Crowne Plaza Philadelphia Center City

Booking.com Priceline.com Expedia.com

Costs 30% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• SmileyLeSa's Profile Photo

Center City Hotel

I've stayed at this hotel 3 times. Each time service and rooms have been good. I belong to Priority Club, so there is the extra perk of the 18th floor, where they offer free evening happy hour to members. There is an Elephant and Castle Restaurant located on the premises.

More about Crowne Plaza Philadelphia Center City

pleasantly surprised

by TripAdvisor Member Tenley

Stayed at hotel for a meeting. Read your reviews and was quite apprehensive. Was pleasantly surprised. Rooms were small but not tiny. More comfortable and with more amenities [CD clock radio, magnifying mirror, heat lamp, drape clip, great pillows] than i expected. While hotel could not do an early check in there was no problem leaving bags at bell desk and room was ready when "regular" check in time arrived. The staff was pleasant and helpful, seemed appreciative of, not expecting tips. The Elephant and Castle seemed a little overwhelmed at breakfast but the food was fine and served promptly.
Terrific location. Lobby small but has wifi.

Nice rooms, great location

by TripAdvisor Member NYYankeeFan

I recently stayed for a weekend at the Crowne Plaza. It was a great location and we were able to walk to most of the places we went to - Independence Hall, the Mutter Museum, Alma de Cuba, etc. Our room was quite large, so I'm surpised by all the reviewers who have said they had small rooms. We had a king-sized bed, so maybe that makes a difference. The bed was the most comfortable I've ever slept on! The food from room service was surprisingly good. We had a few issues, such as a large group of loud and annoying teenagers on our floor, but the staff handled our problems politely and quickly (they moved us to another room on the top floor - so much quieter!). All in all, it was a great place to stay.

Wonderful bed and bedding

I was more than pleasantly surprised. The bed was so soft and comfortable being a pillow-top mattress but it's the down comforter, soft linens and yes, 7 down pillows that makes this a great stay. One of the best night sleeps I've had at a hotel. I especially liked the little statin bag with lavender linen spray, ear plugs, a relaxation CD and eye mask.

The cleaning lady was very nice and I learned that they change the duvet with every new guest then every 3 days during your stay. I like knowing that as usually hotel comforters creep me out in terms of germ potential.

Elevators timely (4 of them)
Restaurant timely and pretty good
Good location
Coffee shop downstairs

Excellent base for exploring Philly

OK, so the main reason I stayed there at all was the fact that I flew in for a conference that took place in the hotel, and I had a booking code for that particular conference with a good deal. However, when I called to make the reservation, that particular allotment was sold out (busy conference) and I felt that some really basic questions from me about my options for getting a similar quality room elsewhere in the hotel, was answered very uncertainly and somewhat confusingly. However, I just went ahead and gave the receptionist my credit card number, and hoped for the best.

I THEN (yes, duh, I know) went to tripadvisor.com and read the reviews here. Since we were two colleagues sharing a double room, I became a bit concerned about comments on the size of the rooms, but pictures I found through tripadvisor links, calmed me down.

So, we arrived and found out that the location really is spot on. Right on Market Street, lots of smaller establishments for shopping and dining just to the south, and walking distance to all the major historical sites east along Market Street towards the Delaware.

Both front-end receptionsists and the bell-boys were really helpful and motivated. They especially pitched their sleeping program, and yes, the beds are comfy, but no, you will not see me spray myself with lavender...

High speed internet, video on demand and Nintendo games in the room - hey, not bad ideas at all. Moderate fees as well.

The Elephant & Castle's bar and breakfast menu were both OK, as was the Cafe Express, but on the other hand, there's a Starbucks right across Market Street, if thats your cup of Chai.

All in all a quality hotel that deserves a solid 3 rating - but the location really makes the difference. Folks, it's a 4.

Basic affordable luxury

by TripAdvisor Member Saffy2

We've stayed at this hotel twice and we consider it affordable luxury. The bed is really comfortable and they provide more than enough pillows plus plenty of mirrors. In 2004 they offered sleep kits with lavender spray but I'm not sure if they're doing that in 2005. I love the CD clock radio too.

The quality of the desk staff can vary but usually they're ok. The restaurant is also really affordable and the quality of the lunch and evening meals is very high. I found the breakfast menu exceptionally over priced and really disappointing.

My only complaint would be the "business" center which only has 2 computers that are consistently in use. I ended up using them at midnight because that's the only time they would be free. If I used them any earlier I found that either conference or business people would linger or even stand right behind me to make me hurry up. The door is behind you so people can look in and read the screen so it isn't all that private either.

The location of Crowne is really good as well, it is an easy walk to the Franklin Institute and Amtrack Station.

Loved the crown!

I think overall, the crown plaza is perhaps one of the best hotels in town they have the most courteous and helpful staff. clean rooms and they provide a lot of good amenities and it has a great location.
the pool needed a bit more maintenance perhaps, but overall you get all types of different guests and it gives you an idea of how they are overseas. it's the same hotel rules and superb hospitality!!

Good Times in Philly

by TripAdvisor Member AuntieEm

My husband & I booked a "honeymoon" trip to Philadelphia & got a good Priceline deal that included this hotel. While it is a little bit West of some of the main downtown attractions, it served well as a restful place for us to lay our heads after some very busy days.

Located at 18th & Market, much of the downtown historical action is east by about 12 blocks. We would head out around 10 or 11 am to our attractions for the day, and spend much of the day out & about before returning to the hotel. Our room was very spacious, included a king sized bed, a large tv, desk with internet hookup, bedside tables, a chair with ottoman, as well as a bathroom (with a sink area outside of the stool/shower area). The bathroom was quite small, but clean & always stocked with soaps & fresh towels. The bed was very comfortable (especially after long walks), and the room was quiet. We stayed on the 14th floor - not smokey or noisy at all. Floors 1-7 have no rooms on them (as they are conference rooms or parking), and then it goes to 8, 9, 14-20 something. The elevators always seemed to smell a little funky, but were relatively speedy on weekdays (the weekends you had to wait awhile). They had 4 elevators & all worked while we were there. Everything in our room was in working order, and when we requested some extra shampoo one night, it was promptly delivered to our door.

The pool area was enjoyable - on the 8th floor outdoors next to the work out facility (indoors). Lawn chairs are availble to lay out, as well as striped pool towels & a lunch & dinner pool-side menu. Room service is available as well (we didn't use it), however a small "quick cafe" area is downstairs where coffee, pastries, and sandwiches are available, as well as the Elephant & Castle Restaurant. We ate at the E & C twice, and I was not very impressed with the food. The first time we had the Bangers, Mash & Beans & the Chicken Pot Pie (these were tasty, however, pricey), and the next time we had Burgers (very dry & they tasted like they were frozen meat patties - ICK). On Tuesday night they have a trivia game (we won 1st runner up - a $20 gift certificate to their restaurant), and Saturday a Karaoke contest. Breakfast, lunch & dinner are served there. We also got some dessert from the E & C one night - the brownie a la mode was ok (the brownie was not as moist as it could have been...) but the bread pudding was terrible. We wanted to get a cobbler, but only 3 of their 6 dessert selections were availble to take up to our room. The service in the restaurant was not very stellar either (they were understaffed & they didn't really like to pay close attention to their patrons).

Crowne Staff was very pleasant & gave some great reccommendations. The check in/check out process was very simple & speedy (no problems at all). On Friday evening of our stay there was a fire alarm - the fire truck responded, but no evacuation was needed, however, the next day, the emergency strobe lights were still flashing when we left our hotel for the day.

The Crowne is close to Rittenhouse Square, the Mutter Museum, City Hall, Love Park, and some delightful restaurants. We enjoyed our stay there, and would recommend a stay there.

Comments