614 Pressley St, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 15212, United States

The Priory Hotel
Hotels.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

• Lovely Euro-style Hotel

Our stay at the Priory was not under the best of circumstances. Our daughter was in an accident and taken to nearby Allegheny General Hospital for trauma care. This hotel is a few blocks from the hospital, and we were able to relax in between visitations. Our suite was immaculately clean and beautifully decorated. We especially enjoyed the peaceful courtyard and soothing, bubbling fountain. The breakfast pasteries were delicious, and my husband was happy because they had hard-boiled eggs! We could not have been more pleased with the staff and accomodations at this hotel.

Directions: Deutchtown Area of Pittsburgh's North Side

• mtncorg's Profile Photo

HOTEL WITH A PAST

The rooms are a nice change from normal hotel fare. There is a nice garden courtyard where you can hang out and listen to the fountain waters while contemplating the stained glass windows of the neighboring Grand Hall. The front desk staff were quite pleasant and knowledgeable. WiFi throughout and a guest computer with internet access for those without their laptops. Add to all that the great location - you can walk anywhere on the North Shore - National Aviary, Children’s Museum, Pirate or Steeler games, Science Museum, Penn Brewery - or cross one of the Three Sister bridges and you are right smack in the center of Pittsburgh’s Golden Triangle.

Unique Quality: St Mary’s Parish constructed the neighboring church in 1852 and the Priory was added in 1888 to serve as a home for Benedictine priests serving the Parish. The church had originally been built without windows because of concerns regarding the potential activities of local partisans of the American Party - the ‘Know Nothings’ - during the 1850’s. The stained glass windows - of Austrian origin - were added in 1912. The complex was closed in 1981 and was to be taken down with the construction of I-279. The church was saved when the freeway was moved 40 yards to the east and the church complex was brought by the family of its present owners in 1984. The Priory was rehabilitated and opened as a 24 room hotel in 1986. The church has re-opened as the Grand Hall serving as one of Pittsburgh’s most distinctive meeting and banquet facilities.

• charming getaway

hope to return soon to this quaint and charming inn.our room had a wonderful view of the courtyard.the included breakfast the next morning was very nice.we would recommmend this inn to anyone looking for a special getaway.

More about The Priory Hotel Pittsburgh

An alternative hotel experience for a good price

by TripAdvisor Member SunnyInCleveland

We stayed at The Priory recently with their Romance Package - sparkling wine and pastries and chocolates with a dozen roses and the option of receiving breakfast in your room.

The room was lovely with antiques and a bay window letting in natural light. The bathroom was clean. Overall, it was a Sunday night so it was very quiet in the hotel. Next time I'd bring a noise machine to help me sleep better. I'm used to white noise at home, and at The Priory, it was so quiet I could hear the pipes creaking. Knowing this and preparing for it next time, I would still stay here again.

We intended to eat at the Penn Brewery, but it was closed. At the suggestion of the front desk, we went a few blocks over to Max's Allegheny Tavern, which was a nice choice to sample authentic Pittsburgh fare.

Once we got back to the hotel, we walked down to the basement to see the executive room. It feels like a nice home office with a personal desk and computer.

In the morning, we decided to eat breakfast in the dining room, which was beautifully appointed (see picture). Muffins, hardboiled eggs, fresh fruit, etc. Plenty of healthy choices to fill you up.

I liked the location - on the north side, near the aviary and a few other sightseeing attractions. It was nice to have a free parking lot at the hotel.

The hotel was originally a monastery and was only turned into a hotel in the 1980s I believe. Overall, it was romantic and a great alternative to your standard hotel experience for a fair price if you will be staying in Pittsburgh.

Loved The Priory

Our stay at the Priory was a nearly perfect hotel experience. The decor and atmosphere was excellent. The location of the Priory is very convenient. It is within a 10 minute drive to all of the south end restaurants and 5 minutes from downtown. Most importantly, the staff was incredible. The evening concierge/front desk agent gave us dinner recommendations, chatted with us in the drawing room and overall made us feel more like we were staying a friend's house than staying at a hotel. I highly recommend the Priory to anyone who is traveling to Pittsburgh or Western Pennsylvania.

A Rare Unique Find!

by TripAdvisor Member WatersEdge

For me, a hotel ALWAYS equals a swimming pool. So I was more than a little hesitant when my husband booked a room at the Priory for our Pittsburgh getaway. Boy, did I learn a few things! In the end, I never missed the pool for one moment.

The Priory is incredible. Nestled in a quaint old brick community, the history abounds here. The Inn is lovely, a converted Benedictine monestary. Be sure to see the church attached (now converted also). The staff couldn't be more hospitable. A tray of fruit, pastry, and chocolates were waiting in our room. When our schedule didn't match their evening refreshments, wine and snacks were brought to the room early for us. The room was spacious and the bed very comfortable ...extra pillows! Private bath roomy and well appointed. We loved their soap! Antiques were beautiful. I highly recommend rooms that face the COURTYARD ...we were on the third floor and enjoyed the hightened view. (no elevator, but no problem for us)

The Inn is lovely, we really enjoyed roaming the different rooms, library, sitting areas etc. Breakfast was quite good, including a hot dish. More food than we could ever need.

And to top it off .... very convenient location to anything Pittsburgh! Be sure to check out the Priory Bakery nearby ...delicious! We bought beautiful notecards of the Priory upon checkout.

Treat yourself to a unique experience ...you can stay at an "average hotel" any time.

Comfy at the Priory

Our stay at the Priory in December '05 was enjoyable. The location was great; the room was clean and inviting; the breakfasts were fine. More selection there would be appreciated. The only drawback of these accommodations was that the sofa bed was lumpy and very uncomfortable.

We would certainly make another booking there and have already recommended it to friends and family.

Wonderful Experience!

My husband and I stayed at the Priory for 2 nights on vacation. We had never been to Pittsburgh before and picked the hotel because of location, just a few blocks from PNC Park (Pirates). We love historic hotels and try to stay in them when we can. The Priory's location can't be beat--just a few blocks from both sports stadiums and the Warhol Museum, lots of good restaurants around (we loved the German food at Max's Allegheny Tavern, just a few minutes walk away), and downtown is just over the bridge. The hotel was beautiful. An excellent restoration job. Rooms were very comfortable, bathroom pipes a bit creaky, but worked fine. The staff was outstanding! Very hospitable, with many helpful suggestions. Free parking across the street. While it's near the railroad tracks and our room faced the street, we found it very quiet on the Friday and Saturday nights we stayed there. An overall wonderful experience.

Not My 1st Choice

by TripAdvisor Member melieux

My husband & I stayed here for one night & attended an event at The Grand Hall next door. The inn is lovely. We enjoyed relaxing in the parlour with a glass of wine & wandering through the building. However, the Inn at Mexican War Streets beats the Priory in service, value, decor, character, ambience . . . every possible category. If you're considering a bed & breakfast on the North Shore - or anywhere in Pittsburgh - I would absolutely recommend the Inn at Mexican War Streets first. By the way, the Grand Hall at the Priory is beautiful, the food was delicious & the service was great, but the facility was freeeeeezing, even with space heaters set up in the entrance. This would be a good choice for a large, elegant event in the more temperate months.

Priory Pittsburgh - History and Charm

by TripAdvisor Member Bill_M_Toronto

Stayed w my wife for 3 days in mid August/06

Cons:
- one of our room's a/c's was not working and not repaired after we complained
- hotel is in a bit of a dodgy neighbourhood - don't go there if you can't handle poverty in an American big city
- bed springs creak - you can hear your neighbours

Pros:
- Hotel staff: very helpful and knowledgeable
- super location for drivers - right beside hwy 279 with 3 minute access to downtown, sports facilities, Southside, and Strip District
- heritage property - rich in history and charm - if you like Victorian English, this is the place for you
- nice courtyard you can take breakfast in
- European style boutique hotel

Comments