Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown

Hotels.com HIExpress.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

Convenient Location

Large room on the 18th floor that was comfortable, quiet and well appointed. Staff was friendly we liked the fact that we could walk to the theater, museums & historic districts. We wanted in and out parking privileges which enabled us to take our car out for dinners and excursions outside of Philly.

We passed some beggars near Jefferson Hospital while walking from the hotel to the historic district. Behind the hotel there was a mentally ill man sleeping on a warm grate.

Child friendly buffet breakfast was very sweet; donuts, cinnamon buns, muffins ...

Unique Quality: Large room, good location.

Directions: Around the corner from City Hall & theaters.

More about Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown

Great place to stay

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Midtown July 20 & 21. The Hotel was very nice. We were worried about the location and parking, but found neither of these to be a problem. The parking garage may block your car in but I did not find that to be a problem, the attendants were very nice and accomodating, most of the sights are within walking distance along with some good resturants and shops anyway. From this location it's about a 5-10 min walk to Independance Hall and the Liberty Bell. Chinatown is also close by. When going farther, taxis were easy to catch. Rooms were very nice and clean with wireless internet. The staff was very helpful, recommending resturants, making and varifying reservations. Breakfast was very good, cereal, bagels, warm cinnamon rolls, eggs, etc. Would definitely stay here again.

Good value for money

by TripAdvisor Member JanBury_England

We stayed here for 3 nights and even though the hotel was undergoing some renovations it didn't disturb the guests at all. In a great location - easy to walk to all the main attractions from here and we felt safe to do so no matter what time of the day or night. The staff were helpful and we had great views from our high-up room and a nice complimentary breakfast was provided each day. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Good value, good location

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night in August '05. The front desk staff was friendly, we didn't have any problem checking in. Room was very clean. Breakfast was good, nothing fancy but good enough for us! A staff member walked around to each table asking if we had any problems or concerns, and wrote them down on a notepad (since we didn't have any, I don't know how well they resolve problems). While there were renovations going on, we didn't really notice.
The only complaint would be the parking lot - it is very crowded and a little scary to drive in. Fortunately, the parking lot attendents were very friendly and helpful, they helped find a spot for me and parked my car, and moved the car blocking me in quickly when I had to leave the next day. Paying for parking wasn't that bad considering the hotel was a good price.
All-in-all, this hotel was definitely a great value compared with others in the area and in the price range. It was a great location, we walked to the sites (Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, etc) in about 15 minutes. We didn't find the neighborhood to be scary during the day or evening. We plan to stay here on our next trip to Philadelphia.

Very Pleased

by TripAdvisor Member travelviews4u

This hotel is a great value and in a great location. Check-in was quick, staff was friendly (including the housekeepers), breakfast was okay to good, free wireless, and a good selection of television stations. The staff offered everyone free passes to a national (full-service) gym that was 2 blocks away. A subway stop is a block away and a small convenience grocery store is across the street. This is a good value for the business traveler or governent worker. I was also impressed how the staff were helping several people find alternative hotel rooms because they showed up to the hotel without a reservation. I'll be back.

Exceeds Expectations

by TripAdvisor Member dreamdb11

Much better than we expected. It was chosen for price, but I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. First of all, the location is great...around restaurants, shops, and in walking distance to basically everything you'd want to see. The rooms were very spacious, and the toiletries smell great. The parking was convenient and let you take your car in and out for just a daily fee for hotel customers. The breakfast was decent too, bagels, fruit, cereals and juices. The only downside would be the staff...overall reception was helpful, but they couldn't tell me how to get to the Barnes Foundation which I thought shouldn't have been as difficult as it was for them. Overall, I would recommend and stay there again.

Not What I Expected

by TripAdvisor Member pams3150

Two words personify this hotel--A Dump! The front desk was short and intimidating from the moment I arrived. They are impossible about eartly check-in. As there was a large convention in town, I requested early room assignment which was quickly rejected. Now I have lost rooms in past years due to convention trade, so I knew I had to be back at the hotel at 3pm in order to insure my room assignment. I arrived back in time to receive a non-smoking room on the 15th floor. By 6:30 when I left for dinner, there were several irrate customers in the very small lobby being told that the hotel was overbooked and even though they had confirmed reservations they were being turned away and the hotel was doing nothing to help them out. This is uncalled for any hotel to do this to customers who have placed a deposit with the hotel. I have empathy for these poor travelers since this has happened to me in Washington DC and Las Vegas. The rooms were nicely sized but the airconditioning was terrible. The noisy window units are old and out of date and are incapable to cooling the room to a comfortable level. The hallways have no air excahnage and are filthy, smelly, and hot. My room was clean and the housekeeping staff was obviously hard working when it came to the room. The coffeemaker was broken and there was standing water in the sink. I complained to the front desk on three seperate occasions and nothing was ever done. Hence, I could not use the sink most of the time. It took several hours for the water to drain. Even though the chain prides itself on a money back guarantee if not pleased, I would not even try to commiunicate my displeasure with them. If they can't fix a sink and replace a coffeemaker, I can't imagine what I would go through trying to get my money back. The breakfast bar is high on carbs but the lady running it was truly nice and helpful. She could give some lessons to the front desk personel. The surrounding neighborhood is quite seedy so be parepared. A few blocks west is a lovely dining and shopping area and I would suggest a hotel in that neighborhood. I know I had high expectations. I expected more from a city that is working on becoming more tourist and convention orientated.

Great location...

by TripAdvisor Member SunburnLover

We stayed at this location from Oct 2-4 this year. It is within easy walking distance to everything in Center City and Historic Philly. About 10-15 minutes walk to Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, US Mint, etc. As others have said, the parking garage is a bit crazy, but we didn't drive anywhere, we walked, so it was not a problem for us, just had to make sure I moved the car to an accessible spot the night before we left.

Surprisingly quiet, free newspapers, and a decent Continental Breakfast (with cheese omelets). We would definitely stay here again the next time we are in Philly.

Excellent hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Pekinal

We stayed here for 4 nights last weekend and enjoyed it very much. My wife "Mrs. Clean" said that everything was clean. The continental breakfast has everything, including omlettes. It is 3 blocks from city hall and the convention center and 7 blocks from Independence Hall. The blocks are short and we walked it easily and we are in our 70s. There are many restaurants nearby within a few blocks and a city bus goes right by the hotel. Everyone here was very friendly and helpful, and the price of $109 can't be beat anywhere downtown. The parking is $18 a day, but you can't park anywhere in a city for free. You will not go wrong at the Holiday Inn Express Midtown, it is great. We would definitely stay here again.

Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member mcd5

This hotel is located within walking distance of many attractions and great restaurants. Rooms are outdated and worn but very clean. For the price and location, I definitely recommend this hotel.

Comments