Lovelace Manor Bed and Breakfast

2236 Marietta Pike, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, 17603, United States

• Make sure you stay here!

My Wife and I stayed here 2 nights. We've stayed in a few 5 star + hotels throughout the world and we would definitely return to the Lovelace! Lark and Michael are excellent hosts. The room was beautiful and the sheets were the most comfortable we've ever slept in! Location was great and rates were reasonable. Breakfast was amazing!

More about Lancaster

Steven's tomb and grave of his nephewSteven's tomb and grave of his nephew

Plai & Fancy NoticePlai & Fancy Notice

A Young Amish Woman With Modern AssistanceA Young Amish Woman With Modern Assistance

My friend Dick.  He's moving to Wyoming next yearMy friend Dick. He's moving to Wyoming next year

What to do

by bebop88

I have some visitors coming next week and thinking to take them to the Lancaster area for a day. Since I've never been there, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on what to do or see there. What do you think is the most impressive thing there or something worth seeing. I am trying to avoid the tourist traps if I can. Any help appreciated - thanks.

by littlesam1

Perhaps you could take them to Peaque Valley. It is not far from the Lancaster area. There is a beautiful state park there with a place called the Pinnacle which is a beautiful overlook of the Susquehanna River. There is also a vineyard at Peaque Valley. I hope I am spelling Peaque correctly. Its pronounced "Peck Way". But it is a nice non tourist area near Lancaster. Then there is always the Amish Country, but that is more touristy. Maybe a trip to Hershey?

Just some suggestions. I live in Maryland but have family in the Lancaster area.

Larry

by bebop88

I found a little town of Pequea about 15 miles south of Lancaster, along the Susquehanna River. Could that be it? There is a state park about 5 miles south of there. Ok, thanks for the info.

by billus

visit Lititz, founded by the Moravian Curch in 1756, about 15 miles north of Lancaster. Lititz was a closed religious settlement for a century whose buildings betray a pronounced Central European influence. Perambulate the grounds of the Zinsendorf community buildings, church and brethren houses . See the Mueller house and the Lititz museum, dating to 1790, looking like little stone rowhouses transplanted from Germany. It is uncanny seeing the transfer of building, religious and farming technique directly from the old world to new. On a modern note there is a fantastic new Swiss watchmakers school north of the town on the left on Route 501. It looks like a pair of classic stone farmhouses crossed with a couple of grounded zeppelins. Weirdly there is nothing, repeat nothing betraying its name, nature, or provenance. How Swiss can you get?

by travelmad478

And of course, the Lititz pretzel factory.

by littlesam1

You found Peaque. Thats the place I was talking about. If its a nice day the Pinnacle is very pretty with the overlook and everything....

by bebop88

Just wanted to say thanks for the travel tips to Lancaster. Will probably be heading there this weekend. Larry - thanks for the info on Peaque, the view sounds great and hope we get time to see it. Bill - thanks for the info on Lititz and all the euro influence, will definitely stop and have a look. And Julie, certainly we're not gonna miss those pretzels. Sure will be a great snack on a long day. :)

Thanks again for your help,
Brian

by INVITATION2

If you can get tickets for the Sights and Sounds, to see The Mircles of Christmas, you would very much impress them. I am from Virginia and have been to see Daniel and Noah Arch, and it almost left me breathless. How old are your Guest?

by newbie1

Make sure you go to see the Strasburg Railroad. In that same area is the Pennsylvania RR musuem that contains many of the turn of the century locomotives and passenger cars.
If you enjoy food, go to either "Good n Plenty", or, "Plain and Fancy" family style restaurants. They sit you at a table for 12, introduce everyone, and then begin bringing out some of the most delicious Dutch dishes you will find. Anytime a dish is just about empty, they bring another plate. This goes for desserts also.

by jimkpa

I live in Myerstown 20 min north if Lititz and never knew what that inpressive building was. We always wonder as we pass by on 501

Travel Tips for Lancaster

What you have heard is not always what you see!

by ringleader

Although we don't live in Lancaster County, our local area north and slightly west of Philadelphia has a strong Mennonite influence. Although our family is not Mennonite, I spent a large portion of my elementary school years in a Christian Mennonite school, so I learned a lot about the culture.

The Mennonites have a wide range of religious persuasion - from those who live close to their Amish brothers' ways by traveling in horse and buggies, etc. to very liberal in religious and political convictions.

We were told that the Amish children have until age 21 to determine whether they will continue in the Amish faith or not. A lot of behaviour is excused until then. A friend of mine saw a young Amish boy in traditional dress pull his horse and buggy into a garage and a short time later re-appeared in jeans and a flannel shirt, driving a convertible.

At age 21, we understand that they must settle down in the Amish ways or be excommunicated from the family circle; however, if they choose to attend a Mennonite church instead, they can then run as far as liberal and chances are this will still be accepted by the family.

Perhaps what you have heard is not always what you see or what "you get" when you observe these cultures. You may see an Amish man climbing into the passenger-side of a mini-van. This is because, while they may not DRIVE a car or have electricity in their homes, they don't necessarily have a problem letting their neighbors take them to the doctor, shopping, or other places. They may store their meat in their neighbor's freezer. And, it is entirely possible that they may have and use generators or propane gas!

Candy Americana Museum at Wilburs Chocolate

by Easty

Candy Americana Museum and Wilbur's Chocolate Company

A very interesting stop. Not to the degree as nearby Hershey. But this offers the tourist a tour of an authentic chocolate factory. The store is a must see for any chocolate lover.

Wilbur's Chocolate Company is located on PA Route 501 in downtown Lititz.

Entertainers - Kitchen Kettle Village

by Mikebb

The village is a great place to visit, enjoy the shops and beautiful food but the highlight of the day was the entertainment. These guys were fabulous, they would sing a few songs, tell a few jokes and then ask for requests.

Grab a table, some nice food and a good coffee and just sit and enjoy the show. I heard one visitor say when he last visited 25 years ago these guys were the entertainment. Enjoy the show and donate a few dollars.

Wilbur Chocolate Company (Wilbur Buds!)

by Knight_Kadosh

Candy Americana Museum, this prized collection of the museum has more than 150 hand-painted European and Oriental antique porcelain chocolate pots, some bearing the names Haviland, Limoges, and Dresden.

Open 10am to 5pm Monday through Saturday
Call about special Holiday Hours
Toll free 1-888-294-5287

~ Lancaster & Amish Country, Pennsylvania ~

by noidiotsplease

Lancaster is the gateway to rural Pennsylvania Dutch Country. I traveled to Lancaster with my parents and brother back in 1992 while returning home from a road trip to Canada. While we stayed at a chain hotel in the Lancaster, we actually spent most of our time in the area traveling through the Amish towns and farmlands east of the city.

Be mindful of your camera.

Pennsylvania Dutch Country is interesting for its stark contrasts. For starters there are the clashing worlds of the tourists and the locals. For instance, like typical tourists we filmed a lot of what we saw through the car windows while driving around the central highway and back roads, just like we would do in other places we traveled. Of course, the Amish, as characteristic of their strict religious views, shun photography and most technology. At one point an Amish person saw our camera as we passed and suddenly ducked out of the way so as not to be captured on film. That said, please be considerate. Don’t annoy the Amish.

Yes, that is really the town’s name.

We saw another interesting culture clash when visiting a general store/souvenir shop in the Amish village of Intercourse. While the town’s name may be an eye-opening to most visitors, the Amish came up with it simply due to the fact that the town sits at the intersection or “intercourse” of two roads. Nevertheless, even in the midst of Amish Country, enterprising hawkers can’t resist the temptation to cash in on the double entendre. As a result, when we were walking through the aforementioned store, we saw authentic country crafts, like face-less Amish dolls, but we also saw another breed of merchandise touting the words “I’ve been to Pennsylvania. Ask me about Intercourse.”

Let’s buggy.

A third contrast we noticed derives from the odd juxtaposition of different transportation modes. The Amish ride around town in their traditional, slow-moving, horse-drawn buggies. These buggies not only traverse the back roads, but even the main highway. Of course, the rest of us are driving modern cars and trucks along these same streets. At one point I saw a hulking semi truck cruising down the country road between two crop fields. I imagine that it might be a bit intimidating to have a Peterbuilt breathing down the back of one’s buggy, but the Amish are not deterred from their simple ways.

Our Amish Country experience came to a close eating dinner at a country-style restaurant in the town of Bird-in-Hand while fireflies began to dance around in the dusk darkened skies. The next morning, we left Pennsylvania, heading out from Lancaster to Interstate ? Shortly after skirting past the city of York, we crossed southward into the state of Maryland.

Visit my PENNSYLVANIA page.

Comments