Cliffside Inn

2 Seaview Ave, Newport, Rhode Island, 02840, United States

More about Cliffside Inn

THE CLIFFSIDE INN, which...

by drolkar

THE CLIFFSIDE INN, which formerly belonged to an eccentric artist named Beatrice Turner. For reasons that remain unknown, she painted self-portraits in the hundreds (personally, I wonder whether that was her way of keeping a diary...), many of which grace the walls of the inn. Also, the inn is very conveniently located in terms of access to the Cliffwalk and the mansions.

The Oppulence of the Guilded Age

by LadyRVG

Newport was the summer playground of the rich during "The Guilded Age" in America. Wealthy familes such as the Vanderbilts and Astors competed to build the biggest and most oppulent summer cottages (as they called them) in Newport. Grand house were built along the sea and the prominent Bellevue Avenue to showcase the families weath and position in society. Beautiful mansions were showcases of the finest architecture, artwork, marble and fine furnishings.

When visiting Newport touring the mansions is a must.*

Newport is a favorite destination for my husband and I. I have been visiting Newport since I was a small child and love the area. We both love the history and architectural richness of Newport. There are also many great restaurants, shops, festivals, bars and shops in Newport.

We prefer to visit Newport during the Fall, Winter and Early Springs Months to avoid the Summer Crowds that desend upon Newport and the surrounding area. Newport is beautiful during the Christmas season when a few mansions are open and decorated in Christmas splendor.

When we visit Newport we prefer the B&B experience and have enjoyed staying at the Abigal Stoneman, Adele Turner and the Cliffside Inn. The Inns have beautifully decorated rooms with large jacuzzi tubs and fireplaces; perfect for celebrating a Birthday, Anniversary or just a romantic weekend together. B&B provide a more personal and romantic way to get swept away in Newport.

We often spend weekends in Newport exploring our favorite places and trying some new restaurants. It has even been just a day trip on one of our many roadtrips through the area. When I am near my beloved Newport; I must stop in for a visit no matter the duration.

Some of my favorite things to do in Newport are touring the Mansions. My husband and I both belong to the Preservation Society of Newport (as a family memebership. This entitles us to unlimited touring of the mansions, 10% all mansion stores and special pricing/invitation to events throughout the year. Some of my favorite Mansions are: The Elms, Marble House, Bellcourt, Breakers, Chateau-sur-Mer, Ochre Court and Rosecliff.*

Comments