Architects Inn - George Champlin Mason House

Architect's Inn - George Champlin Mason House
Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Newport

Me & Ferni in front of RosecliffMe & Ferni in front of Rosecliff

Being received at the mansionBeing received at the mansion

Casual for a rainy day while visiting the BreakersCasual for a rainy day while visiting the Breakers

My Blue Moon and the menuMy Blue Moon and the menu

Travel Tips for Newport

Waterfront

by Gypsystravels

Newport is a harbour city, so you'll find yourself at some point glazing over the harbours. After walking around why not stop and enjoy the beautiful waterfront at Newport? Its a great way to relax and enjoy the world go by.

We pack lite for a weekend getaway!

by Gypsystravels

Our stays are normally for a few days and a small roller board or weekend bag is enough to hold everything we need for those days. No matter what time of year you travel to Newport always have a sweater/jacket or a shawl (I usually have my pashmina) as the weather can be chilly. It's usually a casual weekend for us so we pack a few jeans, Ferni likes his dress shirts and will have one or two and I will take a casual sweater, or top. If I plan to do a lot of walking and exploring, I take along my casual flats and a pair of dresser shoes/sandals/boots. I take my atshma meds, shampoo and conditioner, body lotion, soap, hair accessories (clips and headbands) motrine, spare pair contact lenses, saline solution, glasses, sun glasses, perfume. I take my camera of course, spare battery, spare memory card, and the charger for the battery Don't forget an umbrella

Our favorite pub in Newport

by Gypsystravels about Yesterday's Ale House

The bar/restaurant is located at Washington Square and very close to central Newport. Its a really nice place to enjoy a meal or just drinks. We always make it a point to stop in here on all our visits. The atmosphere is very comfortable, the food is good and Ferni likes that I am a happy girl cause I can find my Leffe Blonde Ale here.

We will usually sit at the bar making it a more casual and relaxed feeling, not to mention that the bartender always remembers us, which is a nice touch.

They have daily specials which all look quite scrumptious as well as a large selection of your usual pub fare. On my first visit I ordered the "Asian Wonton with Sesame Dipping Sauce" mmmmmmmmmmmmm.... It surely hit the spot!!! Ferni is very predicable and will always order his chicken tenders and a beer. I have tried many of their items on the menu, but give me my Leffe Blonde Ale and I am happy...

*Note* Pre-Movie specials from Sunday thru Thursday 4 pm - 6pm all entrees are only $12.95 A Leffe Blonde Ale (or two or three, lol). Anything else on the menu. Depends on my mood, but I have had their burger, very juicsy, the Asian Wonton with Sesame Dipping Sauce, soups and Ferni has had their chicken tenders on all his visits.

Beavertail Lighthouse, Conanicut Island

by Geoff_Wright

Beavertail Lighthouse Station was established in 1749. The present Lighthouse was built in 1856. It is an active light, with a focal plane 68 ft; white flash every 6 s, day and night. The lighthouse is a 45 ft square cylindrical granite tower attached to 2-story stucco-clad brick keeper's quarters (1856. The tower is unpainted granite; lantern and watchroom painted black; keeper's quarters white with red roofs. Fog horn (3 s blast every 30 s). The Assistant keeper's quarters (1898) houses a museum.. This is the nation's third oldest light station. The foundations of the 1749 lighthouse remain visible.

The Beavertail Lighthouse Museum Association works for preservation of the light station. Site open daily; museum open daily late June through Labor Day, weekends in late spring and early fall; tower closed.

For all the interesting history of this light, see:

More Breakers

by chodearm

The cliff walk crosses in front of this rediculously large property. Roaming around the property is free of charge, rightfully, but 15 dead presidents will only grant access within. The sun was at full mast, I was sweating, tired and ready to move on to the beaches of Cape Cod so I didn't stay as long as I should've but I ain't crying.

Comments