1 Lincoln Square, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, 17325, United States

Travelocity Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 37% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Best Hotel in G-Burg

Coming from a local of Gettysburg whom lives 6 miles out. Thinks and knows for sure that the Gettysburg Hotel is the most expensive but is also the most unique and fancy. If you book a room here you will have the best vacation getaway of your life. So please stay at the Gettysburg Hotel you will love it!!!

Directions: Coming off route 15 just stay on Lincoln Highway into the Square

• Very Nice

Just stayed one night for a wedding but it was a positive experience. Our room appeared to have been recently refurbishd and was larger than average. Nice bath but the tub was not a soaking tub so we just used it to shower in. The hotel is made up of several buildings that have been connected over the years so it is a bit disjointed. If you order food in the bar (the food is fine) your waitress has to disappear down the hall to get the food. The kitchen must be some distance away. Ths does not make for quick service. But the waitstaff and front desk crew are all very friendly. The hotel is right in the heart of Gettysburg with all the little "antique(?)" shops within an easy walk. I will stay here again when I do the battlefield tour.

Unique Quality: The banquet room is an old bank and it still has the old walk-in vault.

Directions: Right on the traffic circle in downtown Gettysburg.

• Good location, but not easy if you have luggage

We stayed here on a very busy weekend in October. I was there with my 81 year old mother. We parked in front (temporarily) to unload, but this was not easy. Although there is a ramp, it took some negotiating. There was no one to help with luggage so we got a cart and loaded it up. The luggage issue was inconvenient! The lobby's carpet was "wavy" but the hotel was clean. The room was large and beds were good. We ate a small dinner in the tavern that was smoke filled, but I guess you can expect that! Parking is in back and is an additiona $7.95. You have to have your ticke validated at the front desk to get that "discount." The hotel is on center square and traffic was awful, but it was because of the special events for that weekend. The price was a little high for what we got, but again it was a popular weekend. Unlike many hotels or motels, there was no complimentary breakfast.

More about Best Western Hotel

Don't waste your money!

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Best Western Gettysburg Hotel from October 14, 2005 through October 16, 2005. When I made reservations (through the hotel's front desk) over the phone, I was told that they had two rooms available for that weekend. One room had two double beds and one room had a King size bed overlooking the square. The prices were high, but I chose the room with the King size bed, which was more expensive.

Upon arriving in Gettysburg and pulling up to the hotel, I was excited because the hotel looked so cute from the outside and it was in the center of the square. We checked in at the front desk, got a room key and went upstairs. When I opened the door, I was really upset. The room had two double beds, stains all over the rug, rust in the bathroom, and a view of the parking garage. In addition there was a welcome bag in the room, with a bunch of goodies and a pamphlet that read "Welcome to our wedding weekend" and it contained a list of things to do and an agenda for someone's wedding. (There were 3 weddings going on in the hotel that weekend - and my boyfriend and I were not there as guests for any of those weddings).

Believing there must have been a mixup with my reservation, I went to the front desk. The woman at the desk told me that they were completely booked and while the hotel can guarantee me a room with a reservation, it was their policy that they could not guarantee me the room that I wanted or reserved. Realizing that such a policy is bad business, I asked to see a manager, several times. She finally called the manager after telling me there was nothing she could do for us except adjust my rate to reflect the price of the room with double beds.

The manager was very understanding and accommadating. Although there were no other rooms available that night, he gave me a better price for the room we were in and promised us a suite with a King size bed at a low rate for the next night. He also offered us free breakfast in their restaurant for the two days that we were staying there.

Becuase we had to change rooms the next day, we had to be out of the first room early in the morning and didn't have another room until 4pm that night. Our luggage was left behind the desk and we were in limbo.

To top it off, there were only two people working in the restaurant where we ate breakfast and there were a lot of customers. So, at one point there were no plates for the buffet, no cups to drink from, and neither of the two waitressess ever approached us to offer us coffee or tea (which are only available by waitress service, it is not self service for those items.)

I do not reccommend staying at this hotel - it is not worth the money!

Good Location

We unexpectedly ended up staying at this hotel after two other places nearer to the Gettysburg Visitor Center where we originally booked turned out rather dingy and shabby.

The weekend we stayed happened to be a reunion weekend for a local Gettysburg College - you can imagine the town was packed - and we arrived at this hotel after midnight following the above problems. Despite this, the front desk took time to help us (we wanted a King room for 3 nights and they even made calls to 7 other hotels nearby to see if any King was available). In the end, we took a Queen suite at this hotel. It was very clean, cute, and roomy.

The only problem we had was the room AC. Somehow it required several re-setting to get the right temperature. Each time when it was not working, the front person or someone came up to our room and fixed it.

Another minor inconvenience was not having the high-speed Internet connection in guest rooms. It is available in the lobby and restaurant area, so my husband had to take his laptop every monring there to check his email.

The parking was a short 2-block walk away and $8/day. Actually it was not that as inconvenient as it appeared once you found where it was.

The hotel is surrounded by many shops, restaurants, and bars. Due the the reunion weekend, nearby bars were open late with loud music on Saturday night. But we were also able to enjoy nice firework of the reunion party from our room window.

The front desk was always helpful and friendly when we needed advice on sightseeing, dining, etc. This is one of a very few nicer hotels in the downtown area. Unless you prefer Bed & Breakfast type accommodations, this one is pretty good and convenient. I would stay away most properties that are nearby the Visitor Center as they are essentially road-side motel types.

Not Bad

by TripAdvisor Member wmdude

We stayed at this Hotel after Thanksgiving for one night. The hotel was nice, in the middle of town. The staff was friendly and helpful. Our first room was in a part of the hotel that seemed like it was in a different building, and the room was musty. We asked for another room and got a nice room right across from the elevators. The room was nothing special, just a normal hotel room. It was comfortable and clean. The hotel didn't offer a free breakfast, so we went out for breakfast, but that wasn't a problem. Overall, a nice place to stay for a couple of extra bucks.

Stay somewhere else.

by TripAdvisor Member zfg900704

My family stayed here on July 16, 2005. We had a suite with two queen beds in the bedroom and a sleep sofa in the living room. I have never been to Gettysburg and chose this hotel because I thought it would be interesting to stay in a historic building. AAA also gave it an OK rating.

This hotel did not impress me at all.

First there was nobody to help with the luggage so we had to hunt for a cart and bring our own stuff in the room.

Second, we had an issue with parking. Eventhough, I checked twice regarding onsite parking accommodation for our SUV. The BestWestern agent assured me each time, that the hotel has ample onsite parking so it should not be an issue. When we got there, the clerk at the front desk told me that the garage which is a block away (so much for onsite) did not have the clearance. After expressing my disgust, I was offered two choices: an illegal parking space around town or outdoor parking three blocks away. Although, they offered to take care of paying any parking tickets for the illegal space (I was told they do this all the time), I chose to park legally 3 blocks away infront of the fire station.

Thirdly, the manager was rude (and probably still is). The next morning, I informed the manager of what went on the day before. She told me that it was MY fault for not calling the hotel directly to make the reservation and ask about parking. She said she is not responsible for what the 800 BestWestern reservation agent promises or says. However, she said, the hotel DID accommodate our car because the hotel provided parking for our car eventhough it was three blocks away. She also added that we could have parked closer if we chose the "other" option (It was our fault for not wanting to be crooks). No apologies from her which I would have gladly accepted.

Fourth, we did not get any sleep. Our room was across from the street where there was a bar which was open all night. It was so noisy from the people, cars and motorcycle.

I do not recommend this hotel. If I had to go to Gettysburg again, I will not stay here.

Will stay somewhere else

by TripAdvisor Member dillbar

This is a nice hotel, we stayed there for our one year wedding anniversary, we LOVE Gettysburg and usually stay at another hotel that is centrally located to where we like to go to when we are in Gettysburg. However, because it was our anniversary we decided to try this one, little pricey but nice room. Nothing out of the ordinary. However, the night was very noisey because of the traffic (right on the circle in center of town) and the bars around are open with alot of the local college kids there on the weekend.

We are looking for a room now for November for Gettysburg Remembrance Days and the Best Western has availability at twice the cost of what we paid when we were there before. The location nor room is worth that much so we definitely will not stay at this hotel again because of the outrageous price increase for this particular weekend. NOT WORTH IT!

I've emailed the hotel to tell them about the price, don't expect to hear back from them

kindness, generosity and attention to detail-We'll always stay there

by TripAdvisor Member ekkc

The staff at the Gettysburg Hotel came through for our family with charm, good nature, and openhearted kindness.

The background for this story can be found in the review I wrote for TripAdvisor on The Dobbin House Restaurant. Long story short, Dobbin House dropped the ball on my father's funeral dinner leaving us with no place to go on a very difficult night

So at 8 o'clock on a Saturday night, 13 people (we added a guest along the way) were upset, grieving, and hungry. My mother, a long time G'burg resident, suggested a call to the Gettysburg Hotel restaurant. On cell phones, from the cars, we called,

"Could you seat thirteen of us?" We explained the situation.

"Well, no, not thirteen together, but two tables of six and seven, we could do that" was the answer. "What time?"

"How 'bout five minutes from now? We're in the cars and we'll be there momentarily"

"Not a problem" they answered. I almost cried with relief.

We walked into the restaurant a few minutes later, tables were set for us, water was poured, drinks were being brought. And our waiter, Josh and the rest of the staff (whose names I unfortunately do not know and for that I apologize) went above and beyond the call of duty in tending to some very stressed --- but ultimately laughing and smiling --- patrons.

I cannot say enough about the kindness, generosity and attention to detail shown to us by the restaurant staff (even to the point of coming back to get a more precise description of just how rare one guest wanted her prime rib, describing what was available and suggesting that the Woodsman's Steak could be cooked to the perfect degree of rareness and would be a better choice)

We've been to Gettysburg often and have stayed in dozens of local hotels. Problems with room location, air conditioning issues, bad parking, inadequate water pressure -- these things can happen and they do happen when you travel -- but when you meet people who'll go out of their way to make a bad situation good again, to make your life a little better, those are the people you want to stay with again next time you visit.

We'll never stay at a different Hotel in G'burg again

The Place To Stay In Gettysburg!

by TripAdvisor Member Metsin2007

At the Gettysburg Hotel you will get plenty of what you really need in a hotel stay: efficiency and a smile! The staff is top notch, particularly at the front desk.
But a visit would not be complete without taking a seat on the most comfortable bar stool in America at McClellan's Tavern and spending a couple of hours with a bartender named Brock. It's people like Brock that will make your stay at the Gettysburg Hotel a great experience. Thanks for the memories Brock! We will be back!

Comments