530 William Penn Place, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 15219, United States

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Omni William Penn Hotel

Another night in Pittsburgh another Priceline bargain on a four-star hotel in the center of the city! This time we came to Pittsburgh for the 2009 Pittsburgh Penguins Stanley Cup Victory Parade in June. We knew the city would be busy with the police expecting some 350,000 attendees for the parade, so we looked online and rooms all over downtown were at least $200, more like $260 at the Omni William Penn. So we got on Priceline.com and voila! A room at this fine and historic hotel for just $60 plus taxes and fees ($75 total)!

We arrived the next night around 8pm and parked in the Mellon Square garage right outside the front door of the hotel for just $14 per 24 hours (as compared to the hotel's rate of $26 a night). The check-in was quick and friendly, and we soon made our way to our 14th floor room, which was on the 15th floor since this superstitious building skipped the 13th floor. Our room was small, but very clean, modern, and comfortable, and with nice views of the Civic Arena and the new Penguins Arena, still under construction.

We also had a few beers at the Penn Brewery Tap Room and a Bruegger's Bagels, both located on the first floor of the hotel. The next day, we were able to watch the parade on Grant Avenue, right out the back door of the hotel.

The William Penn was constructed in 1916 by Henry Frick who built his fortune in Pittsburgh's steel industry. When completed, and for many years after, it was the largest hotel between New York and Chicago.

• mrossiter's Profile Photo

Great Luxury & Accommodations

I was there for only one night, they upgraded our room. We left a garment bag in the room, they communicated with me directly and I was able to have a relative pick it up for us. Excellent service! Excellent Location!! Star Treatment.

Directions: Heart of Downtown

• Old and Musty (the hotel and the city)

Once a grand hotel managed by Westin, it has declined over the two decades that I have known it much the way that Pittburgh has (minus the modest and futile attempts at resurgance). The lobby sure gives off the old-world feel, but it smells that way too. The rooms are so old it feels like central casting selected the place for a horror movie or a collection of 'grandparents rooms'

Unique Quality: The lobby and the building itself has good artitectural bones. Nice to look at (from afar).

Imagine being at a Four Seasons hotel having a grand time at one of their sumptous breakfasts. Now take that down two notches.

Did I mention no wireless broadband (for a *long* time, no broadband whatsoever--verify for your room)?

Directions: central downtown (socially, a deadspace)

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Sets a Standard for Pittsburgh

Haven't stayed here, but I can vouch that it's a good place to meet for afternoon tea in the lobby, or to have drinks after the symphony.

Directions: heart of downtown

More about Omni William Penn Hotel

Brueggers Bagels - Grant Ave, downtown

by Ewingjr98

So here we were in Pittsburgh for the city's biggest celebration in years... maybe ever. The Pittsburgh Penguins had just won the Stanley Cup, so we drove all the way up from Washington DC to celebrate. The parade started around noon at the corner of 7th and Grant; since we spent the previous night at the Omni William Penn Hotel, we decided stay close by this area. Breakfast was an easy choice... Brueggers Bagels is located on the first floor of the hotel, on Grant Street with its big plate-glass windows overlooking the parade route.

We got in the relatively short line and quickly decided on two bottles of water and two egg, and cheese sandwiches on wheat bagels, one with ham and the other with bacon. The bottles of water were reasonably priced despite the parade, and the bagel sandwiches were around $3.

Honestly, though, these are some of the worst bagel sandwiches I've had anywhere. The eggs were pre-cooked then slightly microwaved when we ordered. The bacon was also precooked and just waiting for some sucker like us. The bagel wasn't toasted either, so the cheese didn't even begin to melt.

I guess the only consolation was that I got a full 460 calories from this sandwich, plus 71% of my daily allotment of cholesterol, 41% of my daily allowance of sodium, and 35% of my total fat intake. Healthy and tasty...

Very Nice Hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member gosteelers36

My wife and I recently stayed at the Omni William Penn in Pittsburgh. We both loved it. Everything about the hotel was classy. We enjoyed both dinner and breakfast in the Terrace Room. There's even a 'Starbucks' right in the lobby! We will definitely stay here again!

Classic Elegance

Even though I never stayed in the Omni William Penn, my high school had our Prom here. Needless to say that the setting exceeded my expectations. Just walking into the elegant lobby made me feel like royalty. The main banquet facilities were on the top floor of the hotel, which offered amazing views of downtown Pittsburgh.

The main banquet hall was not the usual banquet hall. It was a two story room complete with huge windows, gold light fixtures and railings, wrap around balcony, elegant detail, and amazing crystal chandeliers.

Our prom also occupied the neighboring room for the dance floor. This room was amazing as well. It had an awesome art deco design complete with an interesting chandelier and mirrored walls.

The food was really good as well. All of those who attended this prom will never forget the amazing experience that the Omni William Penn provided us.

The best hotel I've ever stayed at...

My husband and I have been going to the Omni William Penn every holiday season for 5 years now. It is honestly the best hotel I have ever been to, and I am very picky about hotels! I love the 1920s charm of the hotel,and how everything is decorated like it would have been almost a century ago. The staff is always excellent, I have never experienced a rude or unpleasant employee. The room service is also wonderful, and available 24/7. In-room movies help to make our vacation wonderful! The location of the William Penn is also great because you can walk to many different downtown stores and restaurants, and if you want to avoid high valet parking fees, you can park right across the street in a parking garage that is much cheaper. Overall, this is one hotel that I love to visit, I would pay twice as much to go there because I have always had wonderful experiences. You won't be disappointed!

Great hotel......Awesome Steelers game!

by TripAdvisor Member gjb1208

We stayed at the Omni William Penn for the divisional playoff game against the Jets. We arrived Friday afternoon. We rented a car and drove from the airport. It was VERY simple to find the hotel. We parked in the parking garage on the west side of the hotel. $5 on weekends. (we checked out Mon. morning and total cost was $17).

We walked up to the front of the hotel and there seemed to be a lot going on....news trucks....people....it was crazy. While checking in, I thought I recognized the person standing in front of me, but couldn't really see his face. All of a sudden 2 hotel security guards and what looked like the general manager came up and started falling all over themselves helping this person....who ended up being Joe Namath. That's right, the Jets were staying at the William Penn! Saturday morning Herm Edwards was having a meeting with a couple of his coaches in the lobby. Security roped it off, but it was still way cool...

There were three of us, so we got a double room and rented a roll-away bed. There was plenty of room. Nice hotel, clean, great service. Close to everything. We walked to the game Saturday, took cabs to south side and the strip district, cost approx. $8 with tip.

I will definitely be staying here again. The best part of the weekend......STEELERS WON!

Best of the 'Burgh

I have stayed at nearly all of the top hotels in downtown, and this one was the best! Beautiful rooms, mine overlooked the rest of downtown and the Point, and well-located in the middle of downtown's shopping district with only a short walk to the theater district and to the North Side for the stadiums. It is a great place to stay to explore Pittsburgh.

Parking is not free, but a parking garage immediately across the street is worth parking yourself in. Valet service is $25 a night, I paid $5 by parking myself. And you can book this hotel on Hotwire for well under the rack rate. With fees, I paid $93. And they were very accomodating with my early check-in request.

I found the staff to be very friendly, professional and helpful. The only complaint I had was the lounge. The Tap Room is scheduled to close at 11:30. The night I stayed I attended a night football game at Heinz Field and was thirsty afterward. Luckily, they remained open until 1:30, but they began turning people at 12:30, when they gave last call. I saw more than a few unhappy faces exit the lounge.

Overall, an excellent experience. I reccommend it to everyone.

Pittsburgh's William Penn HotelPittsburgh's William Penn Hotel