Burbridge Street B&B

6324 Burbridge St., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19144, United States

Burbridge Street B&B
Expedia.com Travelocity Tingo.com

• A trip to Europe in Philadelphia

We were pleasantly surprised by our experience at the Burbridge Street Bed & Breakfast. Though some say it is hard to locate, my daughter and I had no problem finding the charming, old home on foot. It's only a ten minute walk from the Tulpehocken Station. When we arrived we were warmly greeted by Marney, the innkeeper. After getting us settled into our spacious, but cozy room, it was dinner time, so she directed us to several local restaurants in the area that were within our budget. In the morning, we awoke to a fresh, delicious and beautifully displayed breakfast including several types of tea, coffee, cereals, fruits, fresh baked local breads, local honey and even your choice of soy, almond or regular milk! We had an appointment to visit a nearby college, but we weren't sure of the best way to get there. Marney took time out of her busy schedule to map us out a route using the local transit system. Our room was wonderfully comfortable and also had an array of teas and coffee at our disposal. The bathroom is conveniently located next to our room and was clean and well lit. Our favorite part of the experience was the friendly, cuddly kitties! Both of them were at ease with us made us feel at home. Marney is so incredibly hospitable and such a giving, caring person, that I felt as though I met a long lost friend. She opened her home and kitchen to us. Staying at the Burbridge Street B & B was like staying in a European pension, with a built in historian tour guide! She knows so much about Philly and not only saved us a bunch of money, but she made our stay in Philadelphia a pleasurable one we will not forget. When I return to Philly, it's Burbridge for me! I highly recommend it unless you are super fussy and don't like cats.. If that's the case, then it's the Holiday Inn for you...

Unique Quality: Fabulous breakfast! Helpful Innkeeper.. Get the local low down on the best things to do in the area. The amazing innkeeper of the Burbridge Stree B & B will give you insight to Philly!

Directions: get off at the Tulpehocken train station in NW Philadelphia. Near Chestnut Hill/ Germantown

More about Philadelphia

Walkway on Ben Franklin BridgeWalkway on Ben Franklin Bridge

Chorizo!Chorizo!

Enjoying a glass of my new favorite!Enjoying a glass of my new favorite!

three discs one lackingthree discs one lacking

information

by melanyfp

If I take a train from Metro Park in Iselin, N.J. to the 30th Street Station,in Philadelphia, can I get a subway to So. Broad Street? I need the closest location to Pine St and 15 th.

Re: information

by timessquare

Amtrak is the only train that goes direct from Metropark to Philadelphia.

If you take NJ Transit train, you'd need to get off in Trenton and get on SEPTA.

www.septa.org is the subway, bus, and rail for Philadelphia

From 30th Street Station to 15th and Pine

by PR-7

Check out these URL's:

www.septa.org/maps/system/index.html
www.septa.org/maps/transit/mfl.html

and this PDF:

www.septa.org/maps/region/pdf/ccp.pdf

There are two ways to get from the 30th Street Amtrak Terminal to your final destination. One is free but requires more walking -- you'll have to decide for yourself which is better.

According to
www.septa.org/fares/ticket/index.html
"An Amtrak ticket is accepted as a fare on Regional Rail trains between 30th Street Station and Market East Station."
Thus, you can ride for free from 30th and Market to Filbert and 16th (see the PDF). From there, 15th and Pine is about six blocks away.

Or you can ride the subway. Bizarrely, you have to exit the Amtrak Terminal to get to the subway, but just ask directions and follow the signs.

After buying two subway tokens for $3.10 (cash ONLY) at a vending machine, get on the Blue Line heading east towards Frankford. Transfer at the 15th Street Station to the Broadway Line (aka "Orange Line"), and head south towards Pattison. Again, just follow the signs or ask directions -- and note that you do NOT exit the subway between the Blue Line and the Orange Line. Once on the Orange Line heading south, get off at the Lombard-South Street Station (it's SLIGHTLY closer to Pine Street).

Although the subway stations, as well as the area near Pine and 15th, often have some weird people roaming around them, they are pretty much safe at all hours, if you exercise normal big city caution. Definitely less nerve-wracking than driving around Philly expressways.

Re: information

by PhillyBorn&Bread

Take the Amtrak in to philly. get the one that will stop at "Suburban Station" ( 15th and JFK Blvd. or will connect to it thru 30th st station. Come outside Suburban station and walk south on 15th street six blocks to Pine st. Or you can come outside the 30th street staion and catch the 9 bus which will take you to 15th and Chestnut. Get off and walk south 4 blocks to Pine. I will assume that when you asked about the "subway" to south Broad st you meant to get you to Pine st? No need to even mess with the Broad street subway. You would only be going two stops and the second stop is one block past where you are going. Not worth it. Check SEPTA's web site Septa.com for route schedules. There are LOADS of buses to take you where you want to go. have fun. Welcome to Philly. ( See my homepage for cheesesteak info.)

Travel Tips for Philadelphia

The Olden Surrounds You

by mrclay2000

As with all cities that have stood for centuries, Philadelphia offers artefacts and historical novelties for anyone with eyes to explore. Like the sentry booths that are often ignored in Washington DC, Philly everywhere is dotted with signs of the past. Cobblestone lanes, red-brick facades, markings and placards in the walls where the famous once lived, all these and more excite the curiosity of the visitor. Places where coaches only roamed still exist. Stone streets with a concave center that allows runoff (such as Elfreth's Alley) are symptoms of past living conditions and city sanitation. If Pompeii still boasts is chariot ruts in the city streets, Philly can boast of its carriage roads.

When visiting Philly, you...

by pauksa

When visiting Philly, you absolutely must see Liberty Bell. It is most important site for tourists. Liberty Bell will tell you about Our country history and how our freedom started. If I have to leave Philly,thing I miss most will be Philly cheese stakes.

MUST SEE SUNFLOWER

by PickMeUp

Do you know a picture of Sunflower?
If you wanna see it, you got go there!!
It's one of the most famous picture of Gogh.
I went there to see it, but Philadelphia Museum of Arts is not only that.
There is also some pictures of Monet.

Touring around the old...

by danbachmann

Touring around the old mansions in Fairmont Park My first two stops were the Strawberry
Mansion and Woodford. Unfortunately,
despite guidebook and well posted signs,
these two homes would not be open for
tours at 10am...
Finally someone emerged from
Strawberry Mansion (I think the
caretakers live in the basements) and
said, maybe at 12. It was time to move
on, but waiting around awhile gave me a
chance to realize my surroundings. Here
I was, on one side of the street with
historical mansions in a park and directly
across the street were boarded up
buildings. The streets were alive though
and most or all of these structures were
occupied.

For a moment, I feared my
safety and certainly there
was some writing on the
wall to confirm some of
that. There was definitely a
clash: the monuments of fair
skinned historical figures
and people of the present appear to mock each other just by proximity.

At least this time to stroll around led me to find the secret garden at Strawberry
Mansion.
My next stop was Mount Pleasant. I knocked on the
door and someone answered! The guide was already
half way through giving a tour to two women, so I
caught the last half of the house with them and then
continued with the guide for the last half. I'm really
quite ignorant
Did you know
that piracy was
legal? This
Georgian
mansion was built by the privateering wealth of
Captain John Macphereson. 50% of a captured
ship's wealth would go back to the ruler. In this case,
the Queen of England made it legal to raid French
and Spanish ships. Of the remaining 50% of the
cargo, 40% was to be distributed among the pirate
crew and 10% to the captain. It is believed that the
captain always ended up with more than his share.

Aside from learning about who lived and visited this
house, the expert guide knew all the details of the
furniture and architecture in the home. All furniture
was moved to the outside edges of the rooms each
night so you wouldn't bump into it at night. No one
was trusted completely and locks were everywhere:
on dressers, desks with hidden compartments,
bookcases and even the tea box.

Free Library

by yooperprof

The main branch of Philadephia's public library is housed in this handsome neo-classical pile at the corner of Benjamin Franklin Parkway and Vine Street. The chief architects of this 1917 project were Horace Trumbauer and Julian Abele - the latter the first African American graduate of the University of Pennsylvania School of Architecture. (They were also responsible for the Philadelphia Museum of Art up the hill.)

Comments