Wyndham Pittsburgh University Place

Orbitz.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• jls274's Profile Photo

Avoid the Wyndham

My in-laws stayed here on a visit along with most of my husbands family and all of the rooms were small, poorly maintained, and not particularly clean. For an expensive place, it was pretty awful.

• davecallahan's Profile Photo

Convenience to hospital

In 2001, I had to go to the Presbyterian Hospital adjacent to the University of Pittsburgh.
    AAA recommended the Wyndham Hotel because of its convenience to the hospital and because they offered reduced rates for families with members scheduled for hospital stays.

It is more upscale than I would normally pick; has valet parking and baggage handlers and a concierge for tours. The rooms were large and the accomodations clean. There were flower stands and artwork in the hallways outside of the rooms. A bit too plush for my likings but I can see how people would enjoy the ambiance.

The free continental breakfast was cold items (except for the coffee) or you could order a full breakfast for a reasonable price (around $5).

Although our stay was not the most pleasant experience (because of the hospital business, not because of the hotel), the staff seemed to have been specially picked to be empathetic to persons having to deal with the hospital.

Directions: Oakland area, Orange district, US22 exits 2 and 3

More about Wyndham Pittsburgh University Place

Convenient and friendly

by TripAdvisor Member SDtoPA

We had to live in a hotel for our first week of school at CMU and are glad we found the Wyndham Garden, as most other places were booked solid. The rooms at the Wyndham Garden were nothing to write home about - just your average hotel room - but the location can't be beat for those who want to be near CMU or Pitt. The free shuttle can drop you off at the school and a bus line runs right past the hotel up Forbes.

The staff is very friendly and the hotel allows pets for an additional $10 a night. Parking is a bit steep at $16 a day, but since parking is so limited in the area, we had to take it (at least it was valet). The hotel also offers free WiFi in their lobby, although you have to pay for the wired service in your room.

OK but inconsistent service. Exercise Room open at 6:00 and no earlier

by TripAdvisor Member Magabi

I have stayed at the Wyndham 5 times in the last 3 months. We have stayed here because of convenience to UPMC hospital(s). It is also convenient to Pitt and CMU. I have always found my room to be clean with nice bedding. The rooms vary and some are small. On most visits we had a front room overlooking the main road (5th ave?) and noise was not an issue. On all visits we stayed one night and checked out in the morning. In this scenario we did offstreet parking 4 times and paid for valet this last visit. I would not recommend valet. We called down to have the car brought around and were told we needed to come down to the desk to give them our parking stub?? On the 4 times that we parked we ALWAYS found a (well lit) metered parking spot by making an immediate right after the hotel. It looks like a driveway/allow. It comes out by the parking lot of CVS. We would make another right onto this side road and park at a meter. The CVS is open 24/7 and provides pretty good lighting. One MAJOR gripe I have is the excercise room does not open until 6:00 and has a regular keyed lock so your room card will not work. Someone came up with the idea of putting the excercise room on a middle floor (4th?) and because of the noise they will only open it after 6:00. We have to be at the hospital by 7:00 so this does not work for me and they make no exceptions.

I have consistently gotten the Wyndham from my bid on priceline (when I include Oakland). Next time I am going to stick to downtown Pittsburgh and drive into Oakland simply because I am tired of the Wynham. In this scenario I will most likely get the Marriot for the same price.

good value, not luxurious

by TripAdvisor Member highstandardsnc

My daughter and I stayed one night to check out U of Pitt and Carnegie Mellonand it was in a perfect location to do both.The room was not ready quite in time, but they held our bags while we explored Pittsburgh. The first room was fine,attractive,comfortable, but then we found the toilet leaked and called and they offered a new room which we took ( along with two breakfast vouchers for the inconvenience which was nice of them to offer). The buffet breakfast with omelets, hot oatmeal,fruit ,etc was good.
In the second room, we were awakened by two men arguing next door at 3 in the morning ,and then by loud knocking at our door- it was the Piittsburgh police thinking we were noisy and asking us to quiet down- everythng was resolved without further incident( or further restitution).
The shuttle is so marvelous that we took it to six places in a 3 mile radius,much better than a cab or bus.Leaves hotel every half hour.and then picks you up when you call.The airport shuttle at 24 dollars is good for one person, but since a cab is $45 with tip, the airport shuttle is not a good deal for two people.
I got the room for 100 dollars on the net,,AAA rate,and for that price which includes the shuttle,I would return.

Perfect locaton, friendly staff

by TripAdvisor Member dentalhy

Got a great deal through Priceline.com. We needed something near the hospital while visiting family. We were able to park on the street (had a parking pass from the hospital).

The room was simple, but very clean. There were two adults and one teen in the room. We wound up with a king size bed, so we had brought a twin air mattress and our own bedding in case that happened (through Priceline). The bed was very comfortable.

The heating system was a bit problematic. It was so cold outside, when we first got to the room it was freezing. We put it in the low heat mode, when we returned that night, it was like a sauna. It was hard to regulate the heat (register/radiator at the window), not a true thermosat. I had to turn the unit off in the middle of the night, (ahhh....quiet!), but then it got too cold.

The bathroom was small, the tub needed some attention, the paint/expoy is peeling. But the rest of the room was very well maintained and up to date.

We didn't use any amenities other than having a drink at the bar. The bartender was friendly and attentive.

There is a plethora of restaurants in the area, walking distance too. Q-doba, McDonalds, coffee shops, etc. We weren't there long enough to explore more than the main drag.

decent hotel

by TripAdvisor Member businesstraveller2

i stayed on the executive floor which had a view and bathrobes.
If I had wanted to shoot a game of pool I could have done that as well. There was a reading room on the floor but no real reason to use it. Room was decent. Staff was reasonably helpful.
No gift shop so I had to buy water from the vending machine, which worked fine. Used the free hotel shuttle to get to my morning meetings at Carnegie-Mellon. The second day the shuttle
was busy and it left 15 minutes late.

Not what you expect from Wyndham, but functional

by TripAdvisor Member mcguillicudy

I have stayed at many Wyndham's across the U.S. and I was a bit disappointed in this one. I was in town for training. I will have to say that the staff was very pleasant when I finally arrived at 1130 pm. The lobby is dank and in need of updating. My room was dirty upon arrival, but it was so late, I didn't care. The curtains were very old and needed replacing, the carpet had a couple of holes. Overall, this poor hotel needs a facelift. A co-worker of mine had stayed there just a month or so previous and lost tv service, then hotwater and finally all power went out. Staff is overall very helpful. I took the shuttle the first morning, but found that while it is on time, walking or a taxi is faster as the shuttle was full of medical interns on route to interview that demanded to be taken to their location first. I felt for the poor shuttle driver. It is convenient if you are doing business in the Univ of Pitt/Carnegie Melon area, just don't have expectations of the typical Wyndham.

Great hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member Sue106

Stayed at the Wyndham while attending Carnegie Mellon graduation. Of the 3 hotels I've stayed at in Pittsburgh, this is the one I would come back to. The rooms were a nice size, the staff was extremely helpful and pleasant, the coffee shop/restaurant was convenient, and the valet parking service was quick and efficient. There is a room off the lobby with 2 computers and a printer where we were able to print out boarding passes for our departing flight. The hotel is easy to find when driving in from the airport and very close to both Pitt and CMU as well as the museums, etc. Regarding the charge for valet parking, I think they charge per day, rather than per night, because we were there for 3 nights, 2 days, and had two $16 charges on our bill. Overall, I highly recommend this hotel!

Not worth the money!

by TripAdvisor Member Guestess

I'll start with the up-side; the staff were very friendly. From the front desk, the room service and valets; everyone was very decent to deal with.
On to the problems; the faucet in the bathtub dripped non-stop, one of the two elevators was broke and the room needed a makeover a long time ago.
The place was booked to capacity so it took as long as 15 minutes to get an elevator. Using the steps wasn't a pleasant option. We were on the 3rd floor, but it was actually much higher due to parking floors. They eventually opened the staff elevator to guests, but it would have been better if they got the elevator fixed.
For $200 a night, there shouldn't have been problems like we had.

Comments