Best Western Center City Hotel

501 North 22nd Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19130, United States

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

Convenient

After arriving from my trans-Atlantic flight in Philadelphia, I had booked one night's stay at the Best Western Center City Hotel before travelling onward to Atlantic City.

Conveniently located one block off Philadelphia's Benjamin Franklin Parkway, this hotel gives great access to Philadelphia's museum district with many popular tourist attractions within easy walking distance.

Rooms are of average size with en suite facilities and provided with the usual toiletries. A multi-channel television is provided in the room.

The hotel itself is a little on the tired side, but given pricing and location, this makes a good option for those looking for a central location without paying the expensive prices of hotels within the area.

Unique Quality: Whilst dining options immediately within the hotel's vicinity are few, the hotel itself has a bar which serves the usual bar food options. You can choose to order your food and eat in the bar itself or opt to have it 'to go' and take it to your room.

The bar has a number of TV screens and is geared up for sports viewing.

Outside of bar hours, the ground floor has a selection of food and drink dispensing machines which provide for snacks/light dining options and hot and cold drinks.

• keida84's Profile Photo

One of the worst hotels in Philly

Deteriorating facilities coupled with an indifferent night staff made this visit a memorable one to say the least.

Plumbing problems in one room very late at night, we finally got the desk clerk to change our room (they wanted to send maintanence up in an hour or so), anyway the "new" room had a heater so loud and grating (it's 20 degrees outside). Then we had lamps that did not work (we traded lamps out of the "old" room). Finally got to sleep around 3 AM, when we arose around 7 am to shower, the shower ran hot to cold, scalding hot back to freezing cold and the shower curtain was covered in mold.

We wrote to AAA who at the time rated this hotel three stars. We got a letter back from BWCenter City which was less than apologetic. We are the customer, and paying $150.00 a night we at least deserved a good night's sleep.

2 years have passed and I noticed in the AAA guidebook BWCC has been downgraded to two stars. Good thinking AAA

Unique Quality: We chose this hotel for it's proximity to the Philadelphia Art Museum...that is it's one redeeming quality.

More about Best Western Center City Hotel

Center City by Districts: Parkway/Museum District

by ringleader

If you plan to stay in the city to sight-see, perhaps I can acquaint you with the layout of the city. There are a number of center city districts:

Next to the Schuylkill River (on the east side of the river) you have the Parkway/Museum District and the Rittenhouse Square District. Parkway/Museum District is the location of Franklin Institute Science Museum, Please Touch Childrens' Museum, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. Heading north from here on the Benjamin Ranklin Parkway will take you to the Philadephia Museum of Art, Boathouse Row, Fairmount Park, and (across the Schuylkill River) the Philadelphia Zoo. Hotels in this district include Wyndham, Four Seasons, Embassy Suites, Hotel Windsor, and (closer to the Museum of Art) Best Western Center City.

Nice Place, Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member BronxReviewer

The other reviewers are being too harsh. I've stayed here for several years on biz trips and don't mind going back. The lack of wireless internet in the rooms is a downer, but the motel is ok, overall.

The place is clearly pretty old and could stand to have renovations of the hallways (which tend to be dark and somewhat depressing), but the rooms themselves are decently furnished and generally clean, sunny, and bright. The rooms have improved considerably over the years, and the room I stayed in this year looked recently renovated and the job was competently done. The bathrooms are usually spotless and the housekeeping staff does a decent job.

I wouldn't recommend the on-site restaurant, where the food is fair at best, but the place is only 3 blocks away from a Whole Foods market with nice prepared food that you can sit down and eat and several restaurants as well, so there's really no reason to eat at the hotel. This is Center City Philly after all: finding a good meal isn't that difficult.

The location is excellent: truly walking distance from museums, transit, and downtown. It's also very close to Fairmount Park, so if you're into exercise, you can go for a nice early morning run without weaving through lots of traffic. Because it's on Ben Franklin Parkway and near the park, there's a lot of grass and trees nearby. It's a good balance of urban location with open space.

I think it's a good value overall. No, it's not as well appointed as the luxury hotels a few blocks away, but you pay for all of that. The Best Western is relatively inexpensive, clean, and safe.

Just plain bad

This hotel was awful. My group was there one night for a concert and it was one night too long. The hallways are dark, there was an overpowering smell throughout our floor, and our room was 'musty' to put it nicely. It made me want to stay away from Best Western altogether. Stay somewhere else! It ain't pretty.

GREAT Best Western!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read the reviews and can't believe we stayed at the same hotel. I had a very clean room that was mostly updated but definitely no where near shabby which was given in a review, good food, very friendly and helpful service, etc. It's the only hotel in the inner city that had it's own parking and it was free. I give it Four Stars for Great Service, Very Comfortable, Very Clean and VERY Convenient!!! On my next trip to Philly, I'm staying there on 22nd Street!!!!!!!!!!

Good place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member Floortje

Stayed in the Best Western for 6 nights, for business as well as leisure. The bus stops in front of the door and getting to the convention center takes approximately a 30 minute walk or a five minute taxi ride for 7 dollars.

Rooms are spacious and are nicely decorated. The reception and halls are however a bit outdated. People at the reception are nice. The people from housekeeping were a bit strange though. The hotel has a nice outdoor swimming pool and serves a good and cheap breakfast in their indoor restaurant. There is also an indoor pub/bar.

I wanted a relatively cheap stay not too far from the convention center. The good breakfast and the swimming pool were a welcome extra. I would stay there again.

Great location, marginal hotel

by TripAdvisor Member traveler557

Very disappointed in this hotel. It was supposedly a AAA 2 diamond which are usually nice and adequate...not this one. Terribly in need of a renovation! The atmosphere especially lobby and 1st floor was a bit disconcerting and the public areas need a good cleaning and air freshener. Room was just adequate. Bathroom was just barely clean and we couldn't keep the air conditioner running because of the awful noise the unit made. The location for this property is perfect - right next door to the Rodin Museum and walking distance to the Philadelphia Art Museum. Someone should come in a redo this hotel and make is a nice little boutique hotel and take advantage of the spot!

Just returned

by TripAdvisor Member davenj

I just returned from a two night stay at this Best Western. Let me preface this by saying I like nice hotels but can be a happy in a nice, clean hotel with good service when I am traveling alone for business. So anywhere from 3-5 star hotels typically. I chose this hotel because it was the only one I could find for the dates needed in center city. All the reviews that state how this hotel is dark, not very clean and badly in need of renovation are 100% accurate. The sheets were frayed, chairs were broken and in need of repair, stains on bathroom floor and sink air conditioning that did not work until I called the front desk and when it did sounded like there was a generator in the room. I paid 148 a night and trust me it was not worth it. There are many, many very nice hotels between the museum and the historic district so I was sufferring from hotel envy. The difference between them and the BW is night and day. The only reason I stayed the 2nd night was that I was at a conference concerning the homeless and felt bad complaining about my hotel:) I will say on the plus side the location is good for the museum and the riverside park and there is free parking if you are driving.

So Bad I had to Leave!

by TripAdvisor Member pbcello

To say I was disappointed was an understatement. The location of this hotel is fabulous. Walking into the hotel, I was instantly struck at the dirtiness in the lobby, the smell of old beer and cigarettes (no doubt from the bar adjoining the lobby). Things got worse. After negotiating very dark hallways (had me thinking of a 1970's bordello) we got to our room. Inside, we noted the toilet was running and would not shut off. I was offered not a room change but maintenance. He couldn't fix it, there was now a flood in the bathroom, and still the agent resisted giving me a room (unless I'd take a smoker) until I intimated I would leave. He then put us in a room. Although it was "non-smoking" it had been smoked in, which is a problem with my wife and son who are asthmatic. We were tired and ready to stay. When my wife went to take a shower, there was mold--big hairy mold--around the soap dish in the tub. We were out of there. The front desk was very slow to respond to our concerns, offered no apology, and said they would not refund us since "we had already used the room." It took determination, and my wife's rising ire, to get a refund. We stayed at the Comfort Inn, Penns Landing, instead and it was fine.

Stay Elsewhere

If it isn't a dump, it's pretty close. Once-white shower curtain black with mold. Indifferent plumbing, which barely works and which looks like it will fall off any moment. Previous water damage to wall and ceiling, not even covered over. No chance for fresh sheets or fresh towels, even though we asked and were told "Okay" -- truth is, even if you ask, the sheets and towels are not changed during your entire stay. On the plus side, it is a great location. All of the Philly hotels that have fitness centers and are located near the musuems were booked up those few days, or we would have found another hotel.

Alternative hotel to the Wyndham Hotel @ 17th & Race Streets

by CALSF

Hi, we may have to attend a group event that's being held at the Wyndham Hotel at 17th and Race Streets in Philadelphia this summer. We always stay at whatever hotel the event is held and have been fortunate so far with the hotel choices.

Unfortunately I read pretty awful reviews about this particular hotel and don't want to stay in an awful place for around 5 nights. Can anyone suggest a better alternative hotel that's closeby (within walking distance preferably) to the Wyndham?

Thanks in advance.

by CALSF

Thanks Yubert, I will check it out.

by keida84

I can tell you which one NOT to stay at: Best Western Center City (horrible hotel) dirty facilties, rude staff and over-priced

by CALSF

Keida, thanks for that BW tip. I don't care for the BW's in the States. However, in Europe they're indpendently owned and are lots nicer.

RE: Alternative hotel to the Wyndham Hotel @ 17th & Race Streets

by zuriga

The Latham is a small and really nice hotel at about 17th and Walnut - not too far a walk to Race St. It's right near Rittenhouse Square and lots of good shops and restaurants. I'm not sure what they charge but I enjoyed my stay there. I think www.quikbook.com has some good ideas for Phila and that may be where I booked it, although that's my hometown. :-)

June

by CALSF

Thanks zuriga! Sounds like a great hotel-will check it out! :)

by kmcq

I stayed at the Latham recently. It's small, and the staff was friendly (as friendly as people get in Philly :) ). It's older, I think, so there may be some dings and dents. It was very clean, though.

RE: Alternative hotel to the Wyndham Hotel @ 17th & Race Streets

by Aglator

There's also a Marriott Courtyard at Market just below Broad St. It's a short walk but a nice hotel in an area with lots of restaurants and shopping.

by CALSF

Thanks for the reply regarding the Marriott.

Comments