Four Points By Sheraton York

Colonial Dining at its BestColonial Dining at its Best

Travel Tips for York

neighborhoods

by davecallahan

There are many diverse neighborhoods in York that were generated by groups of religiously or ethnically or economically connected people. Today there persist over a dozen such communities within the township.

Avenues
West Bank
Yorktowne

NAMES Quilt comes to York

by SheDragon

"Friends and Loved Ones Remembered"

I was lucky enough to see a portion of the NAMES Quilt when it came to York. It is a very moving tribute to all those who have died of AIDS and what we have lost because of their deaths.

The above quilt reads, "Through our crisis, we have found unity. Since the cost is so high, let us use it wisely." This quilt is a dedication to Keith Haring, whose artwork still stands as a call-to-arms in the fight against AIDS and HIV. He died of AIDS in 1990.

"Freddie Mercury Remembered"

I know the pic isn't a great one, but the quilt that is second from the top on the left is for Freddie Mercury.

"A Touching Memorial"

Dear BOB (PEARSON)

You spoke the truth about AIDS with conviction in a time when it wasn't even safe to do so. You are part of a heritage of courage I call upon for strength. Thank you for encouraging me to do something about AIDS. If I disappointed you while you were alive, I'm sober & stronger now. Gone are the starched white collars, grey flannels, & Ollie North hair cuts. Now there's ACT UP T-shirts and a disturbed peace.

"now it is time that we were going, I to die and you to live...I shall never feel more fear or aversion for something which, for all I know, may really be a blessing, than for those evils which I know to be evils." - Plato

"Let the dead and the god of death bear witness! I have no love for a friend who loves in words alone." - ANTIGONE

Accompanying art work adapted from the subway drawings of Keith Haring, who died of AIDS in 1990.

Comments