44 Woodland Rd., PO Box 700, Mount Pocono, Pennsylvania, 18344, United States

The Skytop LodgeThe Skytop Lodge

Poconos

by silly659

Hi everyone,

Im trying to plan a one day trip with my paretns and husband to the Poconos. I looked on all the website, but there are sooooooooooo many places to stay. It's also Race weekend, the weekend I"m going, so it's going to be packed.
Some suggested staying by the Buck Hill Falls, but I was wondering if any of you had any other suggestions. I have very inactive parents who've never really been on a nature trip, so I thought this was be nice.

I was hoping to do:
Boat peddling
Easy hiking and seeing some waterfalls
and mabye horseback riding/minature golf

But I am open to other suggestions, the never get to travel, so I want to make sure they have a good time.

Thanks in advance

by dino335

The Inn at Buck Hill Falls has been unoccupied for the last 15 years. This was a great place in it's heyday, but I drove past a few years ago, it's overgrown with weeds and vines. The last time it was used was for a horror movie!.

The Shawnee In is in a nice spot and runs a lot of activities, but is quite old and past it's prime. Mount Airy Casino Resort was completely done over a few years ago and seems to get good reviews.

I don't know where you are starting from, but a possible alternative is the Mohonk Mountain House near New Paltz, NY would meet your requirements and you wouldn't have to deal with race weekend. It's about the same distance from New York City as the Poconos.

by silly659

Hey Dino, thanks =)
I just checked out Mohok Mountain House... but they are expensive, and they have a 2 day minimum stay, so I can't do that, but it loooooooks amazing and soo romantic. Thanks for the tip on the Inn at Buck Hills-- definitely won't be staying there. We're coming from NJ, so I guess all the areas of the Poconos are equidistant.

by polkaidot

I just love the mountains. The have some gambling there now. Caesars is there.
The Water Gap area sounds like what you might like,white water rafting, and things like that. They have VF outlets close by also. Google Delaware water Gap, and lots of things should come up. There are resort areas. Unless they are reconditioned hotels be careful. There are outlets in Reading which may be on our way, and then some in the Poconos. Enjoy..which I had more specifics to tell you.

Travel Tips for Mount Pocono

The Pocono Mountains Region of PA

by Ewingjr98

The Poconos is a beautiful hilly region of Pennsylvania full of old resorts, ski slopes, and state parks. This has long been a favorite vacation destination for those from New York and Philadelphia. In fact, 80 percent of the state's vacation resorts are in the Poconos. This region is also a prime hunting area, and it is home to Pocono Raceway, a triangular oval used for two NASCAR races each summer.

When I lived in Boston, I frequently drove through the Poconos as a scenic alternative to the high-traffic areas of I-81 around Wilkes Barre & Scranton. I also attended a wedding in the Poconos in 2008.

Comments