Porches on the Towpath

20 Fisher's Alley, New Hope, Pennsylvania, 18938, United States

More about Porches on the Towpath

What a wonderful place to stay!

I've just returned from a wonderful weekend spent in New Hope, Pennsylvania, at Porches on the Towpath. This lovely bed and breakfast is a real jewel and one that I hope to visit often. One of the many things that make it great is it's central location. It's right off the Main street, situated at the top Fisher's Alley. The canal, with it's quaint barges, and the towpath run just behind it.

If the location isn't enough to grab your attention, let me just say the staff is helpful and friendly and the breakfasts are superb. Even the resident greeter, Spencer the cat, lends a certain charm to the atmosphere - when he's not busy napping on one of the many beautiful porches.

There are six rooms in the main house - each and every one charming in it's own unique way and filled with antiques. Breakfast is served in the dining room and there is a living room/library as well.

The newly-remodeled carriage house includes four beautfully elegant rooms of it's own. Guests staying in one of these rooms may have breakfast in their rooms, or seated on one of the porches.

If you're looking for a bed and breakfast in the New Hope area, Porches on the Towpath is a sure bet!

A Delightful stay

by TripAdvisor Member _definesmylust_

I LOVED Porches. My boyfriend and I stayed in room 10 for 3 nights, which was elegantly and beautifully decorated, without feeling stuffy. All of Porches was decorated with class, but didn't leave me with an uncomfortable feeling, as though I might break something.
The hosts were wonderful. They were kind, and extremely helpful. Our room was clean.
Our breakfasts were really tasty, as well. We really appreciated that they went the extra mile and prepared something different for every morning of our stay.
I was worried that staying in room 10, a part of the guesthouse, would make me feel not a part of the central feel of the B&B, but I was wrong. The guesthouse was just as beautiful as the main house, and it offered a nice porch upstairs, in a beautiful setting.
One of the best parts about Porches, in comparison to the other places we were looking to stay, is that is really is the only place we saw right in the middle of town. Fisher's Aly is a tiny side street off of the central road through New Hope, following along the river, and just a block from the bridge to Lambertville. And even with being central to New Hope, Porches still has the privacy and natural beauty of being outside of town.
We left for Porches thinking that perhaps our 3 night stay was too long (since we only live an hour south of the New Hope area), but on our final day, I was disappointed that I was schedule for work the next day- or else I would have hoped to stay another night in any room.
Porches is highly recommended.

A place to return to

We stayed for four nights in rooms 11 and 12 and could not find any fault. John and his staff did everything possible to make our stay as pleasant as possible and his local knowledge and advice was a great help.

The area has so much to offer and we would have happily stayed longer.

It was like staying with a friend who has a big house in a nice place!

We are from England and travel extesively and we intend to return to Porches soon.

We also know what we will be giving our friends in New York for Christmas - a gift voucher for Porches

Best B&B - Porches on the Towpath

When I had booked this B&B for our first trip to New Hope, PA, I was quite nervous, not knowing what to expect or how the host would be. Boy was I lucky!! This place was very quaint, personable and comfortable.

The day that we arrived, we were greeted and shown all the amenities of the B&B before our room. The room was a well decorated and cozy room with its own private bath. The bed was very firm and comfortable and the house was quiet during the evening/night hours. The house itself is set up on a private alley road from the Main Street, which gave it a feeling of being out in the country with only a few steps to the downtown shops and restaurants.

The host was very personable and helpful with our stay. He guided us to the great attractions, restaurants, shops, walking paths, etc. He is well established in the town and knows it well!!

The breakfasts were phenomenal. We had biscuits, bacon, pancakes, french toast, fresh fruit, juice, coffee, etc. The B&B fed us very well first thing in the morning for a great start to the day.

The towpath in the back of the B&B is part of a very long stretch of bike and walking path that goes from Pennsylvania to New Jersey and back. We were able to use bikes from the B&B and enjoy about a 10+ mile bike ride - great excercise and scenery.

I would recommend this B&B wholeheartedly as it was one of the best parts of the trip!!

Relaxing home away from home

by TripAdvisor Member ElvisLoveChild

There was much to love about Porches. The owners, Billy & John, are delightful - warm, welcoming & gracious. The inn is perfectly situated, on a quiet alley off the main drag. Our room was well-sized and uniquely decorated, with a marvelous bed. We loved the spacious porches, where we could easily carve out some private space to relax. As a non-smoker, however, I found the ashtrays that were scattered around the porch to be unsightly and unappetizing.

Although we enjoyed our stay, and plan to return to this charming inn, we would agree with the comments of some earlier visitors who posted here. The breakfast, though ample in quantity, was pedestrian. Bland scrambled eggs, heavy biscuits, garden-variety French toast, canned fruit salad, OJ from a carton. This is not what I would call a "country breakfast". As one who loves to eat & to cook, I found the food most disappointing.

I also found the lack of toiletries/room amenities to be surprising. No shampoo, conditioner or hair dryer, and thin scratchy towels. Soft mood lighting is all well & good, but I want to be able to see myself in the bathroom mirror!

All in all, this was a relaxing & fun weekend. With a few "tweaks", this could be a perfect B&B.

Lovely Hide-away

My boyfriend and I needed to just escape from the every day drama of life...what a great place we found. Although it's set right in New Hope, you feel as though you are tucked away in this lovely place. We expected to do some meals out and some walking around New Hope and Lambertville. We spent most of our time on the porches overlooking the canal, talking to John, Billy and Chrissie. We decided to grab a bottle of wine for later in the evening and some beer for the following afternoon of porch sitting...but alas, no place to keep our beer cool - Chrissie hopped into action and offered us her cooler, filled it with ice and had it tastefully waiting for us....they offered great advice along with very pleasant conversation. We were a last minute guest and they all could not have been more accomadating. When we went to leave on Sunday, John and Chrissie offered us a chance to see the other rooms...you cannot go wrong here...they were all beautiful...and they personally took us through the rooms and explained why and what they had done to them. They also offered us the use of the parking lot and let us leave our luggage while we spent the remainder of the day shopping and walking through the towns. Porches on the Towpath was quite a lovely surprise. Thanks to all at Porches for such a nice weekend.

Julie McCoy Cruise director put to shame...

Should you EVER be going to New Hope Pa. definitely find "The Porches". It's a bit out of the way, even though oddly enough it's 1/2 block off the main street.
They are not on the town map and seem to be happy to keep it that way. The guys that own it have done wonders with a run down building, adding the "porches" and an unbelievable jungle of a garden. The rooms are surprisingly affordable.. especially considering the terrific breakfast that comes with the deal, on nice days apparently served on the said porches by the garden. All the rooms are comfortable [we chose the smallest and weren't disappointed] , well lighted with nice little amenities [a wine cooler bucket and wine glasses for example].. but all this aside I would stay there again if the rooms were army barracks [which they are far from, cozily stuffed with antiques and art] for the enthusiasm and suggestions of the proprietors. We were given things to do suggestions, eating suggestions, drinking suggestions, bartender suggestions!.. and provided with menus and "keep your eye out for" advice. Their enthusiasm for their town was infectious and made even a VERY rainy couple of days into an adventure.

We plan to return next year.

Our recent stay at Porches has us planning to return next September. Porches is an ideal location to experience the charm of New Hope, Pa.
The owners, John and Billy, and staff, Crissy and Gail, were delightful....definately Southern hospitality up north, which a real treat.
Gail greeted us at our car and showed us to our first floor Room #1. We had requested a first floor room. The room was loaded with antiques and the bed slept even better than our one a home.
We loved having breakfast served on the porch each morning and watching the train and their staff directly across the canal set up for a day of area train rides for tourists. We enjoyed the train sounds all during the day. Also watching for mules with their bells walking by on the towpath pulling a barge of sightseers another highlight. My husband loved playing old tunes on his saxaphone from the porch to those sightseers. Things were extremely quiet at night there.
One day we even had our lunch and dinner on the porch. Paper Plate cafe close by has excellent gourmet lunch foods and a pizza shop provided our dinner.
The owners and staff frequently chatted with us; and since knowing area so well, they recommended places to see or dine at. Besure to go across the Delaware river and check out the shops in Lambertville, NJ.
Spencer, the cat, lounging on the porch really made us feel at home.

The Best of the Best

Porches B ed and Breakfast is a regularly destination for myself and my friends. In the past I thought I had stayed in impressive accomodations. But once I stayed at Porches, all others paled in comparison.

The rooms at Porches are beautifully decorated in original antiques with very comfortable beds, chairs and other amenities. The staff has one goal in mind while you spend your time there. Their goal is to make you feel at home. In fact, the running joke it that even my mother doesn't accomodate me the way the staff at Porches do.

I highly recommend this place to everyone considering visiting Bucks county.

well decorated and cozy

My husband and I stayed in the apple green room for two nights for our tenth anniversary. I will always look back on our stay with pleasant thoughts. The owner let me look at several rooms that were open and all of them were decorated with class yet still had that nice cozy feeling that we all look for. I liked eating breakfast in the morning out on the porch. It was very relaxing. There was a minor problem of a vent fire one of the mornings. It did disrupt breakfast but, we were sent to the paper plate to eat for free and also later got a gift certificate for a free nights stay. It was handled well and the repairs were made almost instantly. The owners and staff have that southern type of hospitality and were always very helpfull. They stored our dinner in the fridge and heated it up the next day for us for lunch. I would send others to stay here and can't wait to go back and use that gift certificate. The only things about porches that I would change...Maybe they could have liquid soap at all the sinks instead of the little bar soaps that get thrown away. Supply a basket of toiletries like shampoos, conditioners and sprays that could periodically be replenished. Maybe even put a mini fridge in some of the rooms or have one in a common area so that people could store food and drinks. We loved biking on the towpath with the inns complimentary bikes. We also had a great time tubing and going to the flea market. Can't wait to come back and do some relaxing.

The train at New HopeThe train at New Hope