Latham Hotel - Philadelphia

3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

135 South 17th Street, (Walnut and 17th), Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19103, United States

Latham Hotel
Booking.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Costs 59% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• CabreraCostas's Profile Photo

Charming Boutique Hotel in the Heart of the City

The Latham's pricey, but it's a very nice, European boutique hotel in the heart of downtown Philadelphia. It has an Old World charm, with lovely architecture and decoration. The room was comfortable and the bathroom was elegant. Recommended for those that want a boutique experience and can spare the extra cash.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

centrally located

We had 24 hours in Philadelphia so we wanted a good but cheap hotel in the center, close to the main sights.

Latham Hotel is a nice old 3 star hotel (pic 1), centrally located so we could walk around easily (5’ walk from City Hall).

The check in at the central lobby (pic 2) was quick and the staff helpful with some questions but just that.

Our room (pic 3) wasn’t great but not terrible, I mean it was clean to the point you feel just ok. Anyway, the decoration was kind of heavy but I really didn’t care so much as we just overnight there and didn’t spend time in the room. There was a TV (pic 4) but we didn’t use it. The view from the window was at the back side of the hotel overlooking a parking (pic 5)

The bathroom was clean and we always like when some nice bath products are provided.

There is no breakfast in the hotel but there is a small café opposite the café and the city center is full of places (Reading Terminal Market isn’t far too).

We had free wi-fi in the room but the parking is very expensive.

Directions: From the 30th street train station we took the Subway(blue line) to 15th street and walked for 5’ to the hotel

• zuriga's Profile Photo

Rittenhouse Square Area and More

There are lots of new hotels - Marriott at the Convention Center, Lowes... But I like The Latham for an elegant, small and convenient location near everything.

Unique Quality: Exercise facilities, parking, sunny rooms with cable TV, modem connections, coffee maker, marble baths.

More about Latham Hotel - Philadelphia

The Latham was Great!

by TripAdvisor Member newyorkwalk1

We stayed at the Latham Hotel, a small boutique hotel, using the Dali Museum package this past weekend, and really enjoyed ourselves. We had a corner room on the 13th floor, so had sunlight from windows on all sides. The room was decorated in a cozy, B&B style -- although small, it was clean, bright and welcoming, with a great view of the city. The bathroom was again small, bright and clean -- but what more can you ask? The museum tickets were awaiting us when we arrived, all of the staff was friendly and easygoing. The only thing they could improve on was the breakfast at the Jolly restaurant downstairs -- it came with the deal -- eggs overcooked, and we had to wait...and wait...for the toast -- but otherwise it was fine.

The Latham is in a super location, right in the middle of town. We walked to Antiques Row, up to the waterfront, all over town.

All in all, a fun, relaxing weekend jaunt from DC. (Ask for Room 1303!!)

Cute boutique hotel for a great price!

by TripAdvisor Member nkgrl

I just recently stayed in the Latham Hotel while I was in Phila. For the price, I enjoyed the hotel very much. It is in a great location - 17th and Walnut - near lots of great shopping and some of the best restaurants in the city. I agree with most of the other reviews, that this is not a 5star hotel, but I found it very comfortable and clean. The bed was comfortable, but I could hear people outside my room in the hallway, or on the street. I can't say anything about their reservation system, as I used another website to book the hotel. But the staff was always courteous to me, and I was able to get a late check-out with no problem. I would definitely book again, for the right price!

Don't Expect Much!

The Latham Hotel did not live up to it's reviews or the dollars spent. Our stay there was truly below average. If you're just looking for somewhere to lay your head with basic accomodations, this is the place for you. If you're looking to enjoy yourself away from home with a little luxury, this is not for you.
My husband and I visited Philadelphia for the 111th annual Penn Relays. We wanted to be near Franklin Field and close to shopping areas as well. So location was great, but the hotel is in need of serious renovations. Our plumbing was terrible and the rooms were tiny!

Next year, we'll spend as much as we need to for a great hotel stay.

Great Location, but the rest needs some work...

by TripAdvisor Member Saysum

This was my first trip into Philadelphia and we were going for a medical school graduation that was taking place at the Kimmel Center. We were looking for a hotel close to it at a decent price, and the Latham Hotel appeared to fit our budget the best. We were looking at the Radisson Warwick and the Latham and not sure we made the right choice even though we saved $20 per night. We requested a non smoking room (due to 3month baby), however, upon arrival (11:00pm d/t flight), we were told that there were no non smoking room available. The desk clerk apologized but made no attempts to accomadate and gave us no options. We ended up staying in the smoking room for a night and the next day was able to switch rooms.
The rooms itself was bigger than I expected. We had a view over looking 17th St. The carpet was old but other than that, the room was acceptable. The bed was comfortable and the rest rooms were clean ( I can't say the same for the room that my friend was staying in). Previous reviews reported that the walls were thin and the rooms were noisy, I did not find either to be a problem. The hotel was in a great location near many shops and restaurants. If I was on a budget again, I would return to this hotel. Hope this review helps.
Danny

A terrific bargain!

by TripAdvisor Member MrMobile50

Look...I've read so many bad reviews on The Latham here, but I just don't get it. Upon our Sunday afternoon arrival, the valet and doorman were both very attentive and friendly. Check in was very smooth and courteous. The desk clerk was a well-groomed young man who greeted us with a smile and identified us respectfully as "Mr." and "Ms." He was unable to locate our breakfast vouchers at that time, but said he would have them sent to our room ASAP. No sooner had we checked into our very pretty room, when the doorman arrived with our missing vouchers.
The room was cozy and VERY comfortable, although I DO wish the doors were a little thicker and more soundproofed from chatter in the hallway. However, there was very little street noise, and the king bed was VERY comfortable! We both slept like logs, and woke up refreshed. Breakfast service was attentive and friendly, and the food quality was very good. Our car was retrieved promptly (within ten minutes of request), and was in the same shape as we left it.

I've stayed in motels and hotels of ALL prices and service ratings; from Day's Inns to suites at The Four Seasons. Sure, The Latham is NOT The Four Seasons, but for the price it's a fantastic bargain, unmatched by its terrific location in the City's center.

If I have ONE major complaint, the one that keeps me from giving The Latham a five-star rating, it is the terrible telephone reservation service. I was transferred back and forth between the operator and the reservation desk twice. The phone rang until it forwarded back to the operator each time. He continued to put me through to the reservation line where no one was answering. This happened twice, after which I hung up in frustration. My fiance tried again in the evening, and was able to make our reservation, however, she said the clerk sounded "like he was on drugs" and was not particularly friendly or helpful. I was almost afraid of what to expect on our arrival. I had read the bad reviews on here and I was becoming very reluctant about staying at The Latham after the phone call hassle and negative reviews, but I figured that for one night's stay it wouldn't matter much, even if there were flaws. Besides, the other hotels were booked solid. I am so glad I kept my reservation, because everything after that was just great! We will go back to The Latham, but I would urge the powers that be there to look more carefully at their reservation process. It certainly was not of the same caliber as the hotel itself!

Latham Motel

by TripAdvisor Member SapporoCA

So I read the reviews before I booked a room at The Latham and was fully aware that this was not going to be the Ritz Carlton. However, I was not expecting such a sorry, pathetic excuse of a hotel. After two nights there, you couldn't pay me to go back. The first room I was in, the sink was clogged, there was hair all over the bathroom (horror of horrors), the carpet was coming off the floor, and the sheets were about 50 thread count (a generous estimate). The second room was slightly better although this time the shower was clogged and the room smelled like a dining hall. The walls are paper thin, the lobby reeks of smoke and when I asked where the business center was, the front desk lady gave me a puzzled look and asked me what exactly I was looking for (never mind the fact that the hotel did indeed have a business center which was called "Business Center"--you would think the staff would be apprised of that). All in all, in my humble opinion, my experience was horrible, to put it mildly.

Dissappointed

I went to Philly for a conference and booked a stay at the Latham. The hotel was way over priced for the room and service. The carpet in my room was old, dirty, and coming off the floor. My bathroom was small and so basic it was a joke. The bath towels look like the rags I dry my car with. I expressed my concerns with the front desk manager and he said he was suprised and promised to have them replaced with new towels. Arriving back to my room after a long day, the "New" towels were just as bad as the old. The bed sheets were worn. The room just felt dirty. I am a seasoned traveler and this place should be priced as a budget motel. The hotel needs a major renovation.

Great Choice

The Latham is a small hotel on 17th St with a European flavor. It is within walking distance of almost all the historical sites and just blocks from the 5 Star restaurant Le Bec Fin.
The staff was friendly and very accomodating. I wanted a different room and it happened immediately with no questions asked.
When I am in Philly I will always stay at the Latham.

Where should I stay in Philadelphia??

by lularolla

I'll be visting Philadelphia for a business trip at the conference center. All the hotels right around there seem to be booked (because I left it too late I guess.) I'm on a little bit of a budget. I'm female, not a complete rube, but will be by myself. I'd like to be able to walk to and from my hotel. I don't mind walking a mile or so. I've had warnings from friends that some neighborhoods near the downtown area aren't so safe. Are there some areas that I should avoid? Any hotels to recommend?

Re: Where should I stay in Philadelphia??

by mccalpin

Several years ago, I was in the same situation in that all the hotels near the Convention Center were booked. I found the Latham Hotel (http://www.lathamhotel.com/) which wasn't on the convention's hotel block and still had rooms.

It's a European 'boutique' hotel (i.e., the rooms are small and it is not full service - no room service, for example, and the onsite restaurant (really a bar) is closed). However, it is nicely located one block east of Rittenhouse Square, and is just 3-4 blocks southwest of City Hall. Since the Convention Center is due east of City Hall, the overall distance is 7/10ths of a mile, I think, but near the hotel, it's a lively mixed use area with plenty of restaurants, even with tables out in the sidewalk, and the area closer to City Hall is a busy business/office area.

I returned to the Latham with my wife and mother-in-law, and she (my mother-in-law) felt perfectly fine wandering around the area during the day alone, and with us at night.

Anyway, see if they have room, because the walk is perfectly doable, and, of course, there are always taxis at night if that makes you feel better...

Bill

Re: Where should I stay in Philadelphia??

by footstool

I was just in Philly 9 days ago. Rittenhouse Square, in "Center City" of Philly, is a safe, posh area, for a five or six block radius. This Latham Hotel is located on the Square, and its $142/night is comparable to the Best Western Center City Hotel's $131.75. But at the latter, you will get full room service! I haven't been to either of these hotels.

Comments