National at Dockside Apartments

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Philadelphia

Bring on them small plates!Bring on them small plates!

Vamos a beber y comer!Vamos a beber y comer!

My glass of Sauvignon BlancMy glass of Sauvignon Blanc

Love statue at JFK squareLove statue at JFK square

Philadelphia Commute For Frequent Visits

by rsrobbins

I would like to visit Philadelphia more frequently but currently it is cheaper for me to visit New York City. In order for me to thoroughly explore the city I need to find a way to make inexpensive day trips. I can drive to Philly in three hours. I need someplace to park my car for free. I was thinking of finding someplace to park outside the city for free and then taking public transportation downtown. My only travel expense would be gas.

by Belsaita

I'm not an expert on that area but I was working near Philly for a couple of months. When I was to visit the city center I used to drive to the Art Museum area as it was easy to park around there, then using public transport.

But if you're in NYC a day-trip to Philadelphia may be easier and cheaper using the Apex bus (knowns as well as Chinatown bus), city center to city center in 2 hours, many buses per day.

by travelmad478

Take a look at the SEPTA website, www.septa.org, and the regional rail map. Quite a few of the stations have free parking (Norristown is one). You can park there and take the train into Philly. Keep an eye on train times though, since they are targeted for commuters and may not fit your schedule.

Parking in Center City Philadelphia is a real nightmare--I find it worse than Manhattan--but you can easily find non-metered spots in other areas of the city if you're willing to walk or take public transit. I used to live in West Philly and it was not hard to find spots on the street there.

by Sevsa

Yes, various parts of the city have plenty of free parking near public transportation although many areas you wouldn't want to park in. Many commuters park in the area I live in (Roxborough) and take the train or bus into center city. I'm not sure which direction you are driving from but if it is from the north/northwest then this could be a good option for you as the neighborhood is very safe and public transportation runs from about 5am to midnight.

Parking at SEPTA Stations

by PR-7

You can park all day at Septa Stations with parking for $1
www.septa.org/parking

Go to this map
www.septa.org/maps/system/index.html
and click on any station to learn about parking facilities there.

Torresdale, for instance, has 331 spaces for parking
www.septa.org/stations/rail/torresdale.html
and is apparently safe
www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=54673&start=0

If you arrive at a Septa Regional Rail Station after 9:30, you can buy a One-Day Pass
www.septa.org/fares/pass/independence.html
for $11, then ride the regional rail, bus, subway, trolley, and Phlash for the rest of the day.

by rsrobbins

Thanks! That is exactly the sort of information I was looking for. I will probably visit Philadelphia very often as soon as I get comfortable with a travel route.

by PhillyBorn&Bread

Hello. If I knew what route you were entering Philadelphia from I could make some recommendations. here in Roxborough we have a train station at Umbria st. and Parker ave where you can park FREE all day. Jump on the train and be in downtown in twenty minutes.

Travel Tips for Philadelphia

A Little "Common Sense"

by spgood301

This spot on S. 3rd Street, in Society Hill, is where Thomas Paine wrote his famous pamphlet, "Common Sense", outlining his reasons for American independence. This pamphlet was quite scandalous in its day.

The building's long gone - you notice it by the street marker. Thomas Paine was actually a native Englishman, who came to advocate independence for the colonies after settling here. In fact, he was one of the most famous spokesmen and advocates for eventual secession from the crown. If you want to learn more about Thomas Paine, you may want to visit the Thomas Paine Cottage in New Rochelle, NY, just north of New York City. He lived in this cottage for many years. It was set aside years ago to pay tribute to this vital figure, and one of New Rochelle's favorite sons.

SEE THE MUTTER MUSEUM! It is...

by nmac814

SEE THE MUTTER MUSEUM! It is something that most tourists don't go to because they've never heard of it! Also, you must go to Pat's Steaks in South Philly for a real cheesesteak -- trust me, those Steak 'Um sandwiches don't pass for the real thing! Other things that are a don't miss: The Mummers Parade (on New Years Day), the Mummers Museum (4th & Washington), Italian Market, the many ethnic festivals during the Summer on Penn's Landing... Anytime I go away from Philly, I constantly miss the food.

Well since im from South...

by Moonmyst15

Well since im from South Philly, ofcourse i'm gonna tell you to go there!

**ATTN** If you never have been to South Philly, it is mandatory you visit on New Years Day, the Mummers Parade is great. Tip(if your into partyin don't watch it in the convention center, get your ass down to 2nd st!!)

There is also South Street

The Laff House
221 South Street
Phone : 215 440 4242

PENNS LANDING

Philly Clubs (dont like one pick another, im sure there are enough of them)

Chrome Nightlife Arena

Shampoo
417 North 8th St.
215.922.7500

Adrenaline
1001 North Columbus Blvd.

Chemistry Night Spot

215.423.8116

Motion
953 North Front St.
215.629.4117

Pegasus Night Club (Kelso recomends it)
3801 Chestnut St.
215.386.0260

Polly Esther's & Culture Club
12th & Race St.
215.851.0776

The Attic (remember saved by the bell ;))
16 South 2nd St.
215.928.0665

Motion Nightclub - 953 N. Front Street - Philadelphia, PA -
Phone: (215) 629-4117

Babylon Night
Club - 1001 N. Delaware Avenue - Philadelphia, PA - Phone: (215)-592-8530 Everything!!

?To Do When You've Seen All the City You Care For

by ringleader

While the city is a good place to stay if you only have a short time to visit Philadelphia, several day trips (or more) to the outskirts and "country" will give you a more picturesque view of the area. Travel by car as far as two - three hours north or west of the city will provide much scenic enjoyment and activites for any traveler or family!

In the suburbs not too far away in Longwood Gardens is a lovely place to visit (once the home of the famous DuPont) either during the summer or at Christmas time! Cross the Delaware River and you'll find the Camden Waterfront attractions, travel west to Lancaster County, northwest to Reading and Hershey, north to Doylestown's Mercer Museum and the Moravian Pottery and Tile Works.

If you can time it to coincide...

by richiecdisc

If you can time it to coincide with New Year's Day, you can come and enjoy a true Philadelphia tradtion, The Mummer's Parade. Costume glad string bands, known as Mummers stut their stuff down Broad Street in sub degree temperatures and their legion of fans emhpatically follow suit. Whenever I hear the opening bass line of the Supremes’ “You Can’t Hurry Love,” it always reminds me of the same thing. Sometimes a song can capture a time and place like few other things and this is one of those instances. I am instantly transformed to the small concrete “back yard” of my Philadelphia childhood, where I’d carefully stack pennies on the tone arm of my small cheap record player to keep it from skipping a beat. Oh, and what beats they were, all records borrowed from my older brother and sister, with a high predominance of Motown, the popular soul music that swept down from Detroit and had taken over much of the nation. I was an avid Jackson Five fan, but my brother preferred the Temptations and Miracles. My sister loved the girl groups and there were no others quite like Dianna Ross & the Supremes. And no song captures my imagination of those hot summer nights like that one. The bass was hypnotic and the beat so snappy it demanded your attention and immediate swaying. Boys my age didn’t dance so much as rhythmically move to the wave of sound that emanated from the tiny, tinny speakers. And I can still see Cindy Baker, not so much what she really looked like but all that an eight-year-old boy could unknowingly long for. That she liked me was obvious from her eyes and I’m sure I unwittingly was putting off the same vibe with mine. But the song’s lyrics summed up our situation and the urgency of urban summer nights as well as the music underscored the preadolescent yearning of two neighbor kids, awkwardly squirming in the sticky city air. I remember the effect of the beat, the bass pulsating through my hips, Cindy’s darting eyes and wry smile, the thick air forming beads of sweat on my then hairless legs. And I remember Mama said, “You can’t hurry love. No, you just have to wait.”

Comments