20 Kay Street, Newport, Rhode Island, 02840, United States
Tingo.com Travelocity Booking.com

More about Bayberry Inn of Newport

Don't Do It; Not Up To Par & Customer Service Comes Last

by TripAdvisor Member JJBNYC

I booked a trip to the Bayberry Inn in Newport as a surprise for my (then) boyfriend for his 34rd birthday. I read a few reviews, but I did not do enough research on Newport Inns at the time to know what was the best/worst in terms of location, luxury, comfort, etc. I had an idea of the area I thought we would want to stay around and booked from there. The photos of the Inn looked beautiful online and I booked relatively late in the season, so I could not be too picky this time around.

When we arrived, we were pleased with the location and the Inn looked nice. We were just so happy to be out of NYC, away from our careers and vacationing for a long weekend. When we went inside, the first thing that came to mind was "cute" and "average". The Inn was fine, not mind-blowing and not a place we thought "we have to come back here." Our room was downstairs and relatively small for what we paid, and definitely needed some updating. The bathroom was a simple, tiled bathroom that you would see in a two-star hotel, relatively clean, but not great. Other than that, there is nothing more to say. The breakfast was nice and the Inn keeper at the time was very sweet.

Fast forward two years and we are now engaged, four months away from our wedding. As one of our gifts, three friends who are writers at major national magazines (InStyle, Self and People to be exact) chipped in and surprised us with a gift certificate for the Inn. They saw photos of us there and went ahead and bought us a generous gift certificate to congratulate us on our upcoming nuptuals. This was in April 2006 and the gift certificate expires in April 2007. From that April to June, we were planning our wedding and honeymoon, and had no time to think about a getaway in Newport.

When we returned from our honeymoon, I called the Inn to see if I could use the gift certificate the following summer as a surprise weekend for my husband's birthday (July 2007). It would be just like the first time we stayed there, only now we are a married couple. I explained we did not want to come when it was cold because Newport really comes alive in the summer. I asked Ward, the owner, if I could book three nights (knowing the gift certificate would barely cover one night, I offered to pay the difference of about $700-$800 cash). Ward said absolutely not and that if we did not USE the gift certificate by April 2007, it would go to waste. No credit, no exceptions would be made.

We could NOT believe that we had previously spent almost $1000 for a weekend stay and we were willing to come back and spend almost the same amount on another weekend, inclusive of a $300 gift certificate and Ward WOULD NOT honor this. I was disgusted and clearly, this was bad service and bad PR for on his part. (PS: I am a public relations director for a high-end luxury brand and this would NEVER happen with our company).

Usually when a gift certificate has an expiration date for accommodations, it means to book by the date noted. We are so upset and disappointed that the owner could care less about customer service and having return clients, that we would never go back here again. I explained that we just got married and that we both have demanding careers, and we would appreciate being able to use the gift certificate a little bit later in 2007. Knowing Ward does not value his customers and cleary could care less has convinced us to stay elsewhere in Newport. And to top it all off, when I asked Ward what the reasoning was, he said "we will probably be doing construction on the property when you want to come in July '07." My response was, "So, if we come to Newport in July 2007, we will see construction happening at your Inn." Oddly enough, Ward stumbled on his words, knowing he was probably telling a white lie to me and my husband.

Do yourself a favor and take your hard-earned money to another place that is nicer and where you will be appreciated as customers. What a disappointment this place has proved itself to be.

INN Love with the BayBerry Inn

by TripAdvisor Member daaznmofo

This was the first time I stayed at a B&B and I didn't know what to expect. The previous reviews on tripadvisor.com had me worried that I had made a mistake in booking at this place. To my amazement, this was the best place I've ever stayed in. The hosts, Marilyn and Bill, were the most firendly and helpful couple and were always cheerful.
The Gold Room was perfect. The size of the room was spacious and the jacuzzi was great. The room was kept neat and clean, and the bed was very comfortable.
The breakfast was just as good as the room. Everything was delicious.
Overall, I enjoyed my vacation in Newport. I look forward to visiting again and staying at the Bayberry Inn. I would highly recommend this place if you are looking for a romantic getaway.

Great Weekend

by TripAdvisor Member Nutmeg2

We really enjoyed Labor Day weekend at Bayberry Inn. The Anna Hunter Suite was quite elegant- it is so nicely appointed. The jacuzzi tub was relaxing after a day of walking. The innkeepers were kind and gracious- we appreciated the recommendations they gave us on where to dine and what to see. We were very pleased with our stay at Bayberry Inn!

Expecting better for the money

by TripAdvisor Member RJG75

We were expecting quite a lot from the Bayberry Inn. The website is extremely slick and promised "Newport Luxury", illustrated by some impressive photographs. At over $300 per night for our room, it is at the high end of the market competing with hotels like the Hyatt or Marriott.

Unfortunately it didn't quite live up to our expectations. The renovation had obviously been done to a strict budget - the bathroom was fitted with a very unattractive green suite that certainly wasn't in keeping with an 1830s house. The air conditioning unit in our room was very noisy and had we been staying at the height of summer we would have had to choose between melting or sleeping.

Our room was certainly clean, although the carpet was quite badly stained in places (which could only be fixed by replacing it).

The house itself was beginning to look a bit jaded on the outside and the "splendid lawns" mentioned on the website were certainly not evident to us.

The innkeepers were extremely helpful and friendly and the breakfast was very good.

Overall, for the money I think you could do better in Newport and if we ever go back we would try somewhere else.

Nice Property Needs Better Cleaning Staff

by TripAdvisor Member LuvVacays

My husband and I stayed during Memorial Day weekend. The room looks exactly like it does on their website. We were overall happy with the place. The house is beautiful, parking is sufficient, location is not bad. I especially enjoyed the swing on the porch. We could've gotten more space for our money.

The Bayberry Inn and Rachel

by TripAdvisor Member frankiedonna

The Bayberry Inn in Newport is a beautiful inn filled with so many wonderful rooms. We chose the Gold Room, an lovely room with a beautiful bed. Our stay there was perfect from the room to the scrumptous breakfasts that were served. Rachel is a most gracious host. From the moment you enter the inn her warm and inviting smile tells you that your stay will be like being home. She provides you with comfort immediately by escorting you into the parlor while she gets your reservation to make sure everything will be perfect. She gives you some information on the workings of the inn and takes you to your room. She makes sure everything is to your liking and leaves you alone. If you are looking for a place to kick back and just relax then this is the place for you. We spent 3 days at the inn and were never so rested. Thank you Bayberry and Rachel for the most wonderful weekend!

Donna and Frank LaSorsa
Manalapan, NJ

Charming

by TripAdvisor Member Hershey5

My husband and I took a getaway weekend to Newport. A friend had recommended the Bayberry Inn which we then reviewed the website and contacted the Inn directly. The staff was delightful over the telephone and just as delightful in person. We found the "Gold Room" was lovely and and relaxing. Each morning breakfast was delicious and the staff was very helpful with all our questions about sight seeing, places to eat, etc.

We plan to go back again!

Fabulous with one recommendation

by TripAdvisor Member KitKat5

My trip started with a phone call placed to the Inn. I wanted to find out about room rates for the weekend of New Year's. Rachel (the in-keeper) offered so much help, I felt like I was a celebrity. I also wanted to pay when I arrived and she did everything in her power to ensure that would happen, while securing our room.

I loved the location of the Inn and the fact that it has parking. When we arrived it was a little bumpy at first, we had to wait about 15 minutes to be checked in. Although once we were checked in and arrived in our room, it was amazing. It took my breath away. The attention to detail was unbelievable. When we saw our bathroom I nearly fell over. It has a shower on one end and a huge two person Jacuzzi on the other with a bay window. There was a fireplace in the room but we couldn't figure out how to turn it on. The bed was so comfortable I didn't want to get out of it and while I was out of it, I dreamed about getting back in it. The sheets were so soft. There was a fridge and ice on our floor as well.

Breakfast was by far one of the best breakfasts for an Inn out there. Yogurt, baked bread from the Inn, pancakes, french toast, coffee, tea and the set up was perfect.

My husband and I went to the Bell Court Castle for New Year's Eve. Rachel arranged a car for us to be picked up, dropped off and returned. This was flawless.

I am actually trying to book another weekend there for March (if I get my bonus at work). I plan on staying there every time I return to Newport.

I have only one recommendation. There was only one time during the day for I think about an hour, that the inn offered snacks. It would have been nice to return shopping and made a cup of tea and had a muffin, on our own time. But again. the breakfast made up for this.

I give Rachel, the staff and Inn a 100%.

Loved the Bayberry Inn in Newport

by TripAdvisor Member mbalwani

Loved this inn in Newport. Its a lovely house with beautiful well maintained rooms. The service was great. Close to all the attractions in Newport. Would definitely go back again!

The Bayberry Inn Is Charming and Romantic!

by TripAdvisor Member LI_Shamrock

We cannot say enough good things about The Bayberry Inn! The inn is a Victorian house that is tastefully decorated and where you feel right at home. Our room was large and spacious, extremely clean, and the fireplace just added to the charm. Breakfast was delicious, especially the French Toast! And, Rachel, the Innkeeper, was warm and friendly yet respected our privacy. We look forward to our next visit!

Liz enjoying breakfast @ AsteriskLiz enjoying breakfast @ Asterisk

More ocean viewsMore ocean views

Yet another look behind treesYet another look behind trees

Enjoying the Gilded Age of the Astor's "Cottage"Enjoying the Gilded Age of the Astor's "Cottage"

Comments