Wyndham Reading

Berks County's wild turkeysBerks County's wild turkeys

Travel Tips for Reading

The Anchor Of The USS Maine

by hooahman

The USS Maine "mysteriously" blew up in Havana Harbor in 1898 killing over 1000 US Navy sailers. This launched the US into the Spanish-American War. Fourteen years later the ship was raised from the harbor and pieces of the wreck were given as mementos to cities across the nation.

Reading was given the ship's anchor which originally sat in a cemetery on the west side. At some point this giant anchor was moved to city park where it rests today.

Stop by and pay homage to the USS Maine and its sailers who were blasted to their eternity while sleeping so long ago.

Reading PA

by icsgirl28

"I've Always Lived Here"

This is where I was born, and still live. It's located in Berks County Pennsylvania, about 1 hour west of Philadelphia. This area is considered "Pennsylvania Dutch Country", although my family doesn't have much German blood.

There's not much to inspire someone to visit this area, at least in my opinion. Downtown we have the Sovereign Center which hosts venues, for example Cher, American Idols Live, that sort of thing. The downtown area has been in a state of decline for several decades, and there have been some efforts in the past 10 years to improve it, it's usually not a destination. People will go downtown to see a show at the Sovereign Center, take a class at the Goggle Works, or Sovereign Center for the Performing Arts, and may go early to enjoy a meal at one of several dining establishments, or stay after to have a few drinks at the local pubs. Crime is definitely a deterrent, especially after dark. I will not go downtown after dark without my husband. Call me a sissy if you need to, but I've had several negative experiences.

Malguy's new Reading Page

by Malguy

I was in PA Reading visiting my chat buddy for the first time.. David, Sandy & Cit...
they are really cool people taking care of me while i was there for a few weeks.
Had the opportunity to visit the Poconos Mountain with Cit.
Had an opportunity to visit some of Sandy's schools and talk to the children about Malaysia, the culture and had loads of fun being with the kids..

I had the chance to visit Atlantic City too which was great..

Comments