1001 Lafayette Drive, Farmington, PA, 15437
Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Costs 44% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Nemacolin Woodlands Resort Spa

loved nemacolin

I, too, am surprised at all of the negative comments. I have been to Nemacolin 3 times, once alone, and twice with a girlfriend. The last time, over the 4th of july weekend, 2005, we stayed in Falling Rock. it was absolutely fabulous. I can't wait to return. I go specifically for the spa, make my treatment reservations in advance and they always have my appointments ready when i arrive. I have been to many spas and have never enjoyed my time any better than when I was at nemacolin. It is a shame that others could not have similar experiences.

Nemacolin Resort is terrific

We had an outstanding stay at Nemacolin. Not only was the staff professional and courteous but also extremely accomodating. We were able to check in early and upgraded to a suite at the Chateau. The spa had wonderful services and the food at 30 East Main was fantastic. I would definitely stay again..

Absolutely Fabulous!!!

by TripAdvisor Member magicmsk

I am honestly not sure how the reviews below me could rate Nemacolin as they did -- we had an AMAZING experience at this luxury resort that truly offers something for everyone. We don't live in the northeast, but were recommended to Nemacolin by friends who live in Cleveland, Ohio. I was amazed that one place has so many different activities to offer. I was most pleased with the Woodlands Spa -- very professional staff and they actually have locker rooms/dressing areas that are large enough and don't leave you feeling crammed like sardines. I was greeted by the locker room attendant who asked if it was my first time to the spa, and upon hearing my "yes", took me on a tour of the women's locker room explaining where everything is and when my therapist would be down to get me. This spa offers an endless list of spa treatment options, with several that are signature just to them (if you like deep tissue massage, you MUST MUST try the Kila -- created by one of their therapists).

Was highly impressed with the service and food in both the "high end" restaurants -- Lautrec and Aqueous. Lautrec apparently just went through an interiors renovation and is BEAUTIFUL. Service there was like watching a professional production; everything is perfectly timed. They were a bit crowded and we had a brief wait for our table, but happily did so at their wine bar located in the restaurant. Food at Lautrec and Aqueous was out of this world; presentation and flavor combinations are testaments to their extremely talented chefs.

The Off-Road Driving Academy in the Hummers was a blast -- one of the reviews below states their trip got cancelled because "the Hummer was broken." The place has 6 Hummers....guides are extremely knowledgeable and most importantly, are patient with women who are a bit intimidated by the size of those vehicles.

Accommodations are marvelous -- we stayed at Falling Rock, the newest hotel. You have not LIVED until you experience their butler service at that place. Got the full tour of the hotel by our butler when we arrived; and thankfully followed his advice on having a butler draw a bath for me. Simply exquisite.

We did not take our children, but did check out their Kidz Club program -- the children enrolled seemed to be having a ball, and the staff were very professional and friendly.

We hope to go back to Nemacolin next year, and make it an annual event. What I loved about the place is you have the "luxury" atmosphere with a very personal service environment. This place is NOT a cold luxury property where staff is "aloof" in their effort to be professional; every staff person we encountered spoke to us and said Hello. Nemacolin is definitely not on "the beaten path" for travel (not NYC or DC; up on a mountain), but it is sooooooo worth the trip.

Amazing weekend

After reading some very negative reviews of Nemacolin on this site I almost cancelled my trip. What a mistake that would have been! This was our first weekend alone without our children and what a treat!

We were upgraded to a room in the Chateau upon arrival (Much nicer than the Lodge which we had booked) which was absolutely beautiful!

The spa and treatments were awesome and the staff were all very professional. We did a reserve wine tasting which was fabulous and the staff were incredibly knowledgable!

To top off our weekend dinner at Lautrec was one of the best meals of my life and we eat at fine restaurants often!

We can't wait to return and may bring the kids next time!

A Luxurious Getaway

by TripAdvisor Member MCMcC

We spent a weekend at Nemacolin as our anniversary getaway. What a luxurious, pleasant experience. We stayed at Falling Rock, which is gorgeously designed and new, with balconies overlooking the golf course, and personal butler service (!) for every room.

The rain cancelled our horseback riding, but didn't get in the way of wine tasting, spa appointments, and a marvelous dinner at Lautrec. Staff was extremely professional and attentive - took care of juggling our appointments without a hitch, and one manager even personally drove us over to the Chateau when we were waiting for the shuttle and worried about being late to the wine tasting.

The wine tasting was great for newbies and oenophiles alike, very informative and we got the most useful tip of all for our dinner at Lautrec: have the tasting menu with the wine pairings, and save the trouble of trying to pick a single wine to accompany the whole meal. This turned out to be excellent advice, as the tasting menu was delicious (somehow the 7 courses multiplied into 9 or 10 -we lost track) and we enjoyed all the different (4 or was it 5?) wine pairings.

The Woodlands spa (the main spa) is very nice. It handles a *lot* of guests on the weekends, and so it necessarily feels a bit impersonal and locker-room-like in the dressing areas and waiting room (also feels like there's some wear & tear -- a frayed robe, a bench cushion that's not tied down, etc), but the treatment room areas are lovely and very serene, and all the treatments we had were very professional (and very enjoyable!). There is supposed to be a smaller spa called Estuary inside the Falling Rock building which I expect would have been lovely but the services/times we wanted were only available at Woodlands.

Our only regret is that we didn't plan to stay a bit longer to spread out the relaxation (and to try the Aqueous restaurant as well). We will definitely be recommending Nemacolin to others, and quite possibly will return ourselves.

Top Notch Resort -- Quicky Atmosphere

by TripAdvisor Member Sniper33

Nemacolin is one of America's top resorts, no question. Disregard the reviews in which people gave it one star because of a mix-up with rooms or because they think they paid too much. The chateau rooms are among the most luxurious I've stayed in -- huge, gracious decor, wonderful bed, cut-glass chandeliers, and huge bathroom with jacuzzi. Tudor rooms are very good but not as luxurious. The fine dining facilities are excellent -- both Lautrec and Aquious are among the 20 or so best restaurants in Western Pa. I ordered room service and it was expensive but delicious. The Tavern (casual) is mediocre but not too expensive. The spa is extremely serene and luxurious. The work out facilities and pool are good but nothing spectacular. There are two golf courses, one, Mystic Rock, among the nation's finest and most expensive. There are dozens of sitting areas, nooks, galleries, bars, shops, etc. The hotel and grounds are very fun to wander around. Outside, there is skiing, croquet, shooting, Hummers, and probably other activities. The staff is very polite and was usually very professional (some staff members were sort of young looking). The prices for the activities seemed very high. Overall, I'd return in a second if I could find a good rate.

Great value and fun

by TripAdvisor Member aussieNewYork

We visited nemacolin for three days from 9 April with our 2 young sons in the French chateau. It cost $260 per night and this included a fabulous breakfast. Incredible value for what you get! The resort is remote but the double room we had was enormous and decorated beautfully, the bathroom with tub was world class. The kids pool was average but heated floors in the change room was nice touch. The most kid friendly restaurant had a huge salt water aquarium, and our kids loved having their meals by it.

We put the kids into the kid club one day and played golf at the links course, which was ok, sadly mystic rock was not open yet. The greens were very slow but we got a discount for the conditions and $55 per round was fair. They have a wonderful minature golf course which the kids loved and is free. They have shuttles that run constantly around the resort. When you need it, they radio for the shuttle and you would swear they they were waiting around the corner just for you. We visited the adventure centre which offers climbing wall for $10 and a paintgun shooting at a house for $20 which was alot of fun.

We did the 2 hour hummer ride through the forests of the resort and we both took turns driving. If you like driving through 20 inches of water and 40 degree slopes and through mud, this is for you. My wife enjoyed more than me!

Breakfast was only available in the formal restaurant as the golden trout is being renovated and will open soon. It was a little hard for the kids to behave, but we had lobster and crab with eggs and was a great breakfast.There are large number of statues and art work throughout the chateau and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Consistanty disappointed -a "Faux" luxury resort

by TripAdvisor Member momMaryland

I booked our reservation on line 4 months in advance along with dinner reservation times and 4 separate spa appointments (as was recommended by resort at booking). I requested a specific room in the comments area as well. Upon arrival, the front desk had no knowledge of my room request ( I had a copy of my confirmation and room request in hand) They attempted to give us a room right across from the elevator which I declined to accept. They could not have cared less for the omission. ~~ In fact the hotel was practically empty being the week after Thanksgiving!

While we waited for a room to be cleaned we had lunch at the Tavern. It also was empty and there was 3 wait staff and the service was very slow. I ordered a Brandy Old Fashioned and they came back saying that the bar didn't have any brandy but would try to find some. After finishing my meal, the drink finally came and it was terrible,-- all soda water. They apologized and offered free dessert but we had a spa appointment and left.

At the spa salon, my husband and I were seated to wait directly in front of a woman in a bath robe having her hair dried.~~Yet there was a lovely entry lounge no one was using. By the time we had finished reading a magazine, a staff person offered us a cup of tea--served in a styrofoam cup with the tea bag in it along with a wooden stick....hardly what one would expect in a luxury spa... The staff carried on several disruptive personal conversations while giving us our pedicures and foot treatments from separate areas.Then I was asked to move from the soaking foot tub/chair after another staff spoke to my attendant who then put her client in my chair and moved me. I was seated in a chair in the aisle and my pedicure was done with my foot placed on the trash can. Both my pedicure and manicure were sloppy and uneven, the worst I have ever had (french type). Our bill for the services with tip came to $210.00 !!!

We arrived for dinner at the signature restaurant Lautrec at 5:55pm (the itinerary warns guests no reservations will be held more than 15 minutes and guests will be charged $50 per person if cancelled less than 24 hrs).~~ The doors were open, the hostess was at the door and yet she refused to seat us saying: "Its not six o'clock and we are punctual, you can wait in the hall or go to the lobby bar and get a drink".-- I have never been "greeted" in such a fashion anywhere. It was as though we broke some rule or something. We have eatten at Le Cirq, French Laundry,The Plaza, Harbor Court, City Zen---you name it... No one has ever approached us in such a fashion. We ended up being seated at a window facing the entry porch and glaring outside porch lights. I made several comments about the glare and even asked to draw the sheers and they did not offer me another seat. There were only 5 tables being used the entire 2 hours we were there. Our bill for this was $320 for two. As for "professional" staff, our food server described the varioius desserts as "these ones are... and these ones are"...etc....

Overall, the staff in not trained, they do not dress professionaly, and it is evident that they themselves have not been to any luxury resort or hotel. They are clueless to the needs of guests or that they are insulting in their manners. I had reservations for the following eve at Lautrec and called the following morning to cancel them stating why when asked. I was told there would be a $50 pp charge because it was less than 24 hrs. I could not believe the audacity from this woman. A perfect example of how they don't get it! I refused to pay the fee. Later, that same eve a food manager phoned and wanted to know what the problem was, and she supported the staff stating that it is their policy not to seat anyone before 6pm. Any other luxury hotel would have bent over backward to try and make it "right" with an unhappy guest~~but not here.

There are numerous other issues such as a dirty room, 5p turndown etc., but overall, this resort does not come close to the word "luxury"-- unless costing a lot of money is what equals "luxury". Go to a real luxury hotel and stick with Mandarin Oriental or Fairmont Hotels and Resorts where you will really be treated like a welcomed "guest".

Low Class Resort

by TripAdvisor Member Dr. Hong

We have been to many spas and this was the worst by far. The front desk was so rude, "LAST NAME!" was how we were greeted. My in-laws were beside us, and both rooms were so hot we slept with the doors and windows opened during a snow storm. The bathroom tub had mildew and the sink light was broken.

At the gym, I went to the restroom and the floor flooded with stool and toilet paper after I flushed. The pool and whirlpool looked like the Holiday Inn. Our excursion was canceled because the Hummer was broken. The food was very mediocre and the martinis were totally watered down.

Thumbs down. Never to return.

Watch out or you will overpay for your room.

Be careful ....I called today to book a suite for next Tuesday night. A quick get away with my wife. After being quoted a price of 276 (which was a 15% discount) and breakfast I asked if that was the best she could do. We went back and forth and finally agreed on 30% off the suite. I said Id take it.

She said your total will be 305 and change. I asked if 276 was a 15% discount how is 305 30%?

She said she took the suite's full rate and deducted 30%. Naturally, I suggested we skip the reservation if thats the kind of place they run.

After thinking about it I called back and politely asked to speak to a manager who was busy with a job fair. I left my name and number and asked if they would please return my call. After all, the customer who complains is the business's best friend because they are giving them a chance to improve! Never got a return call. Must be nice, I think Ill stay someplace else Thank you! Be careful.

Stone House through the rainStone House through the rain