Club Quarters Philadelphia

1628 Chestnut St, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19103, United States

Club Quarters
Booking.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

• Hide your wallet! Don't stay here!

I was incredibly disappointed in this hotel. The rooms were tiny. The TV wasn't mounted where you could see it from the bed. The bathrooms were like porta-potty stalls with no water pressure and super low shower heads. And don't even think about checking out one minute past noon. They charged us $40 for late checkout for leaving five minutes past noon. And they didn't even tell us! It just showed up on my credit card bill. Please please please stay anywhere but here in Philadelphia. These people are looking to make a buck any way possible. There are much better hotels at a similar price point (Marriott, Sheraton Society Hill, Crowne Plaza).

• clean but that's about it....

Just got back from my stay at club quarters in Philly - it's clean but the rooms are a shoe box size. My husband and I could not walk past each other in the room and definitely could not be in the bathroom at the same time. That made getting ready a two hour event. The room is set up in a rectangle so you cant see the tv from the bed and there is only one chair so the two of us could not even sit in front of the tv together to see the news.

Parking is expensive - the website says they have a deal with the parking garage but they do not. I spoke to the desk clerk directly and he quoted me the prices of the garage - so that was an extra $62 for an over night stay. NOT TO MENTION - there is no place to stop in front of Club Quarters and unload - it is on street parking for the city and unless you are arriving after10 pm you are not going to have a spot to stop so you will be lugging your items to and from the parking garage - one block down and over.

Construction going on in the hotel, one elevator working for the entire place and unfriendly desk clerk the day we checked out makes me say to everyone go someplace else.

For the amount of money you are paying, there are many locations in that same area that looked much better to me. I would have moved if I had to stay longer then one night.

BEWARE

Unique Quality: Good location is about it.

• Tom_Fields's Profile Photo

An Affordable Place to Stay

Club Quarters is one of the very few affordable hotels in downtown Philadelphia. This hotel offers first-class accomodations at a cut-rate price. Service is excellent. And it has a nice restaurant, an Italian steak house.

Unique Quality: Location is ideal. It's only a few blocks from City Hall, and close to the museums. It's within walking distance of the Amtrak station, as well as Penn's Landing. If I ever stay the night in this city again, this hotel is definitely my first choice.

Directions: At 17th and Chestnut Streets, near Rittenhouse Square.

• JoelWillTravel's Profile Photo

Great location on Chestnut St

My stay here was a pleasureable one, the staff very friendly and helpful. The room very nice and clean, and included fridge AND microwave for those midnight snacks! It was very close to all the major attractions and ideal for shopping also. I didn't try the hotel restaurant but it certainly looked like a nice place to eat!

Unique Quality: Free high speed internet access, microwave and fridge in room. Very close to main shopping area. Friendly and Helpful staff.

Directions: Chestnut St

• I always stay at this hotel. Best location, price

Business class hotel located at Rittenhouse square area. Best location in the city!!! Believe me, I KNOW.

Unique Quality: Nice very clean and neatly decorated rooms, kind of small, but the location and price are a killer find.

Directions: Rittenhouse Square

More about Club Quarters Philadelphia

not a bad place...

by TripAdvisor Member mccarthys5

We stayed at the Club Quarters for one night on Saturday, August 7, 2004. My husband and I were looking to do an inexpensive one-night getaway from our three young children, so I pricelined dowtown Philly hotels and this is what I got for $75. All things considered, this place was fine for that amount of money.

The hotel is very centrally located in CC Philly at 16th and Chestnut. There is a parking garage around the corner from the hotel and the hotel will validate your parking ticket for a discount. the discount will bring your parking expenses for one night down to $19.

The hotel is clean and well-appointed. It doesn't have any kind of bellhop service, so you are on your own with your bags, etc...which was fine for us because we just had one overnight bag.

Service at the front desk was quick and smooth. The Club Quarters is an entirely automated hotel, so it was just a matter of sticking our credit card in the machine and bam! We were checked in.

I also like the security system that is in place. You have to use your room key to operate the elevator, so if you aren't staying in the hotel and don't have a room key, you can't get upstairs. I thought this was a nice feature.

The room was small. Clean with smart lines and modern, but small. There was one double bed that was rather firm. There was a long desk with a TV, a microwave and a small fridge. The closet was really small and the bathroom was tiny. There is no tub; only a shower stall. Water pressure was OK. There was a hookup for your computer at the desk as well as a bookshelf that housed a dictionary, an atlas and a thesaraus. There was one chair in the room as well.

The hotel itself is short on some of the amenities I tend to like at a hotel, such as a swimming pool, hot tub, sauna, etc...but for $75/night in a major city in the center of everything, I really couldn't complain for the price. Go check out the Four Seasons for $250/night if you want those kinds of amenties.

The restaurant on the hotel premises is Davio's, which is an upscale Italian restaurant. If you go there while you are staying at the hotel, they can charge the meal to your room for a 15% discount. We didn't eat there, but I have heard it is a great place. FYI, we ate at Bistro Romano on 2nd and Lombard, which has GREAT tableside Caesar Salad and good Italian food, but is less expensive than Davio's. We had drinks prior to dinner at the Continential Midtown on their rooftop deck at 18th and Chestnut - that is probably the best outdoor place in the city for drinks and it is one block away from the hotel.

Apparently there is a fitness center, which I did not see - I also saw a sign advertising that they will bring exercise equipment to your room.

My husband probably summed it up best - "this is a hotel that doesn't feel like a hotel." I would venture to say it's probably ideal for a business traveler or even a couple, but I wouldn't bring the family here - you'd be more comfortable in a Four Seasons, a Ritz or a Hyatt.

All that being said, it was a good deal for the price we paid. I'd stay there again at a comparable cost.

Nothing Wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member SGM68

The comments from most of the reviewers are accurate. The only exception was that the automated check-in/check-out machines weren't working the weekend my fiance and I stayed there, so there were lines for both. Also, for some reason, after checking in on Friday, the night manager checked us out during his overnight shift. That caused our room keys not to work and housekeeping from cleaning the room. When I called to have someone clean the room (after a day of walking around the City) I was told "housekeeping is gone for the day," and "we can bring up some sheets and towels." After some pressing they magically found someone to clean and change the linens.

Overall, an ok value.

Club Quarters - Enjoyed

Stayed at Club Quarters over Labor Day weekend, 9/4 & 9/5. Very pleased with the hotel. The rooms have a different feel to them than regular hotel rooms. They have a small fridge, microwave, and desk with reference books. The bed was comfortable, the room had a nice loveseat and the TV worked well. The only negative was the shower's low water pressure. It was adequate to take a shower but not the norm. I really liked the ease of checking out. I inserted my credit card in an automated machine which then printed out my hotel bill. The machine even had a place to drop off your room key.

Nice Stay

by TripAdvisor Member amiller920

Colleague and I stayed here on 8 Sept 04 for an overnight business trip to Philadelphia. Had rooms 526 and 1022, specifically asking for rooms not on alley based on prior reviews here. Both rooms were very nice and clean and nearly identical in layout. Bathroom small as in prior reports but inconsequential to me. Reminded me of hotels in Denmark, in terms of the design aesthetic. Bed was comfortable and not too soft. Adjusted AC in room as initially too warm but AC worked fine. AC had digital controls and it was not one of those old awful rattling AC units that I've had in big chain hotels. Had breakfast in Davio's at the hotel. For $100 including taxes, cannot be a better value in Center City Philly. I would stay here again without hesitation.

Decent, under $100, in the right part of Philly

by TripAdvisor Member MarkH_CA

My rating of 4 represents the tremendous value CQ is for a good hotel in a great part of Philly. Normally, you can't consistently find a deal like this in a major neighborhood in a big city. Without the location it floats around 3 stars. Many historic sites and an incredible variety of nightlife are walking distance or an under-$10 cab ride away. A surprisingly convenient place to visit, especially with the CQ location as a base.

Avoiding the Bad:
But then there's the matter of the rooms. It's old school all the way; the trick is to make sure you get an updated bathroom and quiet location. Whatever your strategy for getting your room changed, be sure to check it out right when you get there, especially if you're a light sleeper or picky about the bathroom. The hotel is not packed on most weekends, so do ask to be moved if you're concerned.

You won't confuse it for a cute boutique hotel or, on the other hand, a Hilton, but it isn't a dump either.

Comments