Rodeway Inn Hotel Italian Villa

More about Lancaster

'Veteran' of the War of 1812'Veteran' of the War of 1812

Guide & Tourists In Multimedia HallGuide & Tourists In Multimedia Hall

In Full FlightIn Full Flight

A typical sign, by the Rockvale Shopping Complex.A typical sign, by the Rockvale Shopping Complex.

Interesting but simple accomodations...w/o formality & victorian ruffles

by Pawtuxet

We're on our way to Lancaster, Hershey and Lebanon, PA. this summer. Trying to find a small quiet spot to stay while in the area. Enjoy old. Heard about the great Penna. Dutch cooking. Don't like the standard motels, hotels, and frilly Victorian B&B's. Maybe a farm stay...if it isn't 10 miles from every restaurant? Is there a simple old inn? Cottage with kitchenette..or breakfast included? Guess I'm a bit fussy, but don't like the impersonal, expensive and (I feel) uncomfortable glitzy tourist traps. Don't need luxury so much as comfy.

RE: Interesting but simple accomodations...w/o formality & victorian ruffles

by Pawtuxet

WE found what I think will be a perfect spot. We will stay in Churchtown Inn's Amish Country Cottages. There is a B&B settled in the farmlands...with a 1700's stone cottage with wide plank wood floors and full kitchen. We'll be on a 23 acre Pool forge estate ... one of the nation's early Iron Plantations. The first evening has us booked to have dinner in an Amish family's home. Known as the Covered Bridge Cottage...I'm really looking forward. Located just minutes from Lancaster, Bird-in-Hand, Intercourse, etc.

RE: RE: Interesting but simple accomodations...w/o formality & victorian ruffles

by cherylrf

I recieved your response but can't find it again. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your time in Lancaster. I have also looked at your travel pages and I feel like I've just been on vacation! How fortunate you are. My husband and I are going to Key West in October - a much anticipated vacation even for us "oldies". It will be a time away from his business and from work and from the children and grands (we will miss them all terribly though!) and from "Mom" who now lives with us. We are very family oriented so we spend lots of time with everyone usually at my house. I also LOVE having Mom with us but it will be nice to be just a couple again! My husband is retired Navy so we were in San Diego for awhile. The picture of the flowers and the cart - I knew right away that it was from Old Town! Thanks for the mini-vacation. Cheryl

Travel Tips for Lancaster

Amish Buggies and Window Shades

by ringleader

A common misunderstanding is that the Amish drive BLACK buggies behind their handsome horseflesh; however, it is the traditional MENNONITE who drive black buggies. The Amish have gray buggies. (By the way, be careful to avoid the "mud-pies" left by the horses in more places than alongside the road. There are tethering places at shopping areas for horses, and what they leave behind is not always confined to those areas!)

Look for pull-down windowshades in the color of forest green in the windows. It is my understanding that these signify Amish homes. I'm not sure whether the traditional Mennonites follow the green-shade rule as well.

This photograph was taken in Strasburg. We thoroughly enjoyed seeing an Amish horse-and-buggy going through a modern bank's drive-thru, stopping at the window to do their banking.

Episcopal church and cemetery

by Pawtuxet

Churchtown has its Episcopal contingent in addition to the Amish and Mennonites. The church is quite lovely and the little building to the rear almost looks like a second church. Old stones in the cemetery.

Dinner in an Amish home

by Pawtuxet

A highlight of the trip was when we had dinner in this Amish home. The family entertains about 25 - 27 people twice a week and the wife and her mother do all of the cooking. They feed you well....pure and fresh, but extremely fattening.Guess they work off all their calories because they are on the go 6 days a week from dawn to dusk. The farmer gave a tour of the property, barn, showed off his horses, and explained farming techniques after dinner. If you ever have a chance to do this, don't miss it.
Their children were the most beautiful I've seen in a long time. How I wish I could have photographed all of it, but of course....they do not want this.

Lititz Springs Park and Visitors Center

Lititz History

Lititz PA.com

Mount Hope Estate & Winery

by Knight_Kadosh

They have a great wine tasting room in the Victorian Mount Hope Mansion. Don't miss the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire's Professional Acting Company as they bring to life this beautiful 200 year old Victorian Mount Hope Mansion. Various programs and activities throughout the year.

Carriage Wine Shop Hours: