The Independent

1234 Locust St., (formerly The Inn on Locust), Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19103, United States
Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

More about The Independent

Expectations exceeded, will stay again

by TripAdvisor Member theboone

The room was clean and spacious. Hotel staff are very polite and seemed more than willing to answer questions or accommodate requests. The area is convenient to the train, but we just walked or took taxis everywhere. For a $4-$6 cab fare, you can go to any of the main downtown attractions (Independence hall, south street, etc.). I will stay at The Independent next time I visit Philly.

not your typical hotel, but very nice

by TripAdvisor Member Dutch Brother

The Independent is different. It is a small, high quality hotel with an emphasis on fine furnishings. The beds were comfortable. The satin bedspreads were beautiful, but they were so slippery they slipped right off the beds. The wood floors were beautiful. The furniture and decor was very tasteful and stylish. The bathroom was very large, about 18 feet long, but had only a shower, no tub. Not sure why with all that space. The double showerhead was nice.

The $15 overnight parking half a block away was a good deal. The one elevator was slow, especially to arrive. The continental breakfast was free but truly minimal, with nowhere to sit. Basically it's coffee, bottles of juice, and pastries you can take back to your room. It's better than nothing. Service is friendly.

The location is quite good, in the heart of the city on a fairly narrow and quiet street. We had a room that faced the courtyard, at the end of the hall, so that was probably even quieter.

This was a very pleasant hotel. If you want nice furnishings without a large crowd of people, this is a good choice. But if you want a hotel with the usual range of amenities, this is more like a large B&B than a full service hotel.

Would Never Stay Here Again

by TripAdvisor Member team_c_g

Our room was not ready when we arrived and we had to wait almost an hour past the normal check in time for the room. The room we finally checked into vibrated and had an extremely loud buzzing/humming sound because it was right above the main water heater for the building. We were moved to another room, and the manager sent us a bottle of wine, which we appreciated. However, the problems continued. The mini-fridge in the second room was so loud that we had to unplug it in order to sleep. With the exception of one of the managers, the staff was extremely unhelpful and snooty. They were unable to provide basic information like how to get around the city using public transportation, whether various tourist locations provided tours or required tickets, and good places to eat. Because there were so many problems when we checked in, one of the staff promised us a discounted rate on our room, but the discount was not reflected at the time of checkout. The person we spoke to at the time of checkout refused to honor the promise of the discounted rate, and only after we argued with her and she called another manager did she give us the discount on one of the nights (as opposed to both nights, as promised). The rooms were well furnished and the hotel was in a good location, but overall the customer service was terrible, and I would never stay here again.

Great little hotel in a great location

by TripAdvisor Member Hardyannual

The rooms are very generously proportioned and stylish (plus free internet). The location can't be beat: central to all interesting areas of downtown Philly, but quiet. The staff were pleasnt and helpful. The breakfast was above average. There is no minibar, but a fridge and microwave, which are much more useful.

Terrific find of a boutique hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member don15215

I spent a single night at this unique property while in Philadelphia to visit my college-age son. It was a great experience and I'd strongly recommend it to anyone who wants to stay in the city but stay somewhere small and tasteful rather than large and garish. My room was very tastefully appointed with rich wood floors, stylish bed coverings, heavy drapes and a comfortable desk and chair. There was a flat screen television, an IPod compatible clock/radio and a small refrigerator and microwave, none of which I used.

The bathroom had lights that dimmed and a shower with a double shower head. Since it wasn't a large shower stall you couldn't escape from the water without turning it off but it was sort of interesting none the less. My experience was that the property is very, very quiet but I don't know how many people were there that night and I arrived at the small breakfast buffet just as they were cleaning it up.

The bed was very, very comfortable but I have to agree with a previous reviewer that the bed coverings were so smooth that they tended to slide off the bed. The location is very central and while I didn't have to park on this trip the advertised $15 parking cost is cheap by Philadelphia standards.

Ive stayed in various places in Philadelphia over the years my son has been there and far and away this is the best value I've encountered. Unlike another reviewer I had nothing but a professionally cordial interaction with the staff at both ends of my stay.

Decent hotel, poor customer service

by TripAdvisor Member skyvoid

We got a good deal on this hotel through the GoPhila overnight package, which gave us free parking during our 2-night stay. We paid about $125 per night, which felt about right considering the accomodations.

Hotel is nicely appointed, but no frills (no pool, no workout room, no room service). There was a small business center. Our room was quite small--the bed took up most of it, but nicely decorated. The bathroom was fine--small, but sufficient. Flat screen TV with HD channels was a nice plus.

The problems:

*The safe in the room did not work. The woman at the front desk said she would store our valuables for us.

*The hotel did not honor the price it quoted us over e-mail. Total charges were $3 more than quoted. Sure, it's a trivial amount, but the principle of the thing bothered me. What bothered me more is that the person at the front desk wouldn't make the change.

*My biggest complaint is that they did not clean the room during our stay. This is something you'd expect at even a cheapo hotel, so I was suprised that such a thing would happen at a hotel presenting itself as more upscale. I complained to two different front desk people on two different days. Both said they would contact the manager. As of this writing, I have still not heard from the manager.

The poor customer service is a shame, because this hotel has the potential to be a nice, affordable getaway in Philly. It's especially disappointing to see a new hotel (I believe it opened this summer) not put more effort into keeping its customers happy.

Great find in Philly!

by TripAdvisor Member jac2028

My boyfriend and stayed in this hotel for three nights in January, and we were very very impressed. The hotel is older but has been completely redesigned in a modern and chic way.
Our room was great, with hard wood floors and a brick washroom, which made it very comfortable and stylish.
The location was ideal as we were right between new and old philly.
The reception staff was also very helpful.
The breakfast was good for continental- but no one should expect bacon and eggs...

I would definitely recommend the hotel, especially if you can get a great deal as we did.

Great location, wonderful service and comfortable rooms

by TripAdvisor Member ChgoTrav78

Having never spent time in Philly or knowing much about the hotels within center city, I picked a great hotel to stay in. The location was close to everything. The staff was extremely receptive to my needs and very welcoming upon arriving at the hotel. They were able to offer me different restaurants within a 3 block radius of the hotel that has been personally recommended by them. Ate at a few of their suggestions and were spot on. They offered me a free pass to the gym around the corner from the hotel, which is something I've not experienced before. For not having a gym/pool, they sure know how to accommodate a guest who would still like to maintain their workout regimen. The room was very clean, fresh and quiet. The shower was fantastic as were their bathroom ammenities. For sleeping in a bed outside of my own, the bed was very comfortable with no interruptions.

Was very impressed with the newness of the hotel and the staff, including the management. They certainly know how to make a guest feel at home away from home and maintain repeat business anytime I'm in Philadelphia. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone on the search for a quality, stress free, relaxing and an enviornment much like a home.

Great Little Hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member VSKova

The staff was friendly, rooms clean, and loved the decor. Simple and modern. Nice heavenly bed style. Room was quiet even though the room was behind the elevator shaft. And, there was a noisy HVAC you could hear once in a while from the bathroom, but if door was closed, was perfectly quiet. This is a great hotel. Manager gave me great restaurant recommendations as well. If you are a freakishly picky person, I am sure you could find a problem...yes, the bedspread tends to slip off if you have it folded toward bottom of bed, but who cares! Easy to use (and free) business center and they even let me check in early!

I would absolutely recommend, and wish I could have spent another night!

An excellent experience - highly recommended

by TripAdvisor Member AndWhere2Next

We booked a couple of rooms for New Years Eve and the hotel exceeded our expectations. The rooms were beautifully furnished and the hotel staff was friendly and knowledgeable. I live in the Philadelphia area but wanted to be in the middle of everything for the New Years celebration and this was a perfect location.

While there is no bar or restaurant inside the hotel, there is a trendy bar and restaurant on the ground floor of the building. Big windows, comfortable booths - great for people watching.

Since my stay, I've had several friends and family members come to town - everyone who stayed at the hotel (even my very particular aunt) raved about the place. I'd absolutely recommend to anyone. The manager went out of his way to make sure that my family and friends were taken care of.

Comments