Pike Motel

Dickinson CollegeDickinson College

Travel Tips for Carlisle

Carlisle - My home town

by calcaf38

I am not the only VT member who thinks that it is harder to build a page about one's home town than about a one-night-stand town. Especially if the hometown is small and quite unremarkable.

What can I possibly say? Carlisle is a small town in South Central Pennsylvania.

Carlisle is a transportation hub (where two busy freeways intersect) and an education center (home to three colleges).

Summers are hot, Winters are long and dreary, Spring is blink-and-you'll-miss-it short, and the Fall can be heavenly.

Within 30 minutes of my home, there are many beautiful hikes and interesting bouldering opportunities. To me, this is the most appealing feature of living here. Culturally, especially multi-culturally, Carlisle is still mostly white bread territory. There has been some progress in this respect in the last 20 years. Sometimes I think I started it, as I felt like the only "foreigner" in town when I arrived here.

Of course, while in Carlisle, I dream of Vigan, Sonargaon and Maripasoula. But honestly, Carlisle is an attractive town: if I had spent thousands of dollars and thirty hours to reach it, I might think I have hit the jackpot.

More info about the region:

"World class hikes, right in my own backyard"

Just as Carlisle is criss-crossed by important highways, it is also near the Appalachian Trail. My favorite hike, Sunset Rocks Trail, is actually a loop off the Appalachian Trail. In the event that you are interested in light-duty bouldering and beautiful scenery, consult the Sports Travel section below: I have left a detailed guide to this great half-day destination.

Comments