Windsor Suites

1700 Benjamin Franklin Pkwy, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19103, United States

The Windsor Suites
Travelocity Booking.com Expedia.com

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo

A very good stay in Philly

Windsor Suites Hotel is a four stars hotel located in the business distric of Philadelphia, very close to the cultural district of the town. It has got apartment-style living with all the services of a first-class hotel. The rooms have high-speed Internet access, television and coffee maker. The staf was very friendly and give you all the information you need to visit the town

Unique Quality: One the thing I very appreciate about Windsor Suites Hotel is the fantastic rooftop pool: you can swim among skyscrapers!!!
    Every floor have got laundry facilities and same day dry cleaning. The hotel have a guest amenities center, with computers, printer, and Internet access. The breakfast is not included in the fare but you can have it in Con Murphy's Irish Pub located in the ground floor of the hotel.

• kazander's Profile Photo

Great location, but slanted beds???

The Hotel Windsor is located right in the middle of things. About 10 blocks walk from either the Museum District, or the Historical area, depending on which direction you go. The room was spacious with 2 double beds, a kichen and 2 walk in closets. Seemed like a good place to stay if you neede to be in Philadelphia on business for awhile, or just simply if you have a LOT of luggage.
    It did the job for us, though we only utilized the kitchen for the sake of making tea and coffee in the morning.
    The only complaint was that Lou found the bed to be on a slant, with his feet higher than his head. Not the best nights sleep we ever had.

Unique Quality: The best thing about this hotel was the rooftop pool. Unfortunately it was not open yet, have to wait for summer for that. We were still able to go to the roof and check out the city views at night. Just beautiful!

More about Windsor Suites

An Excellent Location

A very good choice for three adults who stayed Nov 25 -26 2004. The room was very clean and apparently been recently renovated - new wall paper-. The kitchen was fully stocked with cooking and eating utensils. The lobby looked as if it had been renovated also. The people at the front desk were very helpful.
The two restaurants were closed on the 25th because of the Thanksgiving holiday ( as were many others in the immediate area ).

We strongly disagree with some of the negative reviews.

Quite Satisfactory Bargain Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Awarely

The Windsor provided a renovated studio apartment which was clean and comfortable. The non-smoking floor was just that and the staff was very friendly and helpful. Only one of the three elevators was working at departure and there was a non-childsafe electrical box in the room. However, these were very minor inconveniences. The room had huge closets and kitchenette, which would have been more useful if I had stayed more than one night. The price was right and the location was very good. One minor complaint was the desk chair, which tended to tip over when I leaned in it. High speed internet connection in the room worked like a charm. I had to use a coffee mug in the bathroom since no paper cup provided, but I would not hesitate to stay there again. Oh, one more thing: If you use the adjacent parking garage, check the time ticket when you check in--mine read two hours earlier than my actual check-in time, and I needed the full 24 hours. (You pay on a 24 hour clock) Had I not noticed the clock error at check in, I might have had to pay for an extra day for parking. I was not sure if it was an honest mistake or a trick to give me only 22 hours of parking.

We want a refund

For a Marriot Execustay hotel charging Execustay prices, this place was a huge disappointment. We would have done better at a Motel 6 or Travelodge--at least it would have been cleaner. A night at the Windsor is worth less than half of what you are charged. The bathroom was small and disgusting, with permanent knick marks on the toilet seat, the room was dark, dingy, and musty. There was a kitchen, but it wasn't clean--the counter had the remains of dirt on it--and the entire stay we kept expecting to see a mouse or a roach crawl out of the woodwork. We strongly recommend that anyone considering staying at the Windsor reconsider.

Not planning to go back

by TripAdvisor Member DCtripster

After really enjoying a stay here a couple years ago, my boyfriend and I decided to stay here for 2 nights from March 18-20. This time, we were not very pleased. Our biggest complaints revolve around the bathroom. When we first checked in, there was a used washcloth and hairs all over the bathtub. Also, the sink, toilet, and bathtub were all backed up, or at least EXTREMELY slow to drain. This made using the sink and taking a shower disgusting. Also, perhaps this is a bit too vulgar for an online post, but the toilet was so bad that it stopped up (without good reason I might say) and we embarrassingly had to call the front desk to come and fix it (to their credit, they did send someone up quite fast and were very nice about it.)
the bathroom in this room was old, dingy and cracked looking. i think the one we stayed in during our previous visit was nicer and had been remodeled.
also, when we checked in, there was a thick smell of smoke and ashes in the ashtray on the counter, which was also dirty (we are non-smokers and can't stand smoke).
we parked in the garage next-door for 2 nights, resulting in a hefty charge of $40 total ($20 per night, i think it came out to $44 with some fees). the valet staff burn rubber and act like they are in the indianapolis 500 when they bring your car down. nevertheless, when we checked out a little before noon on sunday, there was a crowd of people all waiting for their cars to be brought down, most all of them unhappy with how they or their cars had been treated. (another warning: when we had temporarily parked around the block on March 19, with our meter paid up until almost the 8:00 p.m. free parking time, we were issued a $20 ticket when we went back to the car just a few minutes late. of course this is our fault, just a warning that you should be careful and strictly abide by the parking regulations. parking around the hotel is also extremely difficult to find.)
of secondary importance, our view was not that great this time- we overlooked an industrial-looking roof and some construction. last time we had a great view of ben franklin parkway.
to their credit, the staff at Hotel Windsor were very pleasant and accomodating. However, for our next visit to Philly, we will be looking for suburban accomodation that is inexpensive and has free parking. we no longer feel it is worthwhile to stay at Hotel Windsor.

Beware of Spring and Fall

by TripAdvisor Member IthacaGuy

One problem with the Windsor: heating/cooling. The building is old and the heating/cooling system is set building-wide one way or the other. When we arrived we found (after freezing the first night) that the building had been set to air-conditioning a week ago, but the nighttime temperatures outside were currently 30's to 40's. So we got cold; I ended up moving to my younger son's bed so he would stay warm enough, as we hadn't been offered extra blankets when we checked in and hadn't realized (until the middle of the night) that setting the heating units to "heat" was doing nothing. If you're going in Spring or Fall, be aware that their system may not be in synch with the current weather. We were thankful it warmed up for the rest of our stay, and the hotel did provide us with heavier blankets.

That's the downside, and the only one for us. The suites are huge for a city: large living room/kitchenette and the bedroom had two queen beds. The closets were insanely large; these obviously used to be apartments, and indeed the upper floors are apartments still. You could go out on your balcony and look around, which was pleasant. Our requests for more towels, a replacement light bulb, and blankets were promptly answered. Free internet connection was a plus for us (we brought a laptop). The location's fantastic, a block from the (overrated) Four Seasons (unimpressive lobby there, smaller rooms, higher prices). It's two blocks from City Hall, a few blocks from museums, good dining, etc. The PHLASH bus (a public transit tourist bus) stopped next to the hotel, taxis were easily flagged. The continental breakfast is fairly low-end Motel-6ish, but at least it exists.

Great service, old building

We stayed at Hotel Windsor for four days in August. We rented 2 studio rooms (2 families travelling together, with children). The staff were very helpful and responsive. The location is great, just a short walk from a number of museums. The hotel is on the Phlash bus route. The rooms are dated and not that clean. The carpets are quite worn and we saw ants in both rooms. One room smelled of smoke, even though it was a non-smoking room. Bathrooms were small and also dated, also not that clean.
There is an excellent Asian restaurant in the lobby, and a number of breakfast restaurants nearby. There is a Walgreens and a convenience store nearby too. There is a rooftop pool which is quite nice.

Clean and Comfortable

My husband and I stayed at the Windsor Aug 13-15 2005. I must say I was nicely surprised. It was very clean and cozy, I loved the fact that we had a studio, with a little cute kitchen. It was equipped with a stove, microwave, and dishwasher. They even provided us with dishes, cups, and silverware for 2. I also loved the walk-in closets. The location was perfect. We we right in the middle of the city, walking distance from all the museums, shops, resturants, and bars. And a short distance from South St. We had a rent-a-car, but didn't use it that much.

The only complaint we really had was that the parking was pretty expensive, $22.00 per day. And where the parking garage was, it was also right near where they put out their garbage, and it smelled aweful. But it was probably because it was like 95 degrees the entire weekend.

I highly recommend this hotel for long stays or families that might not want to eat out for every meal.

Not coming back...

by TripAdvisor Member BBTripper

I am sitting in the Hotel Windsor right now looking for other hotels. I am also keeping an eye out for rodents and insects. This place looks like it should have them coming out of the woodwork.

The lighting is poor, the wallpaper is torn, and the carpet is dirty and coming apart. There are exposed wires in the closets. The bathroom needs serious work. Tiles have been poorly replaced in the walls, all the porcelain (tub, sink, soap dish, etc.) is chipped, and the toilet seat is falling apart.

The door to the hall actually has a security chain. I thought those had all gone to the hardware store in the sky.

There is a gas stove in the kitchenette, which makes me really uncomfortable. I won't use it because I don't know how, but other guests may not be so cautious.

The best thing about this hotel is its location.

Comments