Travelodge Erie

Erie Maritime MuseumErie Maritime Museum

Welcome to CanadaWelcome to Canada

Water Taxi

by fvonbuseck

Will the Taxi be running during the Tall Ships event?

Re: Water Taxi

by Rabbityama

Yes! The Water Taxi is mentioned on the event's official webpage. It will take you straight to (or out of) the festival:

They will also be offering rides on the Lynx. The link for that is also on the page.

Travel Tips for Erie

The water taxi from dobbins...

by danmc

The water taxi from dobbins landing to Presque Isle is a beautiful cheap way to pretend you have your own crewed powerboat! I love riding my bike out on Presque Isle and beyond. There are long, flat roads, something I appreciate coming from Hilly Lancaster, PA!

Bicentennial Tower

by Tom_Fields

On Erie's waterfront, overlooking Lake Erie and Presque Isle, is Bicentennial Tower. Built in 1995 to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the city's founding, it stands 187 feet high. The observation deck, at 138 feet, offers the best view of the city and the surrounding areas. It is one of the city's must-see attractions.

Across the water is Presque Isle ("presque" is French for almost, since it's actually a peninsula). Look closely, and one can see the monument to Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry, who defeated the British at the Battle of Lake Erie in the War of 1812.

Another interesting thing is a map of this part of Lake Erie, showing the shipwrecks. Over the years, many vessels have been lost on the Great Lakes, including this one. It's a reminder to sailors of the dangers of these lakes.

Erie, Pennsylvania

by DanielDiNicola

"My wedding"

The last time I took a trip back to Erie was for my wedding. Well, technically it was my one year anniversary party, but because most of my friends and family were not able to attend my real wedding, which took place in Santa Monica California the year prior, I held the reception in Pennsylvania so they could all be part of the celebration.

The California Supreme Court announced in April that same-sex marriages would begin taking place effective June 16, 2008. So Phil and I got engaged right away but missed out on all the crucial months of planning that usually go into traditional weddings and receptions. Our official ceremony took place on October 31, 2008, just 4 days before our right to marry would be taken away by popular vote. Ten of our closest friends attended and it was a really beautiful and perfect ceremony.

The reception that took place this year in Erie was equally beautiful, and I'm glad we finally got to take all the time we needed to stitch together all of the plans so that everything was covered. With the help of my mom, and 2 of my best ladies (Ashley and Julie), the reception was completely perfect. From the cake to the photography; the centerpieces and the venue itself--everything was amazing.

"Where to stay"

I usually save money by traveling to places where I've got either friends or family to stay with, and in Erie I have plenty of choices. But for this particular weekend, we stayed at the Springhill Suites Marriott and I loved it. The room setup was ideal--you walk into a lounge area with a wireless internet station on one side and a couple pieces of furniture on the other. The cozy bedroom space was kept separate by a partial wall and was situated adjacent to the the bathroom. This layout really served our desire to entertain guests while keeping our luggage and sleep space private. Once again: perfect!

The reception was held at the Scottish Rites club off of Zuck Road. They were very accommodating and the venue itself was delightfully worth more than we bargained for. They had wireless internet access, which allowed us to be our own DJ, and a decent sized dance floor, which quite frankly didn't get much use as far as I'm aware. There was a lot of mingling, and a lot of smiling for pictures, and that's pretty much all I remember!

Comments