday. Be sure to book well in advance if you are planning to use the spa. I wish we had been warned about this in advance. Also, we had some difficulty getting into the restaurants on Friday and Saturday nights, so we ate in the pub a few times. I hope you are a meat lover because the options are very limited and the service was just okay. Finally, the walls in our room were paper thin. We could hear the couple in the room adjacent to us talking. All in all, it's a really grandly renovated hotel and we had a nice weekend, but I'm not sure they would earn my five star.

overpriced

by TripAdvisor Member CaliforniaHammertime

from a historical perspective, an interesting place to stay. the rooms are a bit smallish but nicely appointed and comfortable. there are also some nice touches like the outdoor firepit with comforters, rocking chairs, etc. however, it is not on the same level as some of the other similar resorts such as the homestead, mount washington, etc. the restaurants are at best average and there are no alternatives in the town of bedford. if your're looking for someplace to read a book and not worried about things to do, bedford springs could work but otherwise it would get real boring after a day or so. bottomline is that its simply overpriced and once the novelty aspect wears out, it will have problems.

Nice Decor, the Rest Needs Help!

by TripAdvisor Member AelaC

I stayed at Bedford Springs at the end of October for a work-related 2-day conference. I have to say, I'm very glad that I was spending my company's money on this place, and not my own!

First off, I will give credit that it is a gorgeous building, beautiful grounds, and the rooms are lovely and luxurious. Also, the conference facilities and the snack selection provided to us during our meeting were well above average.

That's the end of the positive comments, however. My primary gripe was the dining, or rather lack thereof. Bedford Springs has only three restaurants, and each of them has a VERY limited menu and is WAY overpriced.

I ate mainly at the Crystal Room, because their buffet meals were included in my conference package. Where to begin? First off, the posted seating capacity of the Crystal Room said 49 people....yet it is the main dining spot in the resort! I'm lucky that I ate earlier than the rest of my group because the entire conference group of about 70 went to eat the dinner buffet at the same time, and some people had to wait over an hour to sit because of the lack of space! Very poor planning. Everything on the breakfast buffet was tepid, not even warm, french toast was dry and stale, etc. The fruit was swarming with fruit flies. The dinner buffet was better. The one night that I ate there when they were not serving a buffet, the menu was very small...maybe eight total choices, and very spendy. I was seated next to a basket of apples that was supposed to be decorative and charming, yet all I could notice was the large pile of dead fruit flies piled up next to it. Ugh...

Besides the terrible dining, they also don't seem to have their reservations/check-out services coordinated yet. Our group was quoted a rate that included lodging and meals. Our office called and called and confirmed this rate several times, and everything was supposed to be good-to-go. But guess what? When check-out time came, everyone in our group was charged rates that had NO relation to what we had been promised! It took them an hour or two to get this sorted out in their computer system so that we could all leave. There seems to be no communication between the various departments of the resort, or else this wouldn't have happened.

Finally, the fact that they force you to valet park is very irritating.

I can't address the spa services, as I didn't use any.

Overall, I'd say that Bedford Springs would only be good for a one-night stay. Any longer and the extreme lack of dining options, and the poor quality of the dining become a real issue. This hotel really needs to start over with new food services staff and they have to address the problems in their reservations dept. immediately! I would not stay again on my own dime, and I hope my company doesn't force me to go back for another meeting.

Nice Weekend

by TripAdvisor Member Baxter-md

My wife and I spent a weekend at Bedford Springs and had a good time. The spa is nice, the indoor pool is beautiful and the grounds and building are very impressive. We ate in all three restaurants. We had lunch in the Tavern, and while the menu was limited, the food was good and the atmosphere was very nice. We ate dinner in 1789 and had a very nice experience. Our first courses were not great, but our main courses were spot on delicious, as was the dessert. When we ordered the wine, they were out of our selection so provided a more expensive bottle at the price of the wine we chose. Breakfast in the Crystal room was a disappointment. I'm not a fan of the breakfast buffet and that is the choice they seem to be pushing, as the price of the buffet was less than or equal to the most of the meals on the menu. The food was fine, but over priced for the quality received.

We like to hike, so having hiking trails on the property was great. There did not seem to be a lot to do in downtown Bedford, but we still managed to spent a couple of hours there. Bedford Candy is a must visit. The owner was so friendly. After the 4th sample I had to turn down another one.

Since it is only 2 1/2 hours drive from DC, I'm sure we will be back for another overnight trip with a hike and a massage.

Pros and cons ( mostly pros)

by TripAdvisor Member psu86

My wife and I stayed 4 days and 3 nights over Christmas. The pros did outweigh the cons!

Pros:
easy valet parking
very friendly check in
large hotel room, looks like pottery barn catalog
huge porch w rocking chairs right outside room
great food in all restaurants
nicest indoor pool i have ever seen
bedford minerals baths are outstanding, could have stayed in them for days!
spa was top shelf
very friendly bartenders
free fugi water in room
super comfortable bed

Cons:
slightly slow service in restaurants
food was expensive
limited menu in tavern

a magical Christmas

by TripAdvisor Member louise60

The resort has been renovated w/impeccable taste. All employees went out of their way to make our visit special. It was their Christmas too, and yet they couldn't have been more accommodating. Two suggestions...expand the Tavern menu and allow resort guests to use the mineral baths at the spa for a fee, instead of the current policy that one can only use them if receiving a spa service. Isn't that why the place came into being originally?

Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member Bantry

We visited to celebrate my wife's birthday. Resrvations were made via the hotel website with no problems. About 10 days prior to our stay we were contacted and advised that we should make a dinner reservation (nice touch). However, when trying to make a reservation in the 1796 room we were advised that the only available seating was at 5:30 pm.

Check in and valet parking went well and the room was well appointed and immaculate.

Dinner was VERY overpriced and average. I should note that we were in the 1796 room from 5:30 to 7:15 and it never was over 3/4 full so why only the 5:30 reservation.

Be advised that if you plan on staying only 1 night you will not have time for the spa. Check in is at 4:00 pm (tried with no avail to get it moved to 1:00 after 10 minutes of trying to get someone to answer the phone on a Thrusday afternoon) and check out time is 11:00 so there simply is not enough time.

Breakfast was buffet style only, VERY overpriced and several customers were complaining that they had run out of several items and they needed replenished. In our case, eggs, potatoes and french toast.

5 star facililty with a 2 star staff and restaurant.

one person can enjoy this place with style!

by TripAdvisor Member arlingtontraveler2

I decided on Wednesday to come to this resort for the upcoming weekend. After looking at the various packages online, I called and spoke with a very helpful clerk. I took the "Escape" package which included breakfast and a tour of the historical property. It was a quick 2 hour drive (no traffic helps) from the DC area and since I arrived earlier in the afternoon - I enjoyed a walking tour of the quaint town of Bedford. The hotel was easy to find, and check-in was quick and efficient. The room in the new spa wing was beautiful and large, including a refrigerator (hidden in the cabinet) and a bottle of water replenished daily. The bed was luxe with the ipod docking station was great! I enjoyed hiking on the nearby trails (not as well marked as they should be) and visited the spa for a few treatments. I did not eat in the "fancier" places for dinner (I do enough of that here in DC), but enjoyed a burger at the Tavern's bar. My breakfasts were enjoyable - a cooked to order omelette and many other fresh choices included yummy, ripe fruit. As a solo traveler on this trip - I absolutely enjoyed my alone time, but found many interesting people to talk with. The staff was accommodating and polite - and the spa is first rate (you get what you pay for...it is expensive) Definitely take the time for the tour - you can then really appreciate how special this facility is - and what went into the 8 year renovation. It's been open only about 6 months - so there are things I'm sure they need to work out.

The Coffee Pot - Bedford, PAThe Coffee Pot - Bedford, PA