10 Avenue of the Arts, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19107, United States

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia

Disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member Movieman

We stayed in the Ritz for one night at the beginning of June. The lobby was beautiful, the room was adequate for a 5 star hotel and the bathroom was quite large.

My overall feeling would be that we did not get value for money. The staff did nothing "extra" to justify the price we had paid for a 5 star hotel. The welcome was cold and there was nobody available to bring our bags to our room. A few small touches could have made all the difference (e.g. newspaper to the room in the morning).

On the morning we were due to check out, the cleaning staff knocked at 10.30am to ask if we wanted our room cleaned ! Surely they have records of who is checking out on a particular day. As we were vacating the room by 12.00, this felt like an unnecessary intrustion.

We also had to endure another woman coming in about 30 minutes later to check the mini-bar. We were busy packing to leave and had to sit there while someone counted how many peanuts we had eaten ! (None - we didn't touch the exorbitantly priced mini-bar). It wasn't something we expected from a 5 star hotel.

Not exactly the memorable stay we would have expected in the Ritz.

Was an okay stay

Stayed at the Ritz while on business in Philly in mid June. I was very excited to stay at such an upscale hotel, but I was a little disappointed with my visit.

We got to the hotel earlier than normal check in time. We were not able to get to our rooms but were allowed to go into the Spa to change clothes and freshen up, which was nice. The concierge held our luggage for us until we were able to check in. Hotel staff was very polite and helpful.

My room was standard with a king sized bed, but a lot smaller than I expected. Upon entering it was extremely hot and stuffy; the air conditioning hadn't been turned on so there wasn't any air circulating. The carpet was a little worn looking and spotted in some places. The bathroom was beautiful with glassed-in shower and marble floors. The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable. As I was unpacking I noticed that a handle had fallen off the dresser next to the bed. Most of the issues I found with the room were very minor, its just that I didn't expect there to be so many inconsistencies with the state of the room at this hotel!!

Maid service was standard, though for turn-down they threw the comforter and accent pillows in a heap behind the chair, which I thought was a little strange. The maid also kept turning off the air-conditioner completely, so each time I came back to my room after work, it was like a sauna!

Even up on the 16th floor I could still hear all the noise from the street (construction, cars honking, etc). Its not the hotel's fault but if you are sensitive to this you may not get a good night's sleep.

At check out, they had charged me for miscelaneous mini-bar items, which I did not use. The hotel staff took it off the bill immediately, but it seemed rather insulting that they would try to get away with charging me for things I never touched.

Overall the hotel was okay. I was on business so I didn't have to pay for the room, therefore I didn't mind the small problems that came up. BUT if I paid for it myself (and its an expensive place) I would be very unhappy with the experience. The lobby was gorgeous, the staff courteous and accomodating, but the room was just okay. Not what I expected from such a fancy hotel. I stayed at the Intercontinental in Miami earlier that week, and prefer that hotel over the Ritz (at least the Ritz in Philly).

Honestly... an enjoyable stay

by TripAdvisor Member Love2Escape

My husband and I just returned from Philly, where we stayed 6 nights at this gorgeous property. After reading the reviews for this property (*after* we booked) -- I became very afraid of this hotel, and tried desparately to find an alternative location. Unfortunately, due to the BIO conference being in town, this wasn't possible... However, upon learning the "tricks" to this hotel (i.e. corner room, high floor, bathtub, nonsmoking, not near an elevator) - we received a perfect room on the 25th floor (2502). The room was small, but very cozy; the housekeeping was actually superb, restocking, cleaning, evening chocolates and turn-down. Of course, we do leave a few $ per day for this person (may make a difference?). We were always greeted with a smile, doors held open, etc... There just wasn't any apparent surliness or incompetence at any point in our stay. If anything, all of this attention was overwhelming! Maybe the Ritz has actually read the previous reviews posted on this site -- and responded accordingly! A final note - the location of this hotel is really convenient; close to nice shopping on Walnut and Chestnut Streets and a very do-able walk to the Independence Hall historic area.

A grand old hotel

I stayed at this hotel on business - thought it was lovely but I wouldn't spend my own money on staying here. It was very old-fashioned, but in a nice way. Excellent location, right in the heart of the city, and a beautiful building. There weren't enough staff at the reception desk and breakfast was a little slow, so I would say that the service wasn't to a standard I would expect for the price my employer paid.

My room was on a high floor - I wouldn't like to have been lower because the traffic on the street outside is quite noisy. It was a fairly standard, clean hotel room, excepting the bed, which was very comfy, and the bathroom, which was amazing. It had marble everywhere, a massive shower and even a separate room for the toilet. The bathroom was worthy of the price paid for the room, but I wouldn't say that anything else was worth it. Apart from the beautiful lobby and the fact that there were bathrobes, I could have been in a Marriott. But I'd stay there again if the Expenses Department lets me!

Overall, a nice stay

by TripAdvisor Member Elires

I was a bit concerned about the hotel based on Trip Advisor feedback, but a Ritz is a Ritz, I figured, how bad can it be? Well, the lobby is indeed gorgeous as reported. The rooms? They're OK. We had a Superior room and the bathroom was fantastic, the room itself though was a bit dark and bland. We requested a change since our room was next to an elevator - a bad thing according to other postings, but while the other room they offered had a nicer view, it was half the size of our room, so we declined and stuck it out. Actually, noise wasn't a problem. (We were on the 14th Fl, even the street noise wasn't apparent at night.)

While guest services were great in some respects, according to my husband (he worked with them to plan a special treat and they were very accomodating), they were lacking in others. We called for towels one morning. After 25 minutes of waiting, we called back. After 35 minutes of waiting, my husband flagged down a maid in the hall and got some from her cart. I then received a call asking if our towels had arrived. I explained that we simply got them ourselves from a nearby maid. One hour after our initial call, new towels showed up at our door. Odd. The bellhops, doormen etc. though, were falling over trying to be kind and helpful and we received a nice call greeting us and even a signed picture of the Philly skyline wishing us a happy anniversary, which was a bit strange, but nice.

Overall, not a bad stay, if you are not paying full price.

Loved the Ritz

This is a standard Ritz Carlton. The lobby is beautiful, the employees are very polite and the room was clean and comfortable. The parking is a bit confusing - pull around to the front of the hotel. There is valet parking even though the parking lot behind the hotel has a sign that says "Enter Ritz Carlton" guests.

Five Star Experience

I read many reviews on this site and booked it with some reservation, but found it to be MUCH better than I anticipated. I was greeted by EVERYONE at the hotel. Doorman, bellman, maid, concierge at every corner. Staff was very helpful. The concierge staff is very connected and can get reservations for many places that are booked or don't even take reservations. I went with a room that was a bit smaller so we could have a view of the beautiful city hall. Bathroom was great and very comfortable bed.

They must have gone through a staff change since the summer, as I see many bad reviews from that time, but I really felt a difference my stays at Omni's and Marriots. It really was a beautiful place, and definitely on a different level of quality from the 4-star hotels.

Top Notch

by TripAdvisor Member islandsgirl

I stayed at the Ritz for a seminar. After a rather harrowing travel experience, I arrived there exhausted at 7:30 a.m. At first I was told check-in was at 3, but when I asked if there was any way I could check-in earlier the front desk staff immediately found me a room, and a nice one at that. I was settled and comfortable within 15 minutes of arrival. The room was small but well-appointed. There were robes, a hair dryer and an iron. The Ritz toiletries are some of my favorites, and they think of everything (moutwash! Woolite!). The bed was supremely comfortable. The bathroom was stupendous - all marble, big tub and shower. The Ritz knows how to work the little touches - after my seminar, I came back to the room to find a plate of chocolates and cookies. I was in the midst of a business transaction, and the desk staff easily coordinated sending and delivering multiple faxes with no hassle. The hotel is centrally located, a nice (and safe) walk to Rittenhouse Square and other Philadelphia attractions. The lobby is spectacular. I had no complaints. If you're looking for a humongous room, this hotel isn't for you, but if you want a place to relax or travel for business where the staff is attentive to your needs, the Ritz is ideal.

Gives the Ritz Carlton a bad name

I booked a suite for my trip, and I could not believe how small it was. It's basically a regular room with a wall built in the middle. It's better to stay in a regular room with a nice big bathroom with separate bath tub and shower. My suite came with just a shower and the stall was so small I always banged my elbows. I'm a petite 5'6" 110 pounds, and I felt like I was standing in a stand-up coffin! Please save your money and go to the Rittenhouse. This is the worst Ritz Carlton I've ever stayed at.

Comments