100 South 4TH Street
Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Travel Tips for Huntingdon

Raystown Dam

by dilbertjones

The main attraction in Huntingdon is Lake Raystown. Which was formerly known as the Raystown Dam. Don’t ask me why the old lake was called the dam, but it was. It is a great place for boating swimming and fishing. You can rent boats at The Anchorage, owned by Jim Filson and go water skiing. His boats are sort of slow and sort of expensive. There are several ramps where you can put your boat in the water. If you have a boat, that is the way to go, or rent a boat somewhere else and put it in yourself. I am a boat renter , not owner myself. There is also many places to go swimming. I like to go to Park’s road for just plain swimming. You can swim several hundred yards to the island in the lake. It is sort of an endurance test. For fishing, if you are out of town, I suggest a guide. There are lots of fish, but it takes a while to learn the lake. It will be easy to find a guide once you are in town.

Huntingdon (PA)

by 50939

I visited Huntingdon on my tour across North America in 2000.

This was before I became a VT-Member. So you can view my photos only on my homepage:

The Huntingdon Experience...

by mjunkin

I've spent a lot of time in Huntingdon as a student at Juniata College. Most of my knowledge is limited to my few years here, but I'm also a native of Central PA, so I've got pretty good insight about local customs, etc.

Huntingdon - It's natural to like it here.

by jacobsrun

"Interesting places in the least thought of areas."

Huntingdon has a rich pioneer and industrial history as well as retaining its ability to be the cultural center of the area. It was founded during the French and Indian war on what at the time was the western most part of the English Colonies. William Smith of the University Of Pennsylvania wanted to find a place where upstanding citizens could live in a peaceful surrounding, and gave it the name of the English Countess of Huntingdon who loaneed the money he needed to start the town. It still maintains that charm and quality. It has been a railroad, paper, textile and fiberglass production center for years as well as the center of banking and other professional trades in the area. Today it hosts Juniata College and is just north of the fishing, camping and boating paradise of Lake Raystown. It has a close proximity to Amish country, Lincoln and Indian Caverns, Swaggart Auto Museum, at least three major state parks, Penn State's Main and Altoona campuses, and AA Minor League Baseball in Altoona. It boasts of a historic downtown area with beautiful architecture. During the summer hundress of people converge on nearby Orbisonia/ Rockhill Furnace for two difference major Christian music and preaching festivals: Creation East and Jesus festivals. Huntingdon has many things to offer and is still quite unknown, so get its while its hot.

Comments