Main Street, Honesdale, Pennsylvania, 18431, United States
Official Site Entertainment 720

More about Schrute Farms

ROMANTIC- Loved the hospitality and cozy feel of the B&B

by TripAdvisor Member LAU74

I L-O-V-E-D this place!! Perfect for couples to relax. My husban and I were tired of the Miami heat (85 degrees in Oct). We were able to see the autumn foliage - awww!

Loved the homemade breakfast and the staff was just so hospitable!!

Definitely unique - only beet farm B&B. My hubby and I totally recommende it. You need to check it out.

Run Away! Run Away!

by TripAdvisor Member winechicky

I booked this property as a getaway for my husband and myself because he really likes beets....I thought it would be an opportunity to rekindle the romance and learn a bit more about some of his interests.
Upon arrival, after getting our car stuck in a big pile of manure and having to "hoof it" to the farmhouse we met the proprietor Dwight Shrute. He gave us a eerie stare and sniffed the air in a strange manner.
He informed us that though I had booked the "irrigation" room, that the particular room category had been overbooked and we would be staying in the "American" room.( It must be hard to keep track of reservations for 3 rooms!)
The room condition was grim to say the least...the tables and dressers were piled with knick-knacks covered in inches of dust and the room only had one twin bed with a sunken lumpy mattress and a strange unidentifiable yeasty smell. The blanket looked as if it had hosted the 2006 moth convention!
When we complained after my husband was stabbed with a rusty bedspring the owner, Mr. Shrute said something like, "maybe your loved one should look into a diet plan" The nerve!
Anyway, the food was terrible!!!! We had to go out to the barn each morning and dig under the hens ourselves for eggs...the only edible thing on the Shrute Farm menu. Beet and beans, beets in a blanket, macaroni and beets, beet tar tar, beet lo mein, lemon beets, lucky beets, beet noodle soup, beet crispies (???), beet nuggets, pennslyvania beet roll...there was not even a non-beet side dish available!!!
One very disturbing and ongoing occurance at the farm was the screams coming from the barn in the late evening accompainied by engine noises and grunts. This was very disconcerting to say the least. I don't know what was going on in there but it can't be good.
The excursions left much to be desired. My husband was interested in beet farming so he took the barn tour which consisted of the owner taking the group into the barn and wrestling with his cousin as a kind of show(???)
I took the sidecar ride and was thrown from the vehicle at a high rate of speed resulting in a broken shoulder tended to by the "farm doctor" who seemed to be on an acid trip. You'll be happy to know that I have seen my regular doctor and am healing well now.
All in all it was a terrible experience. I did not mention the restroom situation because I am afraid it will bring back horrible horrible visions and I would like to just put it behind me.
I do not recccommend this awful place to anyone. In short...Run Away! Run Away!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Baglehunt

I just don't know what the other posters' problems are! Dingensbums's farm accommodation is about the best I ever stayed in, considering I have never been to Pennsylvania. I don't mind finding a dead cat in the fridge, there's worse things in life.
Breakfast was just great, the stewed beetroot sustained us for about 10 minutes. And we loved the dog, sorry it got shot. We found the bedroom to be beautifully decorated, the bed was very comfy. And it was so quaint having to don your wellies and dressing gown to go find the commodity. It was very funny to be accosted by Bernard, the beagle, and Laurence, the Labrador, in a snow storm.
I would certainly recommend this place to my friends, the barn is definitely for romantic persons!

Taxidermy, beet waffles and no locks!

by TripAdvisor Member FlyeredUp

They had the new taxidermy wing at this place opened while we were there and they had a cat name Sprinkles stuffed with a big zipper going through it. I asked about the zipper and Dwight said it was in case they needed to put his original innards back in. I thought this man to be capable of anything and not having locks on our rooms really gave us a scary feeling. If they get locks on the rooms and fix Sprinkles we'd return for the beet waffles and beet lasagna--sure hope they didn't use Sprinkles in the recipe!

They MADE us shovel snow off of the equipment

by TripAdvisor Member OnSiteStudios

OMG..My wife and I thought that we would have a nice romantic getaway. NFW! We had to get up before dawn and work!!!
This was NOT mentioned in any of their literature! Not only that, but the owner was reeeeeally creeepy. I think he was in our room while we slept.

Couldn't tell ya

by TripAdvisor Member artiebee

When I attempted to book a room the proprietor was very helpful until I gave my last name, which is Bear. Suddenly there were no vacancies "nor will there ever be any for YOUR KIND." I don't know what happened.

Can't beet it!

by TripAdvisor Member KlassyLady

From the simmering beet potpourri in the lobby to the stunning beet shaped lighting fixtures in the dining room, Schrute Farms B&B spells class! I highly recommend the spa services offered, although pricey, the whipped beet facial was amazing and my skin has never looked so good. I am positively glowing. Although I’ve never been one to try new foods, I found the chef’s special “Roadkill Surprise” casserole very tasty. I was astonished by how satisfying unidentified meats can be when seasoned properly, found a few small bones and it was a bit gamey, but in a really good way. The beets flambé were genius.

Be Afraid, be very afraid...

by TripAdvisor Member itchyandscratchy50

Since I have never been to either a beet farm or Pennsylvania I thought that this would make a perfect, relaxing holiday. I booked the Night-time suite--and just let me say--do not ever, ever book this "suite". There are no windows....no lights.....no candles. I think there are big spiders in there too, but it is so dark you can't see them (but I swear I could hear them....). Most of what happened that night has been buried deep in my brain-survival instinct you know!! lol

Now, the food....I must say that the deep fried "Beet" fries were interesting and quite delicious with the homemade Beet Catsup. Coffee made with beet juice, well let's just say I could have lived without that. BTW, my lips are still red--sort of sexy.

The washrooms are shared and you are timed!! If your time is up the lights go out (no big deal for me as I was quite used to the Night-time suite) and the hot water was cut off. I think they make their own soap--out of beets, of course. Hmm, maybe it wasn't soap at all--just a hunk of beet....that might explain a lot of things.

Go if you like beets and spiders.....(in other words, don't go.....)

Bad Bad Bad

by TripAdvisor Member u7eric

There was a very strong smell of cow crap. The mattress was lumpy. The food was cold and bland. The proprietor was always talking. I mean, he would not shut up. DON'T GO!!!

Comments