Rittenhouse Hotel

Costs 32% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Rittenhouse Hotel

Tea Time

by Sue08080 about Mary Cassatt Tea Room

The Rittenhouse Hotel offers afternoon tea in the Mary Cassatt Tea Room off the main lobby. The beautiful, classic presentation makes this a very special afternoon experience.

Loved the Rittenhouse!

by TripAdvisor Member JTJT

We just returned from a wonderful stay at the Rittenhouse Hotel! It is one of our favorite hotels, due to the large, beautiful rooms; excellent, helpful staff; and lovely lobby. This hotel has kept its elegance over they years. The location is great, right on the edge of Rittenhouse Park. We recommend it highly!

Best Hotel in Philly

by TripAdvisor Member buckeyes15

I can't say enough good things about the Rittenhouse Hotel. The location is the best, the service is the best, the rooms are the best. I have stayed at the Philadelphia Ritz, Four Seasons and I think the Rittenhouse was the nicest. (The Four Seasons is a close second, but the location of the Rittenhouse is far superior). We stayed in a king suite and it was perfect in every way. I would highly recommend this hotel when travelling to Philadelphia.

Hotel Okay, Brunch Phenomenal

by TripAdvisor Member NYCMama3

My husband and I just returned from a President's Day weekend at The Rittenhouse; a much needed two day break from our kids.

The upgraded (as a first time customer) King room was spacious, but as a review below commented, absolutely too cold. With both heaters on full blast it only became comfortable upon check-out. It was a freezing weekend, but that is no excuse.

The room was fine in every way, decor-wise, color scheme wise, square footage-wise, but something was "off" or not pleasing. My husband thought it was a Feng Shui thing. The rooms have a very peculiar shape which enables every room to achieve a "corner view", but is somehow displeasing. Our large room was "Y" shaped, if you can imagine.

The service was friendly and everyone was trying, but was somewhat amateurish. Housemade chocolates, cookies, and champagne are available upon weekend check-in, but they don't let you know! You have to awkwardly stumble upon it.

The spa was fine.

What was really an unexpected knockout was the Sunday Brunch. Wow! For $50 one can have unlimited caviar (4 types), plump, fresh and well shucked oysters, wild boar, duck, fabulous Beef Wellington, and 100 other dishes. We were blown away! The service was professional and extremely friendly, the room is lovely, and the dishes are beautifully presented and very well prepared.

We have eaten (well) throughout the world and have never experienced such an elaborate and fantastic brunch as this one. And the desserts! Imagine being able to sample dozens of tiny desserts, with a chocolate fountain awaiting you in the kitchen, where you are welcomed by the chefs... The brunch in and of itself is worth a visit to the Rittenhouse!

Perfect City Hotel

My husband and I stayed in their standard room over the Thanksgiving weekend. The room was very spacious for a standard room. The room had a hallway that lead to a roomy marble bathroom, a vanity area, then a junior suite set up (king bed, couch, coffee table, tv armoir). Our room faced the park which gave the hotel a nice residential feel.

The location is what attracted us to this hotel. We were able to walk a few blocks to Philly's "Splash" Trolley. For a dollar, this trolley ran every 15 minutes and took you to all the city's highlights (musuems, terminal market, liberty bell, seaport). We also were able to walk to the symphony one night (about 8 city blocks).

We skipped La Croix and opted for Smith & Wollensky for dinner, which is also in the hotel. The food and the service was exceptional. The hotel also has a spa and an indoor pool which we did not get a chance to experience. The concierge was helpful in getting us a rental car, otherwise there was not much contact with hotel staff.

All in all, it was a pleasant couple days, no complaints, and would definitely return.

perfect location

by TripAdvisor Member ofdevils

we've been to many fine hotels in Phillly. (4 seasons, park hyatt, omni). this has the best location to walnut st./chesnut st. shopping /dining. all 5 min away. great views of rittenhouse square. rooms larger than 4 seasons. luxurious ameneties. lacroix rest. fine service. excellent prix fix menu with large portions/included dessert. service was very personal. will definitely stay here again. very comparitable to 4 seasons. 4 seasons/logan square is in closer to proximity to museums than the rittenhouse. 1st time reservations recieve $5o credit towards room or meals.

The only hotel to stay in when in Philly!

by TripAdvisor Member softcoverbook

I was accompanying the author Angela Nissel on her book tour and we stayed in many excellent hotels in several cities, but The Rittenhouse outperformed all of the other hotels on every level. The room was huge and everything was clean and comfortable. My room had two padded *rocking* Lay-z-boy type chairs, two desks, and one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. The bathroom had a shower as well as a tub - there was also a vanity area outside of the bathroom. The shampoo and soap were all Aveda products. Small things that mae a big difference like a TV and heat lamp in the bathroom, an ethernet cord that stretched beyond the desk. Ordered room service 5x - each time it came within 20 minutes. Valet service was prompt as well. If you don't have a car, they provide towncar service within Center City. The windows were large, giving you a great view of Rittenhouse Square.

Convenient to everything, within walking distance of the best shops, restaurants and City Hall. The "do not disturb" sign was always honored - no annoying "housekeeping!" knocks even if you left the sign on for the entire day. The staff was helpful, but not smothering. About an hour after checkin, a free plate of chocolates and spring water with an edible personalized greeting was delivered to the everyone's suite (see photo).

Chatted with several employees and they all were helpful and courteous - not a bad apple in the bunch. If more hotels were like the Rittenhouse, being on the road would be a breeze. It's nice to know some places still believe in customer service.

Best in Town

by TripAdvisor Member Tom2002a

I travel to Phila on business and have stayed at: the Ritz, Park Hyatt, Doubletree, Marriott and Sheraton. I regret not finding the Rittenhouse sooner - hands down the best hotel in town.

Pets in your room!!

by TripAdvisor Member GermainLisbonne

Stayed at the Rittenhouse for over $300 recently and was shocked to find out that its a pet friendly hotel. Which means cats, dogs, etc were likely in your room...sitting on the chair, on the bedspread, doing who knows what on the carpet you walk on!
At minimum they should advise guests clearly, in their website, or even their name. i.e Rittenhouse..The pet friendly hotel.

For me this was entirely offputting. Beware and be warned, If you have allergies they may be set off by this less than human hotel.

By the way, the rooms are nice but overdone.
Good bits are the fitness centre (I wonder if its pet friendly too?) and the restaurant.

Rittenhouse was truly amazing

My wife and I were given a night at the Rittenhouse along with concert tix as a wedding present. I surprised her with an extra night, and this was without knowing anything about the hotel. From the moment we got there we received the royal treatment from each and every member of the staff. Extremely courteous and polite, helpful and very approachable. Our room was amazing, a standard King room. It was the biggest room either of us had stayed in for the price, and we have been everywhere. Awesome bathroom and my wife loved the Aveda products (ok, i did too). Bed was very comfortable as well. The hotel offers afternoon tea every afternoon from 2-5 (about 20 dollars each) and again the service and overall experience was great. Another bonus is having Smith and Wollenskys steakhouse basically attached to the hotel, and offering room service. All in all, our experience was awesome. We had a great time in Philly but I can honestly say that the Rittenhouse made our experience really special. We loved it and would never stay anywhere else in Philly when we visit again!

What'd I tell ya?What'd I tell ya?

Our cheese steaks and cheese friesOur cheese steaks and cheese fries

HummusHummus

Blue Sea at Academy of ArtsBlue Sea at Academy of Arts

where is the station?

Hi

I'm booking a business trip for a colleague. I'm looking to book a hotel in Philadelphia within walking distance of the train station if possible! What's confusing me is whereabouts is the train station located? Is it close to the city centre, is there a name to the area its in that would help me when looking at hotel addresses? If you have recently stayed in a nice hotel near Philadelphia train station - please do suggest!

Any advice on websites (easy-to-understand maps of the city, hotels...) would be really useful too!

Thanks soooooo much,

best wishes & thanks!
Sarah

by mattnadine

30th st. station is a very quick taxi ride to any hotel in center city Philadelphia. it is about a 20 min walk to the rittenhouse Square area. Which have lot's of very nice hotels. The Rittenhouse hotel being one of them. Also you can take a septa train one stop to suburban station, or two stops to market east station. and you are walking distance from all the hotels in center city. These trains run very regularly and only cost 3 dollars. Often the septa workers don't even ask for your ticket so the ride could be free. check out septa.org. Other nice hotels walking distance form these stops, are the ritz-carleton, 4 seasons, lowes, and the doubletree.

by driving2horizons

no worries! ive just booked a hotel :-)

thanks for taking the time to read my posting!

best wishes
sarah

by rke21

I was wondering, why do you need to be close the 30th Station? Where is your colleage going? You can get there pretty easily with a combination of subway/regional.

RE: RE: where is the station?

by driving2horizons

it was due to time limits, schedule and a number of reasons. all sorted now though :)

thanx

by cathy9510usa

Sarah, I'm a little concerned. Although I haven't been in Philadelphia for some years, when I was there the area around 30th Street Station was not a good one, and I would never have considered staying there at night. Maybe the area has changed, but it might be wise to look into this aspect. It might be a lot better to stay somewhere else and take a taxi, as other posters suggested.

Comments