Hilton Pittsburgh

600 Commonwealth Place, Gateway Ctr, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 15222, United States

Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown
Hotels.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown

he Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, formerly the Hilton Pittsburgh, has perhaps the best location in Pittsburgh. Located right next to Point State Park, the hotel has views of Mount Washington, the Point, and Heinz Field. Stay here if attending the Three Rivers Regatta, a Steelers game, or a Pirates game, and you will have a short walk of just minutes. Even walking to the Penguins home at Consol Energy Center will only take 20 minutes or so; less if you take the subway called the T.

The 712-room hotel recently underwent a $30 million interior renovation, and is in the process of getting a huge new atrium. This is Pittsburgh's largest hotel and has very small rooms, but lots of amenities. The Wyndham was a Hilton from 1959 until September 2010 when lawsuits and massive debt forces Hilton to drop the property. In late 2010 the hotel became a Wyndham Grand Hotel and will be upgraded to 4-star status.

I stayed here in December 2010 when I was in town for a Steelers game. Rooms listed for around $160-$200 a night, but I got the room on Hotwire for $93 + taxes and fees.

• JamalMorelli's Profile Photo

It's A Hilton

The thing that we like about chains is the lack of surprise, character, inventiveness. Hilton satisifies here. And the PGH Hilton more so. Aside from the fountains and giant bar, it has a funeral home feel. Stayed here for two nights for fun... and had it - outside the hotel.

• save on parking at the hilton towers

Did Priceline and the hotel gave us a great room with a view. The parking charges were excessive. $25 for valet parking if you wanted in and out privileges. (you do). You will need your car for sightseeing but leave off your luggage and go use a street meter then at night after 4 p.m. the parking at an outdoor lot one block away is $4.00. No need to spend $17.00 for dead storage overnight at the hotel or elsewhere.

Unique Quality: great view, but staff was not very familiar with the city. No one knew where the tourist office was--it is two blocks away and no one had a city guide of Pittsburgh.

Directions: It is right downtown on the tip of land that juts into the rivers

• alsport's Profile Photo

Downtown location

Everything was satisfactory for the most part. Midway through my stay, I found out that my room had mysteriously been changed. Turns out, my belongings were still in my original room and I was allowed to stay there.
    The hotel is downtown and located close to everything. Walking distance to restaurants, clubs, stadiums, etc.

Directions: Where the three rivers meet.

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo

Hilton Pittsburgh

Great location, average quality for a Hilton.

Unique Quality: Located as close as you can possibly get to Fort Pitt and the confluence of the three rivers.

Directions: Coming from the Airport, it's one of the first things you see as you pop out of the Fort Pitt tunnel on I-267

More about Hilton Pittsburgh

Adequate at best

by TripAdvisor Member toltecs

I stayed in the Hilton Pittsburgh at 600 Commonwealth Place for a recent business trip. I came to town for a conference at the convention center, and this hotel was listed as an alternate location for the group rate. First, it is about a 10 block walk to the convention center that takes 10-15 minutes so it is not the most convenient hotel for conventions.

The hotel itself looks a little dated overall outside and in the common areas. The room looks more modern, but the bathroom leaves something to be desired and looks pretty aged. The shower head was terrible and the "hot" water was not really all that hot. They do provide wireless internet access in both the rooms and the lobby for $10 per day. Compared to other hotels I have stayed in with this amenity, the wireless at the Hilton worked very well.

Overall, this hotel is adequate, I guess. However, for a base rate of $140+, I would look and see what other options you can find. Based upon my perception of the "Hilton" brand, I expected more from the hotel. On another note, I also visited the Westin at the convention center and found it to be substantially nicer with an internet price of approximately $170. If the difference in money is not a big deal to you, I would highly recommend you stay there instead of the Hilton.

Made Reservations a Month in Advance & They Gave Away Our Room

I made a reservation through AAA for Dec. 31st through Jan. 3rd. This hotel does have a great location (I was in Pittsburgh to see the Steelers play against the Lions on Jan 1st) but this was the worst experience I have ever encountered with hotel management. I called that same day to report a late check in, we go to the hotel around 9:30pm because our flight from Detroit to Pittsburgh was seriously delayed. I go to check in and the lady tells me there's no more rooms available. I told her I made reservations a month in advance, and called TWICE to speak with two different people from within the reservations department and they told me the room was confirmed. She was incoherent, rude, and simply the worst candidate to be standing at the front desk of that hotel and tell me that I was wrong in this scenario. There was a 20 minute exchange of how unethical it was for them to put their customers through this. In addition I had another couple standing next to me which the same scenario happened to them that night as well. I demanded that she tell me the hotel policy on how and why reservations made within a big time period suddenly be unavailable. I demanded that they set me up with a room because I wasn't leaving. I took two flights, traveled all day and to come to this hotel NEW YEARS EVE and for them to tell me my room was given away was UNACCEPTABLE. They ended up accomadating us at their "sister hotel" which is Embassy Suites and paying for that night. She also wanted us to come back the next two nights and pay $200 per night when I initially made the reservations for $169. So we ended up staying at the Embassy Suites which was fabulous. Clean, tidy, spacious suites and the staff was very welcoming and friendly. We ended up cancelling the next two nights with the Hilton and stayed at the Embassy Suites.

I don't recommend this hotel to anyone. Their staff does not know how to deal with their customers and the hotel's practice concerning reservations is unethical and should not be allowed.

Perfectly acceptable

by TripAdvisor Member CGibson

Stayed for three nights in August with girlfriend to see Pirates-Dodgers games. First time visitor to Pitt so wanted something close to action since was not renting car. Pleased overall with choice.

Location - Across from historical park where three rivers meet. Hotel is at the edge of downtown and within walking distance of shopping areas but admittedly nothing else is really close by. About a 10 minute walk to bridge which takes you across the river to PNC Park. Good for those without car since hotel is on airport shuttle and tour bus stops. Good for those going to ball games but not good for those seeking nightlife. Felt perfectly safe walking around day or night.

Room - Hotel is older but room size was adequate for two people. As a HHonors member I received my request for King N/S and high floor but was strangely given a handicap room. This meant concrete walls and floors in bathroom and lighted switches and extra peepholes in door. As a result, it felt like a high school locker room in the bathroom and a planetarium at night. Bedding and furnishings were nice.

Staff - strangely lazy and slow at check in for no apparent reason. Standing in HHonors line made no difference. Gift shop attendant was funny, told us almost immediately "y'all going to hate Pittsburgh". Restaurant and housekeeping staff were pleasant.

Amenities - Restaurant was used one night for dinner and for all breakfasts as part of package. Nothing special but not bad either. For late arrivers, not much choice since no restaurants nearby really. Spacious lobby, also has sports bar as well.

Price - paid about $130/nite on Hilton site which included breakfast for Bounceback Weekend. As a rule, I always book through hotel and always sign up for membership since they will usually stiff the prepaid crowd first or give them the crummy rooms.

All in all worked out fine but would probably try someplace else in the future. This Hilton is not old enough to be considered a classic and not new enough to feel fresh and modern.

Noisy!

The company I work for has us stay at this hotel. It is by far, one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in. Two weekends in a row resulted in little or no sleep because of noisy, partying guests. Security seems unable to keep this under control. We have to return two more times this month, and am NOT looking forward to my stay there.

Comments