Philadelphia Hotels

Our Members Say

• kenHuocj profile photo kenHuocj
  • Reviews: 592

Private Apartment with a view: CouchSurfing,org

After logging onto CouchSurfing.org, of which i have been a member since 2009, i perused the list of Philadelphia members offering their couch &/or bed in own room with Linen and towels for 1-3 nights. In return one is expected to take a along a gift, identify yourself and explain why you wish to be hosted by them.
I received a no, because he was out of town, and within hours a yes, a fifteen minute slow walk from the airport train, stones throw from the Free Library , Rodin museum and Barnes foundation, in other words i was on the fringes of City centre.
CS is based on members in different cities who exchange notes of agreeing to be friends, or who have hosted members from other cities and give a credibility rating. Apart from very infrequent mishaps, common sense and practical savvy allows one to identify the person.
My host was courteous and generous, took me on sightseeing trips, and i in tuwn invited him and son out to a Malaysian meal

beautiful apartment along a whole food, fast food outlets and restaurants, plus major sightseeing destinations of Philadelphia I succeded in getting my A- fro Philly 101 and US history 101

• Related to: Study Abroad, Budget Travel, Museum Visits
  • Written December 19, 2012

the Condo on N 20th St

• Ewingjr98 profile photo Ewingjr98
  • Reviews: 5703

Th Racquet Club of Philadelphia

The Racquet Club of Philadelphia is a historic private social club, which was established in 1889. The present facility, complete with indoor pool, gym, squash, court tennis, and racquet ball courts, was constructed in 1907 and place d on the national register of historic places in 1979.

The Racquet Club has 13 rooms ranging from reasonably sized suites to tiny rooms, just large enough for a queen sized bed. The room prices start around $130 a night for the smallest and go up to about $200 for the large suites. Amenities include free wi-fi, a complimentary continental breakfast, a business room, and a small HDTV. Guests are free to use any of the athletic facilities as well as the restaurant and bar (just be sure to follow the dress code--collared shirts are a must for gentlemen).

The hotel is open to non-members for an additional $20 per room per night. You can also reserve a block of rooms for events in the club, such as wedding receptions.

My favorite part of this location is the hidden stairways and passageways. We even discovered a path up to the roof, which offered a beautiful view to the south of Philadelphia.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written October 10, 2011

Our room at the Racquet Club

• LaceyAdkisson profile photo LaceyAdkisson
  • Reviews: 24

Howard Johnson: Good Quality, Cheap Price

I was very happy with my stay here with the exception of the itchy sheets. It had a great little restaurant downstairs next to the lobby with a wide variety of food, open late. My room was spacious, and the bathroom was filled with all the usual products (I didn't have a chance to test them out). The TV had all the latest movies and great networks. All around the hotel was quite and I felt safe, (which is so important to me).

My only complaint would be the bed. It was fairly hard and the sheets were itchy. I was so tired though, it didn't bug me as much as it normally would.

They did however provide a shuttle to the Newark, NJ airport and made my wake up call on time.

I would stay here again (but bring my own sheets.)

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written April 27, 2009

• LaceyAdkisson profile photo LaceyAdkisson
  • Reviews: 24

Days Inn: Ramada

I actually really liked the hotel. drinking and eating out can get very expensive, so it was great that there was the option of using the microwave in the room as well as a refrigerator. The bed was very comfortable, and best of all the room had WiFi connections for my laptop. At times it got VERY slow, but it was an unsecured line, so it didn't surprise me. I also forgot my shampoo and conditioner and usually HATE hotel soups, but I had no choice. The quality of the products was surprisingly very good. Also the hair dryer worked perfectly.

The room service wasn't bad either. One night I wanted a beer sent up while I got ready and it was fast and cheap!

Who doesn't love quick service, cheap beer, and a comfy bed! I think I'll save a lot of money by becoming a fan of the Days Inn :)

I very unique quality was the playground and GIANT pool they provided. If I would have brought my son, it would have been very helpful.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written April 27, 2009

• abckidz profile photo abckidz
  • Reviews: 14

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

If you're arriving on Amtrak...

I would say your best bet is taking the Amtrak into Philly if you live near another Amtrak station, especially on the east coast. You will arrive at 30th Street Station, which is technically about 15 blocks or so from "Center City" - not a very long taxi ride at all. It will definitely cost less than 10 dollars unless you're arriving during rush hour, in which case it might cost a bit more, but really from 30th street to Center City it's a straight shot for 15 blocks or so and is not a difficult drive at all. There are ALWAYS taxis outside the station as trains arrive at almost all hours of the day.

Philadelphia's streets are arranged in a very strait forward manner, so if you'd like to be closer to the train station you should look for a street number closer to 30, however the unfortunate aspect of taking the train is that if you'd like to stay in one of the nicer parts of town, for instance a part of South Philadelphia near the aforementioned attractions (where Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell are located), you're looking at a much longer taxi ride, as that area begins around 10th street or so, and progresses as the number get lower. Of course you may get lucky and have no traffic, but in reality it's a big city with traffic so you can't exactly rely on that.

If you use the link for amtrak (www.amtrak.com) you can find the address of 30th Street Station (or just Google it), and from there you can research some hotels you'd like to stay at, and use Google maps (www.maps.google.com) to calculate how far from the train station each of the hotels are.

• Written June 13, 2008

• Maria250 profile photo Maria250
  • Reviews: 568

Ramada Inn: Ramada Inn, a little far from the Airport

Full Service Hotel, has everything to make guests feeling comfortable. This hotel is centrally located, it takes few mns only from all major attractions of Historic Bucks County. Hotel's parking spot is great & offers much space!

I yet thought it's rather far from the Airport as the cab took about a 20 mns drive from the Airport to hotel.

• Related to: Road Trip, Business Travel
  • Written October 22, 2006
Tip Photo

• brazwhazz profile photo brazwhazz
  • Reviews: 485

Antique Row Bed and Breakfast: Close to the action, but not too close

The Antique Row Bed and Breakfast is of the self-serve variety. When you book your room, hostess Barbara Pope will ask you what you want for breakfast and provide it for you before your arrival. Our room had a kitchenette where we made our own breakfast. This is not a knock on the place, but I feel that it must be said in case some of you expect to eat in a special dining room.

The reason for this is that the B&B is spread over different nearby buildings of the Center City area. However, no matter where you stay, the location is excellent.

Barbara is a wonderful, efficient hostess who takes the time to show you around and answer all your questions. She is always just a phone call away.

Also, the B&B is located near South Street, which is one of the few places in town that does not close down after 5 p.m. However, the street on which our room was located was a quiet, residential one.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Arts and Culture
  • Written June 25, 2005

Nice 19th-century house

• butterflykizzez04 profile photo butterflykizzez04
  • Reviews: 1092

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Philadelphia-Cherry Hill Holiday Inn: Nice rooms and very big!!!

Our guestrooms offer either 1 King Size Bed with a pullout Sofa and large work area or 2 full size beds with an activity table. All rooms feature the most up to date in-room movies and Nintendo games. Both Business and Leisure travelers will enjoy the comfort and “home away from home” feeling that the Holiday Inn provides.

We were very happy with our room. It was wonderful and the mattresses were great.
I wanted to take the mattress home with me..

• Written March 29, 2005
Tip Photo

Great big rooms with nice amenities

• butterflykizzez04 profile photo butterflykizzez04
  • Reviews: 1092

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Holiday Inn Philadelphia-Cherry Hill: Great Location and easy access to Philly!

Holiday Inn Philadelphia-Cherry Hill is conveniently located just 6 miles from Center City Philadelphia in the Heart of Southern New Jersey.
Our location at Route 70 and Sayer Avenue allows for easy access from all major highways and puts us at the center of the areas hottest attractions. Our 186 recently renovated rooms offer a comfortable decor and many in room amenities for all travelers. Holiday Inn Philadelphia-Cherry Hill lets you relax and have fun all year long with our indoor and outdoor pools as well as our newly renovated fitness room. We are pleased to offer all of our guests Complimentary Parking. Holiday Inn Philadelphia-Cherry Hill also is home of the Red Hot & Blue, Memphis style barbecue restaurant and many others within walking distance for our guests' convenience.

Our stay: It was a lovely hotel and beautifully decorated. Large rooms and we were pleased with our stay. we stayed two nights.
Easy access to the subway to take us into Philadelphia.

Indoor Pool, great on-site restaurant, nice fitness center. Lots of space and rooms for conferences and conventions.

Holiday Inn Philadelphia-Cherry Hill is a 6 story hotel located in southern New Jersey just 6 miles from Center City Philadelphia. The hotel boasts 186 rooms with a warmly appointed décor. All rooms feature high speed internet, in-room iron, ironing board, hair dryer, safe and coffee maker as well as 2-line speakerphones, data ports and much, much more!

• Written March 27, 2005

Indoor pool at Holiday Inn

• jelw profile photo jelw
  • Reviews: 305

Adam's Mark Hotel Philadelphia: Golden Mile

This hotel has now been torn down. It is no longer in business.

The fine dinning at the Mark was excellent. The other dinning room I found to be wanting.
This hotel is not in Center City but offers easy access to other areas such as the Zoo, Manyunk and Cheltenham.

• Written November 18, 2004

• acemj profile photo acemj
  • Reviews: 4857

Bank Street Hostel: In the heart of Old City

Again, I've never stayed here, but I have paid the place a visit. All of the accommodations are dorm style, with men and women separated. They have internet access and a pool table too. The bad part is that the front desk is only open from 8 am to 10 am and then again from 4:30 pm to 12:30 am. Also, there is a curfew (12:30 am on Sundays through Thursdays and 1 am on Fridays and Saturdays). That's pretty lame if you ask me.

No keys are given out to guests so I guess once you're out between 10 am and 4:30, you're stuck outside! Hmmmm . . . that's a little lame too. Also, you can't reserve via telephone. You have to send a traveler's check or money order and then, they'll confirm with you. Strange, but true.

Well, there are more than a few negatives here, but the rooms look clean and if you can deal with the restrictions, you'll get the benefit of paying only $18 (for Hostelling International members) and $21 for non-members. Can't beat the price!

• Written May 12, 2004

• Treefrogfloyd profile photo Treefrogfloyd
  • Reviews: 9

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Bank Street Hostel: Not for Everyone, but a GREAT deal!

I was involved in planning a 3 day conference in Philadelphia, and was faced with the choice between driving back and forth to my home in Media, PA, or paying over $100 a night for a hotel room that I would only be using to sleep and shower in. My solution was to stay at the Bank Street Hostel for $21 a night.

They do not accept credit cards, but you can reserve a room in advance by sending a money order with the dates of your stay. I was going down on a Thursday, so I just showed up, and I had no problem getting a bed.

The building is old, but the rooms were clean, and the beds comfortable. I arrived Thursday at 5 PM, and paid a total of $44 ($21 a night for 2 nights, plus a one-time $2 sheet rental). There are 3 rooms, one for women, one for men and an overflow room that MAY be mixed gender, depending on the demand for rooms that evening.

The women's room is on the 2nd floor. The staircases are narrow, typical of buildings that age. When you walk into the room, you enter a small sitting room with a futon, and from there you enter another door to get to the beds and bathrooms.

The beds are a series of bunkbeds encircling the room. I believe there were 18 bunk beds, for a total of 36 bunks, but I didn't really count them.

The bathrooms are through yet another door, and the women's room has 3 stalls, 3 sinks, and 4 showers. I woke up VERY early each morning, so I had no conflicts with getting a shower, but this may be a concern during more popular waking hours.

The hostel requires that guests leave by 10 AM and they are not allowed to return until 4:30 PM, so be SURE you have EVERYTHING you need for the day before leaving. In addition, there is a curfew of 12:30 Sunday through Thursday, with a later curfew of 1 AM for Friday and Saturday nights.

In conclusion, this is NOT a place for you if you are looking for a romantic get-away, but it is great if you are looking for a cheap room convenient to the historical attractions of Philadelphia.

Obviously, a hostel is NOT for everyone. There were no age restrictions at the Bank Street Hostel (some hostels require you be a student, or under 35, etc) however you have to be willing to sleep in a room with 35 total strangers and share bathroom facilities.

There are no TV's in the bedrooms, but there is one downstairs in the lobby, and the hostel shows a movie at 9 PM each evening. There is also a pool table in the lobby.

You can bring your own twin sheets to save the $2 sheet rental fee. The hostel does provide a pillow and a blanket without charge.

• Related to: School Holidays, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written April 27, 2004

My bunk for the night

• acemj profile photo acemj
  • Reviews: 4857

The Ritz

I've never stayed here . . . it's a place for the big spender for sure. But, a friend of mine is the food and beverage director, so I've got a good hookup for afternoon tea, which is fun and elegant and a rare treat.

Martini's at the lobby bar are enormous, and the Ritz, of course, is famous for their afternoon tea.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Written September 12, 2002
Tip Photo

• ferdnbean profile photo ferdnbean
  • Reviews: 77

CenterCity Philadelphia has...

CenterCity Philadelphia has been undergoing a steady modernaization and an area where great progress has been made are the hotels just south of city hall on and near Broad St. All the top name hotels are available, and you are right in the center for the arts with theaters,the Academy of music and several other major ballet,broadway type venues all within a few blocks.

• Opinion of Price:
  • Written September 12, 2002

• JerseyDriver profile photo JerseyDriver
  • Reviews: 6

No real lodging...

No real lodging recommendations. I guess it all depends on $$$. The Holiday Inn on Arch Street is very nice but it seems like it could get very expensive. Go to http://www.sixcontinentshotels.com/holiday-inn?_franchisee=PHLIM for more info on pricing. This hotel is good because it is very centrally located to all the hot spots in Philadelphia.

• Opinion of Price: