815 E Baltimore Pike
Hilton Garden Inn Kennett Square
Orbitz.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Costs 22% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Kennett Square

Private dining roomPrivate dining room

Open KitchenOpen Kitchen

Water canna, Banana and begonias in display.Water canna, Banana and begonias in display.

Waterlilies at Longwood Garden.Waterlilies at Longwood Garden.

Travel Tips for Kennett Square

Family fun

by acemj

I went to Longwood Gardens with my sister and my nephew and spent the day exploring the massive complex. It's a great day for anyone interested in gardening, but if you're like me and you don't know a tulip from a begonia, you'll still enjoy spending the day wandering among the beautifully landscaped grounds exploring hidden corners, spectacular topiaries, bursting colors and leaping fountains of water.

THE LAND OF MUSHROOMS AND FLOWERS

by Rich62

"SUMMER INTERN AT LONGWOOD GARDENS"

LONGWOOD GARDENS, on Route 1 in southeastern Pennsylvania just east of Kennett Square, was created by Pierre DuPont (yes, thats THE Dupont family) for the enjoyment of the public and, some say, as a nice tax writeoff. But for whatever reason, they are well worth visiting.

In the summer of 1966 I was a Horticulture major at Colorado State University and was selected, along with 12 other students from the U.S. and South Africa, to be a summer intern. Do you see the tower above? my first job was trimming the vines that were overtaking the top of the tower. The waterfall to the left of the tower is man-made and turned on each morning, but is very nice to see and hear.

"THE INCREDIBLE FOUNTAINS"

IN A HUGE FORMAL GARDEN AREA you will find these computer-controlled fountains. They put on a spectacular display and can be viewed from the ground level or from a large balcony across the garden.

I NEARLY FORGOT TO MENTION...Kennett Square is also the mushroom growing capital of the United States. Sadly, I have no pictures to show you, but there are many growing houses in this area. Just look at the label on a can of mushrooms in your grocery store, and it is likely to come from Kennett Square or the immediate area.

"THE FOUNTAINS AT NIGHT"

EVEN AFTER DARK...NO, ESPECIALLY AFTER DARK, the fountains are an amazing sight to see. Computer-controlled colored lights give the whole performance an added dimension. You will not forget what you see here.

By the way, the gardens are about 30 miles west of Philadelphia, on Route 1.

LONGWOOD GARDENS

by eugini2001

"Meet Sir Peirce-du Pont House"

It was Christmas 2004! I didn't expect green grass meadows or fountain shows in December, I thought it would be something like our Botanic Garden in Brooklyn,with one small difference -it used to be the private estate of old Du Pont! So i was ready for some really quite,silent & "sleeping nature" visit. But I saw & enjoyed more than I had expected! So now meet Sir Peirce -du Pont in his own house! I mean his portrait on the wall in his cosy house!For some reason it's so red on VT pages,but it's good on my computer,so I'm sorry!Joshua and Samuel Peirce began planting an arboretum in 1798. In 1906, Pierre du Pont purchased the farm so that he could preserve the trees. Longwood owes most of its public appeal to Pierre du Pont and his innate sense of garden as theater, tying Longwood to the great gardens of Italy and France. The Dawn Redwood, or Metasequoia, is referred to as a living fossil since it was first described from fossils found in 1941 and the first living trees were not discovered until 1948. The Longwood Gardens Dawn Redwood is a proud specimen in the Arboretum, where the seeds were collected to grow these rare trees.

"kitchen"

What I liked in the house was the kitchen,sure I'm a woman!

"library"

But my husband said I looked better in the library

Comments