Courtyard Pittsburgh Waterfront Hotel

401 West Waterfront Drive, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 15120, United States

More about Pittsburgh

St. Benedict the Moor ChurchSt. Benedict the Moor Church

"Go pirates go, Toronto su**s""Go pirates go, Toronto su**s"

The Frick HouseThe Frick House

An eagle at the National AviaryAn eagle at the National Aviary

Can you suggest some accomodation?

by kooka3

I'm going to Pittsburgh at the end of October for a conference -- it's being held at the Wyndham Garden Hotel, University Place, and even though they are offering "conference rates", I"m still hoping to find something cheaper, but nearby. Can anyone offer any good suggestions? I will be driving to Pittsburgh, so I'll have transportation, but I still don't want to be too far away (more than about 5 miles or so) because I don't know how early/late I"ll have to be at the conference. Thanks!

RE: Can you suggest some accomodation?

by ladyfisher

The Hampton Inn is near the Wyndham and the rates are cheaper. Not much in that area within 5 miles .If you do book else where compare parking rates at the garages around where the conference is some can be very high as much as 10 a hour some cheaper.Driving into downtown can be nightmare Pittsburgh is a maze of oneway streets, bridges and tunnels very easy to get lost and traffic can be grid lock at peak times esp. on Forbes.

RE: Can you suggest some accomodation?

by MBDVB

There are plenty of places for you to stay... what are your dates, and what is your budgeted amounts?

Travel Tips for Pittsburgh

next time, go with the German

by richiecdisc

Since we would be staying with friends, we wanted to take them out for dinner but the brewery I wanted most to visit, The Church Brew Works, was quite pricey. As chance would have it, our friends wanted to take us out for dinner, to one of my favorite US lager producers, Penn Brewing. It was a tough choice for me as I had always wanted to go to The Church Brew Works and their beers are not available outside of the brewpub. Penn Brewing beers, on the other hand, are readily available even in my home state of Florida. Since going to both brewpubs would have been greedy on my part and they insisted on taking us to dinner, we went with their second choice, Primanti Brothers. This great Pittsburgh institution is the best pizza parlor in town. We are lucky to have two of them in our native hometown of Fort Lauderdale, the only place outside of Pittsburgh to have any outposts.

The evening went really well and we hit if off grandly even though D had only met my old friends once at a wedding a few years earlier. Unfortunately, my buddy from high school is a pilot and was flying that night so could not have a beer and had to leave after dinner but his wife was more than happy to drive us to The Church Brew Works. This brewpub turned out to be disappointing and we actually passed by Penn Brewing with a sign for its Oktoberfest. Our friend explained it's the best time of year to visit the brewery and if there fine Germanic beers are any indication, I'm sure the food is great, hardy, and they put on a great Fest. I silently kicked myself for not choosing the old standby rather than exploring new uncharted territory. She offered to stop in for a beer but I knew I had pushed the limits of my beer loving as far as I could or should with my very understanding wife. But next time, I go with the tried and true. I go with Penn Brewing. I go with the German. After all, that's who I came with

Pittsburghese

by VeronicaG

Since most people comment on this peculiar trait of Pittsburgers, I could not do a page on this area without commenting, as well.

There are some individuals from this area who sometimes speak a slangy dialect referred to as Pittsburghese.

First, you have to understand that Pittsburgh is made up of various nationalities, such as Scotch-Irish, Central and Eastern Europeans and German for the most part. My family originated from Poland. Some think it's this combination that contributes to our quirky language.

Pittsburghese contains such slang as "yunz" or "yinz" which can be compared to the Texan "you-all". Other common slang: dahntann (downtown); red up (clear the table). A booklet has even been published containing typical words used in the area, which leaves Pittsburghers in stitches!

Packing List

by CandyBear

Any bag you want but I suggest one with a look on it! Your own toilet paper and a lot of sanatizing soap! Hotal A map because you would need it if you go to pittsburg because it's easy to get lost in Pittsburg.

Site of Three Rivers Stadium

by Ewingjr98

Three Rivers Stadiumk was home to both the Pirates and Steelers from its completion in 1970 until its demolition in 2001. The stadium only survived 31 sports seasons, but it was home to many great games and 6 championship teams. The stadium only cost $55 million to build, meaning that its construction costs averaged out to $1.7 million a year over the life of the venue. For comparison, Dallas Cowboys' new $1.3 billion stadium would have to remain in use for almost 765 years to have the same average cost per year.

All that remains of three Rivers Stadium are the original sign post marking the former Gate D entrance and a historic marker next to Heinz Field that reads:

Three Rivers Stadium

Opened in July 16, 1970. Home to the
Pirates, who won two World Series, and the
Steelers, who won four Super Bowl Cham-
pionships, creating Pittsburgh's "City of
Champions" identity. It was the site of
Roberto Clemente's 3,000th hit, September
30, 1972, and Franco Harris's legendary
"Immaculate Reception," December 23, 1972.
A multi-use facility, it also hosted many
concerts and special events prior to demo-
lition on February 11, 2001.

Pennsylvania Historic and Museum Commission 2006.

Forbes Field Site -- former home of the Pirates

by Ewingjr98

Check out the former location of Forbes Field, now located on the University of Pittsburgh campus. Home plate still sits in its original location, enclosed under plexiglas in the main hallway in Posvar Hall (formerly known as the "Forbes Quadrangle"). This building is just across the street from the Cathedral of Learning.

Inside Posvar take a look at the home plate that was actually used in the final game as well as the famous print from Life magazine of the students watching the World Series from the top of the Cathedral of Learning (the print is framed with a letter signed by Bill Mazeroski).

Just in front of Posvar Hall you call follow the line of the old left field wall--now just a double row of red brick--and see the plaque marking the exact spot where Mazeroski's home run left the park in game 7 to win the series over the still-hated Yankees.

Around the side of Posvar is Roberto Clemente Drive and a stretch of the original Forbes Field left-center field wall. A sign at this location reads,

"FORBES FIELD -- The first all steel and concrete ballpark in the nation, Forbes Field was home to the Pirates, site of four World Series in 1909, 1925, 1927, & 1960 and two All-Star games. Hosted the Homestead Grays, Steelers, and Pitt Panthers, as well as political rallies and boxing matches. Site of Bill Mazeroski's game seven, ninth inning, World Series winning home run on October 13, 1960 and Babe Ruth's last 3 home runs. Damaged by fire, razed 1972."

Other historical baseball sites in the Pittsburgh area include the site of Three Rivers Stadium and Exhibition Park on the North Shore, the Pittsburgh Crawfords' former home in the Hill District, the Western PA Sports Museum in the Strip District, Josh Gibson's gravesite in Lawrenceville, Honus Wagner's birthplace in Carnegie, and finally Donora--birthplace of Ken Griffey, Sr, Ken Griffey, Jr, and Stan Musial.

Comments