Francis Malbone House

Francis Malbone House Inn
Hotels.com Expedia.com Priceline.com

More about Francis Malbone House

After Traveling through New England This was the best

Where do I start? My wife and I have been traveling for the last 2 weeks we stayed in Maine, New hampshire and the Cape. The Malbone is top notch from arrival to departure every member of staff met or exceeded our expectations. The food, hospitality and warmth, follows you from morning to evening. We stayed in a courtyard with terrace? it had a king bed and whirlpool. Will and his staff went out of there way to make us feel welcome and special. Even providing us with opulent beach towels (heavy cotton) and beach chairs. Excellent dinner suggestions and touring reccomendations. (Bouchards was fabulous)! If I ever travel to Newport again this is the only place I would stay!

Warm and Charming

by TripAdvisor Member emecaja

During a first time visit to New England my husband and I stayed at The Francis Malbone a beautiful historic Inn. We were very pleasantly surprised by the warm welcome that we recieved from the staff as well as there professionalism, Christine spent alot of time with us explaining the area and planning a little intinerary for us on our map of the do's and the donts of Newport .....there are many more do'd than dont's.
Breakfast and Afternoon tea were like an event each day we both woke up to the smells of home made scones, muffins and banana bread......the crab meat fondue with crostini at tea time was amazing.
The staff have great resaturant recommendations Suzanne made us dinner reservations at Cafe Zelda a quiet little gem on Thames Street I have a feeling that the local like to keep this place all to themselves!.
Will (the manager) and all of his team do a five star job and made us feel as if we were the only guests in this 20 room oasis.
FYI the inn has an amazing courtyard that you can lounge around and relax also they provide beach towels and chairs.
My Husband and I will most definetly return.

Terrific Place

by TripAdvisor Member Dougruns26

Just returned home today from a 3 day stay at the Malbone. Fantastic place. The staff was amazing, the room and the property were beautiful and the breakfast/tea time sweets cooked by Annemarie were out of this world. Bravo to the owner Will and his staff!

The Best Yet!

by TripAdvisor Member peterEastNorthport

We stayed at the Mason House, a separate building, with living & dining room, full kitchen & two bedroom suites. It wasn't cheap, but my family were so enamored with it that we delayed leaving the next day just to hang there for a coulpe of hours. Food & srvice was tops. I can't recommend the FMH highly enough!

Peter Lee
East Northport, NY

Loved every minute

by TripAdvisor Member MWFW

We were really delighted with this choice of inn during our tour of New England.
The hotel has a nice homely feel and tastefully decorated. Unusually for downtown Newport I guess, it had an inner courtyard garden with plenty of tables and chairs for use at any time of day. The best bit was being served a delicious choice of breakfast out in the garden. Do not miss out on the afternoon tea. You will find yourself making sure you are back in time for that spread!! Our room was light, bright and clean. Altough the room was not overly generous in size ( the huge very comfy bed taking up a big proportion) the french windows opening onto the garden made up for that. Would love to stay here again if we get a chance to revisit the town. Certainly the combination of the buzz of Newport, the mansion tours, the cliff walk, this accomodation AND sunshine will leave a lasting impression.

Loved the B & B

We have just returned from Newport, Rhode Island where we celebrated our twentieth wedding anniversary. The Francis Malbone House was superb. We have never received such wonderful service before. Will, the innkeeper and his staff were so helpful and extremly pleasant. They made our trip very special. The room was beautifully decorated and very comfortable. We had an opportunity to see several rooms and they were all luxurious. The gourmet breakfast was incredible. We especially enjoyed afternoon tea in the courtyard (also incredible). The location was ideal as you could walk to great restaurants, shops and to the harbour. Overall I would say this was probably the best Bed & Breakfast we have ever stayed in.

Close to Perfection

by TripAdvisor Member Lambkin

The Francis Malbone is one of the top B&B's we've stayed in thus far. I can't say enough postive things about this home.

We arrived this past Wednesday night - in the middle of some of the worst weather the northeast area has seen in years, for this time of year especially. There is someone at the front desk until 11pm (I believe that night, it was Suzanne), which was great since we didn't get there until 10pm and appreciated having someone knowledgeable to help us get settled.

First, I must give thanks to all the staff, from the front desk to the efficient housekeeping staff, to the people cooking our wonderful breakfasts. Everyone we encountered were incredibly pleasant, helpful, gracious and good-natured. Will was very knowledgeable and made some great suggestions for meals and entertainment, and Daryl impressed me by remembering that my husband doesn't eat seafood (which I mentioned in passing in an email while inquiring about dinner reservations/suggestions).

The house itself is beautiful and well maintained. There are many rooms to explore, and the grounds are beautiful too. Our first 2 nights there we were in one of the "Harborview" rooms which is in the historic part of the building and yes it did have a harborview, albeit an obstructed one. The room we were in was especially large since there was a queen bed and a twin (which we didn't need). Original wide-plank floor boards, a fireplace (although they were not prepared for use until 2 nights later), and nice historic type furnishings. Bathroom in this room was somewhat small, shower only, no tub but this wasn't a problem for us. Bed was extremely comfortable, nice linens although the towels in this room were not particularly good (kind of scratchy) but this may have been a fluke because when we switched rooms, they got better. Nice oatmeal soap (although I wish people would start using liqued soaps instead of bars - I find it kind of gross sharing a bar of soap with others), shampoo, conditioner, lotion, q-tips and cotton balls were available. Nice sized closet and a VCR (they have a library of movies on-site). There was even a good selection of magazines in the room which I enjoyed. Also, the room was very quiet, since it's on the 3rd floor (quite the climb I might add - I have some knee issues and this was a bit of a problem for me but it's my own fault for not booking something closer to ground level, not theirs).

Our 3rd and 4th nights we were moved to a "Newport" room which although smaller, was more luxurious. This is in the newer section of the home, and has been sensitively built to reflect the historic nature of the original part of the house. From inside the room you'd never know it wasn't built when the house was. Much larger bathroom was a plus - with jacuzzi tub (bath salts provided) and a skylight in the tub area. However, lighting in general in the bathroom needs improvement - it's ok during the daytime but at night, for us women, putting on makeup is a difficult task as overhead lighting is rather dim. This room also had a fireplace (BTW they provide 1 Duraflame log per day - additional cost $3 each, which we thought was ok) and DVD player (although the DVD choices were not as extensive as the VCR choices). The room had an alcove shelf area where the TV was, with lots of books and magazines - the room really felt like you were in the bedroom of someone's home. Nice sized closet again, king bed which was very comfortable, lovely linens. Quiet for the most part (we could hear people coming in the back door from the parking lot at night - but this didn't go on much past midnight and I'm a light sleeper, I would have known if it did).

I'm attaching a few photos of this room only, because I totally forgot to take them in the first room, which I regret because it was very charming.

The breakfasts were incredible. Beyond incredible actually. Each morning there was a full array of pastries, cereals, yogurt, fruit, juice, coffee and tea and there were 2 choices of a hot entree - one an egg choice, the other a pancake/waffle/french toast choice. Egg choices while were were there ranged from Quiche Lorraine, to scrambled eggs with ham served in on a puff pastry with Hollandaise sauce, to an italian style fritta. Banana walnut pancakes, stuffed french toast, blueberry waffles, yum! Really outstanding and everything cooked to perfection.

They served a tea every day also at 4pm which consisted of any assortment on any day of various pastries, scones, cookies, cakes, chocolate mousse, poached pears in raspberry merlot sauce, cheese cakes, nuts, cheeses, savory tarts, etc. Over the top delicious. I think I need to ask for their peanut butter cookie recipe! Any leftover cookies/cakes were presented on a tray so you could take them until the evening hours.

The only negative comment I have about the food is the coffee was rather weak but I know many people don't like strong coffee. So, for me this was a negative but for many may not be.

The Francis Malbone is touted as the only 5 star B&B in Newport and indeed I believe it earns it rightly so. We felt pampered, attended to, cared for and appreciated for being there. I highly recommend them, and fully intend to stay there again if we have the chance. For the rest of our trip, things we did and meals see the review I posted today too.

The Best so far

This is by far the best Inn we've stayed so far. The Innkeepers are extremely nice and thoughtfull and close attention is paid to detail. Breakfast is wonderful. It truly feels like a home away from home.

Great place stay during the Holidays

We stayed at the Francis Malbone Inn for three days between Christmas and New Years and had a wonderful and relaxing stay. The Inn was decorated with period style trees, wreaths and garlands. Our room was very spacious and well furnished. The breakfasts were among the best we have ever eaten and were served by friendly and helpful wait staff. I would recommend the Inn to anyone staying in Newport.

Amazing and relaxing time at the Malbone

by TripAdvisor Member K_Metz

We stayed with another couple at the malbone House over New Years weekend, and I can say without a doubt that it was the best stay that we have ever had at an inn of its type and that, at least for the time of year that we stayed there, it was a pretty good bargain.

We stayed in one of the smaller rooms of the main house, a Gardenside room, and although it wasn't extremely spacious (which is understandable considering that it is part of a very old house), we were very comfortable. Great shower, nice mattress, turndown service with classical music playing softly on the radio when we got back into our room.

The Malbone Inn itself was a great building and the staff went to great lengths to pamper us and make us feel like we were relaxing in our own home away from home. The morning started off with a cooked breakfast (choice of two delicious entrees, different each day we were there), which actually had a little pre-brekafast with homemade baked goods, fresh fruit, coffee, and cereals/granola beforehand. Don't worry about breakfast when you stay at the Malbone, you will be fine until well into the afternoon with this feast!

At 3pm to 6pm they have an afternoon tea, which probably should be acalled an afternoon "spoil-your-dinner" considering the amazing spread of homemade treats and delectable baked foods for us to eat. There are three common rooms, fitting four or five people each comfortably, and one of them was generally open for us to relax and read in by the fire. There was an honor bar at reasonable prices for a late drink, and a library with a collection of reading if you happened to forget yours; copies of the Ny Times were also around for consumption, a nice touch for displaced NY'ers like us.

The staff was amazingly friendly and not at all stuffy or pretentious. Just honest, kind, and helpful people who wanted to do what they could to make your stay there as great as possible. The Inn is in a great location with lots of retaurants and downtown Newport right out the door.

You hopefully get the point. I can't say enough great things about the Francis Malbone house. . .stay here if you can!

Comments