530 William Penn Place, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 15219, United States

FatesWarn's Profile Photo

Quality Service in an 'Old New York Style' Setting

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 15, 2015

I have been staying at this hotel for over 10 years; I typically stay there once or twice a year - once in the fall and sometimes (Steelers willing) in January.
The service is beyond compare for Pittsburgh. I have stayed at all the legacy brand properties in the downtown region and have never been treated as well as the Omni William Penn. I recall one year when I was up all night with a stomach bug (that had NOTHING to do with the hotel) and facing a 5-hour drive home in the morning. I called room service in the morning and requested the requisite ginger ale and dry toast to try to get myself feeling normal - the room service agent immediately reacted to my request and asked if I was feeling sick. She then told me that she would send up the order in a minute and they would leave it outside my door for me at no charge. It was just the sweetest gesture and has never been forgotten.
My most recent stay earlier this month had no drama to recall, but the quality of the service is still at the top. I can't say the same about the service at their breakfast restaurant - the food is excellent, but the service is consistently terrible. The Tap Room pub has very friendly service, but they are horribly slow (we bypassed the pub and ordered the same food from room service this time around - realizing after it was delivered that the room service orders are probably trumping the orders from the bar for service from the kitchen).
If you need to get around downtown, the subway (T) station is right across the street from the William Penn, the Consol Energy Center (arena) is within walking distance; Heinz Field and PNC Park are within walking distance for most.

Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 16, 2009

Another night in Pittsburgh another Priceline bargain on a four-star hotel in the center of the city! This time we came to Pittsburgh for the 2009 Pittsburgh Penguins Stanley Cup Victory Parade in June. We knew the city would be busy with the police expecting some 350,000 attendees for the parade, so we looked online and rooms all over downtown were at least $200, more like $260 at the Omni William Penn. So we got on Priceline.com and voila! A room at this fine and historic hotel for just $60 plus taxes and fees ($75 total)!

We arrived the next night around 8pm and parked in the Mellon Square garage right outside the front door of the hotel for just $14 per 24 hours (as compared to the hotel's rate of $26 a night). The check-in was quick and friendly, and we soon made our way to our 14th floor room, which was on the 15th floor since this superstitious building skipped the 13th floor. Our room was small, but very clean, modern, and comfortable, and with nice views of the Civic Arena and the new Penguins Arena, still under construction.

We also had a few beers at the Penn Brewery Tap Room and a Bruegger's Bagels, both located on the first floor of the hotel. The next day, we were able to watch the parade on Grant Avenue, right out the back door of the hotel.

The William Penn was constructed in 1916 by Henry Frick who built his fortune in Pittsburgh's steel industry. When completed, and for many years after, it was the largest hotel between New York and Chicago.

mrossiter's Profile Photo

Great Luxury & Accommodations

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 20, 2007

I was there for only one night, they upgraded our room. We left a garment bag in the room, they communicated with me directly and I was able to have a relative pick it up for us. Excellent service! Excellent Location!! Star Treatment.

Directions: Heart of Downtown

Old and Musty (the hotel and the city)

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 3, 2006

Once a grand hotel managed by Westin, it has declined over the two decades that I have known it much the way that Pittburgh has (minus the modest and futile attempts at resurgance). The lobby sure gives off the old-world feel, but it smells that way too. The rooms are so old it feels like central casting selected the place for a horror movie or a collection of 'grandparents rooms'

Unique Quality: The lobby and the building itself has good artitectural bones. Nice to look at (from afar).

Imagine being at a Four Seasons hotel having a grand time at one of their sumptous breakfasts. Now take that down two notches.

Did I mention no wireless broadband (for a *long* time, no broadband whatsoever--verify for your room)?

Directions: central downtown (socially, a deadspace)

yooperprof's Profile Photo

Sets a Standard for Pittsburgh

by written on January 21, 2004

Haven't stayed here, but I can vouch that it's a good place to meet for afternoon tea in the lobby, or to have drinks after the symphony.

Directions: heart of downtown

• Free High Speed Internet
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Pittsburgh Travel Forum

Need advice about Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania? Visit the Travel Forum for Pittsburgh and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Pittsburgh hotel reviews

LuLu's Noodle Shop and Yum Wok
Good Variety & Inexpensive
Just Ducky Tours
Things to Do
I'm interested in birds so this was heaven for me
Things to Do
Randyland is colorful and quirky and by donation
Things to Do
april too early for butterflies
too early for butterflies
Things to Do
Happened by and stopped to check it out
PPG looked like a huge Glass Castle
Things to Do
It's Like Cold Stone for WAFFLES!
Penguins Game
Things to Do
Best Beer Selection in Town!
Steelers Game
The Duquesne Incline ~ History - Part I
Carnegie Library
Carnegie Natural Science Museum
Over-clap clap clap--rated
Restaurants
city UN"neighborhoods" or simply hoods to avoid
Warnings and Dangers
George Washington's "Point of View"
Light Rail System
Walk Along the Monongahela River Bank
Monongahela Incline
Dog Walking Point State Park
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh Zoo
Fort Pitt Museum
Things to Do
South Side dont be a mark.
Warnings and Dangers