222 Eden Road, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, 17601, United States

BestWestern.com Travelocity Otel.com

Costs 43% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Horrible General Manager Runs This Place

This is my letter to GM Stephen J. Sikking:

Steven Sikking (ssikking@edenresort.com )
    Best Western Eden Resort Inn
    Lancaster, PA 17601

Dear Mr. Steven Sikking this past weekend I had stayed at your Eden Resort Inn and had a horrible stay experience there. While I was staying at your hotel I also had left you three messages on your personal voice mail at your hotel and you never returned any of my phone calls. Your outgoing message at the hotel said you were in the office and would return phone messages left for you. I had left you my room number and my cell phone number so I would not miss your phone call. But you never returned any of my phone calls.

I had stayed at the Courtyard Lancaster hotel last year and had a wonderful stay experience there. I wanted to give your Resort Inn a try from reading the reviews posted on Tripadvisor.com. My experience at your Resort was a nightmare. I have not posted my review of your Resort on Tripadvisor.com as of yet.

From the start when I check in with my wife and two small children, the lady at the desk (Mrika) was not very organized, lost my pre-paid tickets to the breakfast buffet, I had to ask for my tickets to the amusement parks more than once even though it was listed on my reservation. When I told Mrika that I did not have the pre-paid breakfast tickets, she said she gave them to me. She made me check my pockets, open up my wallet, like she was doing a strip search of me. I asked to speak to the manager and she told me he was with a guest right now and I can call him later. I also asked Mrika if she had any chocolate bars for the kids, she told me no. I told Mrika that I was surprised because when I stayed at the Courtyard Lancaster my kids were given two chocolate bars at check in. Also I stayed at Hershey Park in the past at that seem to be a customary thing that is done at any decent hotel in this area. Mrika told me there are chocolate mints for the kids. I told Mrika, small children don’t eat mints because it is a choking hazard.

Once I got up to my room I called the front desk and asked for the hotel manager. Eric finally came to the phone. I told him what had happened with Mrika. Eric gave me the third degree over the phone telling me more than once that they have ways to track these breakfast tickets and that if more than two are presented at my table I am going to be charged. I told Eric that Mrika never gave me the breakfast tickets, and could not understand why he just did not give me new ones without making all the fuss. I also asked him once again that my kids did not get any chocolate bars at check in, and from my experience staying at other hotels in the area that is customary. He told me they don’t do that there and that was it. Eric was not very accommodating, treated me very poorly over the phone. In not so many words Eric was calling me a liar about the breakfast tickets. And what is so ironic is the breakfast buffet at your resort is so-so. My wife and I found the breakfast buffet choices were very limited, and did not even feel it was even worth what we paid for it.

Our refrigerator in our room was also not working. My wife had put a bunch of milk and chocolate milk and some small food for the kids in it. When we returned to the room that night everything in it was spoiled. I called the front desk at spoke with Marci. I told Marci that all the milk and food my wife put in the refrigerator was spoiled. I also told her the refrigerator was making weird sounds. Marci had someone come look at it and it was replaced with another one because it was broken. Marci never offered to replace any of the milks or spoiled items. Since right next to the front desk is a place where the hotel desk charges guest for milks, chocolate and other items it would not have been difficult for her to do. It also would not have been difficult for Eric the hotel manager to give my kids two chocolate bars.

Coffee pot in room was filthy. I could not even have a cup of coffee in my room. The place where the water goes had packed on dust in it and was not sanitary to drink from. The Knobs were falling off closet in room. Most of the stations on the TV were very snowy.

The beds in our room were very small and my wife who is pregnant did not sleep at all both nights because she was very uncomfortable in it. I had asked Mrika if she could give us another room with queen beds and was told no. I also tried to call your Mr. Sikking for your help and see if you could make our stay better on our second night there but you never called me back after leaving you three messages.

When we had to walk through hotel lobby to get to our room or go to breakfast the ceiling was falling down my son slipped on floor. There were ladders and buckets all over the place and no one roped off area to keep hotel guest safe. You had to walk around the wet floor and debris and water leaking from ceiling.

Mr. Sikking, since you have not gotten back to me I am going to contact Best Western Corporate Headquarters and see if someone in Mr. David Kong’s office can address my complaints.

Cc.
    Mr. David Kong President & CEO via fax (623) 780-6199

This is the lettter Stephen J. Sikking wrote me:

I have spoken to both Mr. Eric Brown and Ms. Mrika Kallaba regarding the incident you and I discussed yesterday. I have talked with my chief engineer regarding the ceiling leak and subsequent clean up. As I mentioned in both my letter yesterday and during our subsequent conversation it certainly appears as though the items you encountered were unusual occurrences at the Eden.

Both Eric and Mrika acknowledged the breakfast ticket mix-up during the registration process. According to Eric he quickly offered to replace the tickets once he was made aware of the situation, but he apologizes if he made you feel as though he was questioning your honesty. He explained that your wife came to the desk to retrieve the tickets and at that time he even offered chocolates to your children. Unfortunately, the chocolate had nuts in them and your wife explained that your children were allergic to nuts.

I believe the hotel staff worked diligently to correct the sudden roof leak caused by heavy rains and within a short time they had a safe path with non-skid carpet runners placed on the tile in that area. The ceiling tiles were unable to be replaced until the leak itself was resealed.

Although you encountered some unusual situations I still believe the Eden Resort offers the areas best overall value on a consistent basis. I would like to encourage you to return to the property and try us again by offering you a complimentary overnight stay with breakfast for four based on the hotels availability.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to take advantage of this offer. I am sure you will find your next stay much more satisfactory.

Thank you again for your time and patience in allowing me to address this situation. I do hope you consider trying us again in the near future.

Sincerely,

717-560-8415

When I tried to take GM Stephen J. Sikking up on the complimentary overnight stay this is the email he sent me:

I am retracting my offer below as a result of my recent conversation with Best Western. You should have made me aware of the fact that they had already offered you $100 when we were talking. Unfortunately, every once in a while I come across someone more interested in taking advantage of a businesses hospitality rather than in being fair. You are clearly that type of person.

I cannot prevent you from using your gift card but I can prevent you from receiving any further discounts from the Eden Resort. I do not care to discuss this situation any further with you.

Best Western Eden Resort Inn & Suites

From: Steve Sikking
    Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 3:52 PM
    To: 'ForSale ByOwner'
    Subject: Eden Resort

After reviewing August 9 and 10 I have found the best I can offer is the following:

Two room King or Queen Suite: $451.46 less $149= $302.46 plus tax (includes breakfast for two days)

Two Queen beds deluxe poolside: $314.92 less $149= $165.92 plus tax (includes breakfast for two days)

Two queen beds deluxe: $296.92 less $149 = $147.92 plus tax (includes breakfast two days)

Considering the time of year these are very good offers. Please let me know by tomorrow night if you are interested in reserving any of these rooms.

Best Western Eden Resort Inn & Suites

Direct: 717-560-8415

Main: 717-569-6444

Fax: 717-569-4208

Lancaster PA 17601

222 Eden Road Lanca... Larger Map

The funny thing is Best Western Corporate Office offered my the $100 after Stephen J. Sikking letter offering me a complimentary stay to try to get me to come back and try there hotel again. The $100 from Best Western Corporate was a thank you to me for choosing Best Western.

Anyway Stephen J. Sikking last email to me was not professional and very discourteous to a guest who spent over $450 after spending two horrible nights at his hotel.

GM Stephen J. Sikking has a problem also returning guest phone calls when left with his voice mail. This is one place to avoid.

Last year my family and I stayed at the Courtyard Marriot at 1931 Hospitality Dr. What a wonderful stay we had there. The Courtyard Marriot is the place to stay if you are looking to stay somewhere in Lancaster.

Unique Quality: Pool

Directions: Lancaster

• Great hotel

We just came back from Lancaster and stayed at the Best Western Eden Resort Inn. This is a beautiful hotel that has recently been renovated. A modern hotel that had internet connection in room or you could use the numerous computers in the lobby or office center.

We stayed at their newly renovated Queen suites. These are 2 rooms connected by a kitchenette that had a microwave,small refrigerator and coffee maker. In one room were 2 queen beds and the other room had 1 queen bed. Both rooms had flat screen TV's. Nice clean granite bathrooms!

Our family of 4 had a great time. The 2 seperate rooms allowed the adults to rest in the afternoon away from the busy kids playing! Would definitely stay here again!

More about Best Western Eden Resort Inn And Suites

Loved the Eden Resort!

by TripAdvisor Member young814

My husband, toddler son and I wanted to take a mini break during the Father's Day weekend and decided to stay at the Eden Resort in Lancaster after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor. Admittedlly, I'm a bit of a hotel snob and the Marriott was my first choice, but it was completely booked. I haven't been wowed by any Best Westerns in the past, so I was a bit hesitant but we were in for a pleasant surprise. Per another reviewer's advice, when I called to make a reservation, I asked for one of the renovated suites which was only $20 more a night. When we got there the suite itself and the hotel in general far surpassed our expectations. It was also an incredible value. I payed a 3 star hotel price for a suite that would put other 5 star hotels to shame. The furnishings in the suite were tasteful, beautiful, modern and very clean. There was one plasma screen tv in the living room area and another in the bedroom. I was also pleasantly surprised to see a refrigerator and microwave - very handy when you have a little one. The shower was huge, and beautiful! The room and hotel were so exquisite that we could've stayed in the entire weekend and still had plenty to do. Both the indoor and outdoor pools looked very inviting. There was a basketball court and a playground on site. There was also a very good, and inexpensive restaurant on the premises (we didn't get around to trying the more expensive one). The menu was varied and the food was quite good. No complaints at all about this hotel, and trust me, I'm a very picky traveller. We will definitely go back in the near future.

great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member NYLisaNY

We were so happy we stayed at the Eden resort. Our room (a regular room, not a suite) was large and comfortable. The indoor pool was clean, large and nicely decorated (it was too cold to swim outside). The lobby and other facilities were extremely nice - especially considering the low rate. The free internet access in the lobby was a plus. We will definitely go back to this hotel and highly recommend staying here when you are in the Lancaster area.

Very Nice!

by TripAdvisor Member travel006

My family and I just spent the 4th of July weekend at the Best Western Eden Resort. It was a very nice hotel! I too was pleasantly surprised and was skeptical about staying at a Best Western (Hyatt Regencys are my 1st choice). The landscaping was beautiful. We stayed in one of the newly renovated family suites which was very nice. The shower was nice with the 2 shower heads, the king bed comfy. We prepaid for the breakfast buffet at check-in (it is cheaper that way) and it was marvelous! It has fruit, eggs, pancakes, french toast, etc. and was in a very nice restaurant. We also had dinner in Garfields one night which is equivalent to a TGI Fridays - which was fine with kids. The outdoor pool was also nice - it stayed open until 10pm.

All in all, I would have to say that this is a very nice hotel. We stayed at the Country Inn and Suites directly across from Dutch Wonderland before, but this Best Western is far superior even if it is 10 minutes away from Dutch Wonderland. The drive isn't a big deal and it is still centrally located to all of the Lancaster area. We would definitely stay here again.

I just had to write a review because having just gone through the exercise of reading all the reviews before booking this hotel, I found them to be invaluable and I trust that others would do the same. I too am very picky and found this to be a VERY nice hotel.

Family Reunion

by TripAdvisor Member Travelsuster

We selected this hotel for our annual family reunion based on my brother's stay there in November with his church for a marriage retreat. We were there this past weekend August 4-6, 2006. For the most part I would say we were 95% pleased.

Everyone seemed pleased with their rooms, but like some have said on this site some of the rooms have been renovated and other have not. I actually stayed in one of their club suites which was okay. It could have been a little cleaner. The bed was not made as neatly as I would have liked but on close inspection the linen appeared clean but a little thin. Definitely time for some new linen. I was a little trouble by the lack of a mattress pad on either of the beds. This room has a full kitchen which we used less than I had anticipated. It appeared pretty clean. The bathroom again could have been cleaner, there was hair behind the door in the bathroom and a little bit in the tub. We always travel with our own bathroom spray and Lysol so we just sprayed it down really good.
I would say we were 93-95% pleased with our rooms.

We held two different events at the hotel. The first was held on Saturday afternoon in their State Room. The room was set up beautifully and the staff on duty in the room was very attentive and helpful. The next day we had a prayer breakfast in the Presidential Room. The room was not set up as planned and was not ready at the time we were promised. When they finished setting up the room it was nice but we had to wait while they did it. The food for both events was very good and plentiful. Everyone was pleased in the end.

As the person in charge of most of the plans I had a few concerns: 1. They don't have a 1-800 # for out of town planners to use. I found that I did a lot of calling and when I left messages I still had to call back again to get answers to the messages I left.
2. That no one from the sales office checked in after the events to make sure everything went well or as planned. Nor has anyone called to follow-up or thank us for using their property for our event. I just think it is good business practice to follow-up. Maybe I'll get a letter in a few days we'll see. 3. Considering that we were scheduled to be in our prayer breakfast until 12 noon I asked for a late check-out. The lady at the front desk was less than courtesy about my request. I was only asking for a 90 minutes extension in my check out. As there were several people checking out of the club suites were I was staying I am sure if the person cleaning the rooms had made mines last it would not have been an big problem. Maybe that is why the rooms are not thoroughly cleaned because they are trying to turn them around so quickly. but aside from that I did not like her attitude but I will try not to let it spoil the rest of my stay. 4. I guess I am not happy with the fact that I had to inquire about the bills for the banquet events we had. No one said the that bills would be left at the front desk. If I would not have asked I would not have known. I've done several of our families events and I've always been presented the bill by someone from the sales office. I never had to ask for a bill.

I would like to mention also that we had a bowling party which was arranged at the last minute when another activity was canceled by the hosting church. The Garden Spot Bowling Alley filled the bill quite nicely. We had a great time and it was really inexpensive since we were able to take advantage of a special that they were having. We also saw Ruth at the Sight and Sound.

All in all we had lovely weekend. I would recommend Lancaster as a good place for a family reunion or any other group. And I would recommend the Eden Resort as a good host hotel.

Best - Best Western

by TripAdvisor Member raincheck10

If there is such a thing as a 4 star Best Western, this is the place. From check in to check out everything went very smoothly. Parking is abundent, the lobby and restaurants were fresh and inviting and the rooms very clean and nicely furnished. One thing to be carefull of is that some rooms face the interior courtyard and pool. The night of our stay a wedding was taking place, but the hotel gave us advanced notice by way of a note in our room. I found it fun to watch the wedding from my balcony instead of watching TV. The indoor pool was excellent (except for lots of chlorine) and the gym had high end True equipment. It was a bit cool for the outdoor pool, but it also looked very nice.

I agree with other reviewers, this is the best place for the money in Lancaster.

Very nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member nmesq

We stayed one night in this hotel and really liked it. We have 2 small children so the pools were important to us. Both the outdoor and indoor pool were very nice, although we only used the indoor one since it was a little cool while we were there. The rooms were good size and had a small refridge - we stayed in a standard room with 2 queen beds and I think it was recently renovated - nothing looked worn and used in our room. While we were there, renovations were currently going on, on the other floors. If you have small kids (ages 2-10) I would definitely try to visit the Hands on House museum that is about a mile up the road from the hotel. We have a 2 and 4 year old that loved it - you can definitely make an afternoon out of it!

The room was nice

by TripAdvisor Member Jesussaves

Let me first tell you to ask for the renovated suites, or rooms. The first night we did not receive the room with the flat screen tv like we had called the hotel and requested. They compensated us for the second night by providing us with a two bedroom suite for the same price. It was very nice. They need to be a little more organized. Seems they had overbooked the rooms with the flat screen tv's. Met about two other guests who did not get the rooms they had requested either. Overall it is a very nice hotel, and we would definitely stay there again.

Dirty Rooms

by TripAdvisor Member Cosmoangel

We stayed at the hotel the last week of july. We booked two rooms for two nights. When we checked into the rooms, they had not been cleaned. The beds were made and such, but the bathhrooms were bad. I am not a clean freak and I still found it disgusting. When I went into the bathroom, the floor and tub were covered in hair, there was fingernails on the floor (gross). I called front desk, they sent someone to clean it up. I had to point everything out. This guy couldn't see filth right infront of his face. He did not do a very good job, when I went to wash my hands there was a ring around the sink. My parents were in the room next door, they must have went into the bathroom and it was covered in hair also. One room overlooked I could probably accept, but two rooms, is obviously poor quality. I would expect a lot more for the price we paid. Also, the rooms windowed on to a conference/ball room. You had to keep the drapes closed for privacy. Very bizare not having exposure to outside light. We were so disappointed and uncomfortable at this hotel that we checked out early and found a place to stay in hershey instead.

Comments