Park Hyatt Philadelphia At The Bellevue

4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

1415 Chancellor Court, Broad and Walnut Streets, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19102, United States

Hyatt at The Bellevue
Orbitz.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• Bavavia's Profile Photo

Luxury At Its Finest......

Located on Broad Street near dozens of restaurants, theatre spots, shopping, this beautiful hotel( once infamous for Legionaire's disease a few decades ago), is a picture of luxury. Enter through the front and be greeted by the beautiful marble and old splendor of this hotel. This hotel boasts several famous restaurants as well as upscale shopping and even a food court down below. The rooms are beautiful and luxurious.Before you retire to your luxury suite, go to the Library Lounge for a cocktail and Joe, the bartender at this hotel for a long time, will be happy to bring you your drink of choice and anything from the menu as well. You can sit in the relaxing leather chairs sipping a cocktail and looking at the fireplace, then you can retire to your room for a peaceful night sleep and a full day ahead enjoying all that Philadelphia has to offer

Unique Quality: Decor, restaurants, upscale shopping,impeccable service

Directions: Close to City Hall in Center City Phila

More about Park Hyatt Philadelphia At The Bellevue

European Old World Magic in an American City the Park Hyatt delivers

by TripAdvisor Member frequentstaydude

Having read the reviews here I wanted to try and set the record straight as a long time visitor to this property.
The Park Hyatt Philadelphia is a sometimes misunderstood property.
Sometimes what makes a hotel special is what you can’t see from your first stay unless you are fortunate to take the time and explore first hand all this unique hotel has to offer guests.
For instance if one is running to appointments on business or out sightseeing and shopping a great deal it may be the little things that one misses.
While the Park Hyatt is not a perfect hotel it is one that seduces you over time with its charm and old world classic luxury style.

For starters I came to this property with a chip on my shoulder some years ago.
I am a fan of modern architecture and this property would normally be the wrong choice for me.
The award winning Hyatt Gold Passport Program is what really brought me to their door originally.Hyatt's program is a legend and highly rewarding for those that stay loyal to their hotels.
As a a frequent traveler with over 1600 room nights since 1997 I am no stangers to hotels from 2 star to 5 star properties.
However in the end it is the property and the majority of their service staff that keep me coming back for more.And that is where the Park Hyatt Philadelphia excels.

Upon arrival one enters on the ground floor, takes the elevator up and checks in on the 19th floor with an elegant reception area where wine or Evian water is offered to you in long stem glasses on a silver platter. Then one goes down in the elevator to their guest room.
This makes for a somewhat a quirky experience till one is used to the layout.

Over time I must admit I look forward to each stay knowing I am going to be in a superb location and have complimentary access to their excellent fitness club and partner “The Sporting Club”

The PH Philadelphia is one of those hotels I always sleep well in and come away rested from.The beds are quite comfortable plain and simple.Keep all the fancy name beds.How one sleeps at the end of the day is all that matters in my book.

From the high ceilings and historic details the Park Hyatt brings one back to an era that many of us are probably to young to have experienced first hand back when. The Park Hyatt is a true ladies and gentleman world. I have always found the staff here to be a class act with a can do attitude.
Treat them kindly and with respect and they will make whatever your wish come true if at all possible. Don’t hesitate to ask for a manager on duty either should one be required. From my experience it has always been their pleasure to assist.
They are a highly responsible group.
The team here over the years has virtually never said no to any request that I have ever had. In fact they have bent some of the rules. I never hesitate to send the hotel my personal leisure or business referrals.

Highlights of the Park Hyatt include large guest rooms with high ceilings, a 24 hour complimentary business center with computers, self park and valet parking, unique historic public areas, outstanding Sunday brunches, freshly squeezed orange juice, excellent breakfasts with great views of the city.
Be sure and order up to your room their freshly made house made white and dark chocolate hand dipped jumbo strawberries dressed up in what looks like tuxedo jackets. I always order up a tray from room service. If I am an invited dinner guest in town I always bring some along to my hosts as well by ordering extra from the gracious folks in room service.

“Founders” the noted elegant restaurant is currently being renovated as I write but will reopen as I understand sometime after the New Year.
It has always been a delightful dining experience in the past and I am hoping the new room will retain the former magic.
It was while dining here in the past the hotel truly won me over.
They even bring a little table over just to rest your morning newspaper on beside your table!! The service and their caring management make the experience a truly special experience. One that is worth leaving home for! They take the time to know you and call you by your name. Occasionally they may offer you complimentary tastes from the kitchen or an extra house baked cinnamon roll or something similar to take back to your room if they see you are passionate about what they serve.

As a Hyatt Gold Passport frequent guest I always find myself yet in another upgraded guest room or suite each stay. And what may appeal to some is that many of the rooms and suites are very different adding to the unique character of the hotel. I have never been in bad room just certain accommodations I prefer over others.

For a truly good and honest review one has to follow with some criticism. The ongoing renovations have been very slow over an extended period of time IMO And while I have been in a wide variety of very good accommodations I have never found the guest bathrooms to be up to par with the rest of the hotels superb quality. And for that matter other Park Hyatt’s of its caliber.
It is my hope that one day they will upgrade that one weak area. With that said the Park Hyatt is still a place with an extraordinary and grande history. A place to have a wonderful stay or event in.And what may be Americas most underrated city.

For a step back in time check out the old world European luxury grandeur with the high domed ceilings Don’t miss the experience.Then by all means make your own decision. I can say I remain grateful to the management and service team that have always gone out of their way for this guest over the years.
May they continue to do so!
Cheers

Awesome location, great service, stained carpets

by TripAdvisor Member Sunday-traveler

I stayed at the Park Hyatt Philadelphia for two nights in February. I had stayed at the Doubletree across the street in recent months, but since this was the start of my honeymoon, I thought the Park Hyatt would provide more charm. The service is impecable at the Park Hyatt, and the glass of champagne at check in is a nice touch. Our room was upgraded to a deluxe on the 16th floor, with a balcony overlooking the atrium of the hotel. The room was clean and pretty, except for the carpet. It was worn and needed replacing, evident by the many stains and general wear.
We did not eat at the hotel at all, there are so many coffee shops and great restaurants a short distance away.
Overall, a good stay. Comfortable beds and a great shower. I would stay again, but would ask to be moved to a different room because of the carpets. If you're looking for a grand old lady of a hotel and someone to spin the revolving door for you...stay here. If you want a more modern feel in practically the same location, stay at the Doubletree for less money.

A Real Mixed Bag

by TripAdvisor Member SueFee

First, the good things about this hotel---It has been nicely renovated, for starters. Plus, the bed was one of the most comfortable hotel beds we ever slept on. The towels were thick and huge, there was a nice selection of toiletries and we were surprised to find two bathrobes and two pairs of slippers in the room. In addition, there is a small shopping mall with a food court in the basement. Also, the hotel is very well located.
I have to give the Hyatt chain high marks for one service, in particular they provide--we told them we would be arriving late and wanted to be sure that we had a non-smoking room. They then gave us an "800" number to call at 6 a.m. (what they didn't tell us was that it was 6 a.m. central time!) on the day of arrival. Upon doing this, we would have a particular room reserved for us. We called and they gave us a room number and told us that a packet would be ready with our keycards when we arrived. Which brings me to a quirky thing about this hotel--the check-in desk is on the 19th floor! Also, the hotel is only on the 12th through 19th floors of the building--the other floors are offices.
When we arrived, we did valet parking which went well. The clerk at the check-in desk was simultaneously talking on the phone via a headseat while checking us in. He could have at least put the caller on hold for a minute, as we had some questions. Instead, he rushed us along.
Now, what's wrong with this hotel---the housekeeping. In every hotel we've ever stayed in before this, our room has been made up by the early afternoon, at the latest--usually before. We went out early and after a lot of walking, we were ready to rest a bit. When we got to our room at 2 p.m., it still hadn't been done. So we went to Border's across the street to browse and have a snack in the cafe. At 3:30, the room still hadn't been done and we were exhausted. I called housekeeping and was told abruptly that they will do our room. We then went to the lounge on our floor and waited. Finally, at 4 p.m, the room was done. We had left a large tip since we thought that the room looked nice when we checked in. The next day, housekeeping was even worse--so much for leaving big tips! Upon returning to our room at 4 p.m., it still wasn't done. My husband called housekeeping and was told the manager would call us back. 10 minutes later he did and my husband told them that we've never had to wait this long at any hotel we've stayed at before. He then said that our room would be done next and we told him we would wait in the floor lounge. While waiting, he found us, gave us chocolates and a note of apology. He told us he and his supervisor would be there when the maid was in the room. Well, the room got cleaned but almost all of our toiletries were taken and not replaced. I found an open storage room as a maid came by and asked her for toiletries. She told us she cleaned our room the previous day and left us some. I told her that I know she did but whoever cleaned the room today took them. On top of all this, less than an hour later, housekeeping knocked on our door and asked if we wanted our bed turned down! What a waste! They should have just done that when they cleaned our room!
In short, if you are the type who only is in your room to sleep, then you won't notice the housekeeping shortcomings. However, if you like to go back to your room to regroup, then this is a problem.

Always a pleasure

While travelling on business I have stayed at several hotels in Philadelphia, however the Park Hyatt remains my favorite. The location is excellent and the sevice is professional. The mix of the old world charm and modern amenities make you feel as if you were in a cloistered hideaway. Simple elegance at its best.

Romantic Night Turned into a complete Disappointment

by TripAdvisor Member gotmilk8

I have previous experience with the Park Hyatt brand from a stay at the Park Hyatt in Los Angeles and therefore I expected similar a similar experience from the Park Hyatt in Philly. I have never been more wrong. I booked the room the American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts program which is now extremely ironic after this stay. I arrived at the hotel and wanted to valet park, and there were no valets outside. I decide to self park rather than to wait around, and when I get inside the hotel, bags in hand, no one even offered to help with the bags. Upstairs, I checked in and they gave us glasses of champagne and we headed to the room. As I stepped off the elevators I was assaulted by the ugly lime green wallpaper. I reserved a "park suite" with a city view and the view was of the side of a building next door. The room is set up so that the bed is only 1 or 2 steps away from the door. The bathroom was tiny with green tile around the tub and I found out in the morning that the scale was broken.
Once settled in the room I went into the closet to get my girlfriend the extra blanket, and as I spread it out, I realized it smelled very strongly of urine. At what point does the hotel check these things? Later I called room service to order a late dinner, and the woman on the phone was extremely rude and refused to be accomodating. The food was terrible, I've had better quesadillas at every Sheraton that I've been to! When checking out I informed the woman at the check out desk that the blanket smelled like urine and all she had to say was sorry. I simply don't understand the level of service or the condition of the room at a place that is supposed to be a 4 star, or a place that calls itself a Park Hyatt. Never again! Do not stay here!

Awful

by TripAdvisor Member wuuuuuutever

I decided to stay in town for my fiance's birthday. I chose the Park Hyatt because she always talked about staying there. I paid extra for a "Grand Deluxe extra-large newly renovated king bedded room". At first arrival everything seemed fine we even received a glass of champagne. Eveything changed once we got to the the room. The room was tiny with barely enough room to walk in between the bed and the tv stand. The A/C seemed broken; it was set to 50 but felt like 80. The room smelled musty. It obviously had not been recently renovated. My fiance then found pubic hair in the bidet and the shower. We complained and received a new room, which was bigger and did have the newer bed with down comforter (the other one had the old floral pattern bed spread). However, the new room was dirty. Stains were all over the carpet, and black mildew all in the grout of the shower. We stuck with this room, and vowed never to come back. I thought it couldn't get worse but it did. The next morning after waking up we found dryed blood stains on the sheets in the bed. We checked out as fast as we could. On departure we had to pay 23.00 to park because no one informed us you need your check-in card for the room to get the hotel rate when departing the garage. The hotel receipt was not good enough proof of our stay. The last time we stayed in town we stayed at the Ritz 2 blocks away for 40.00 a night cheaper and the views, room, and service were a 1000 times better.

Location Great Service Poor

by TripAdvisor Member PackagingXpert

love the location, the room, But the Lack of service from the concierge service Needs to be Addressed. It seemed every time you called the concierge or stopped by they stepped away or you got voice machine, you would figure at a fine hotel like this you'd have someone available at dinnertime. My Husband had to go across the street to the Doubletree hotel and ask the concierge for directions to the Art museum today, due to a parade on the Ben Franklin Parkway.

I think on our next trip we'll check out the Doubletree hotel.

Five star service

by TripAdvisor Member INeedFlight

Stars and diamonds are given to hotels based on amenities, hours of operations, staff to guest ratio, and the like. The Park Hyatt Bellevue was not short on any of the above.
However, there are certain qualities that are unmeasureable where AAA and mobile travel are concerned. An example would be the staff overall disposition. Not only was the attitude of the staff subperb, but their service was seamless and seemed laborless. From a guest's perspective, it seemed like they enjoyed their work. This was the case particularily in the hotel lobby and main restaurant. Yet even a housekeeper would not pass by in the hallways without at least a smile and a wave.
For old world charm and service this should be your hotel to stay in Philadelphia.

P.S. the location is perfect.

Save a buck and go to Wendy's!

We arrived for lunch at The Cafe before the usual lunch crowd. There were approximately eight other people in the room before us. We were seated in a lovely room with a view. However, the service was so bad, we even had to ask for our own water! Considering it is an upscale restaurant and hotel, this was unacceptable. Our server seemed to "forget" to order our lunches as well. We did not get served until an hour into our lunch! All we ordered were sandwiches! Luckily, we were given four bread sticks to nibble on! We watched as others were served their lunch entrees and they came in much later than we did. Even more embarrassing...the manager...just came over and said, "your food is coming...I saw it!" No compensation or sincere apology was offered. Never, ever again. We were even late for the show we had driven two hours to see. Very disappointing.

Comments