1 Goat Island, Newport, Rhode Island, 02840, United States

Expedia.com Booking.com Tingo.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Incredible Views & Great Location

We decided to try out this Hyatt in 2012, simply due to its location on Goat Island in Newport. Neither my wife or I had stayed here before and we had always seen this hotel as we crossed over the bridge into Newport.

We stayed for our Anniversay weekend in April 2012. We had gotten a great rate (thanks to Priceline) of $60 per night and even got the Valet parking comped thanks to my wife charming the front desk staff. We arrived in the late morning and were surprised that our room was actually ready. The room was on the first floor in the back end of the hotel. At first I was concerned at the first floor location but it turned out to be an incredible room. The room was a corner window with large windows overlooking the water and the Lighthouse.

The room was spacious and had the usual ammeneties: bed, couch, desk, dresser, closet and bathroom. The bed wasn't the most comfortable but I'm rather picky about mattresses in general. Other than that the room was perfect for us.

The hotel in general was very good; friendly staff, fast service with a smile. During our stay we enjoyed drinks by the fire in their bar/lounge which was perfect after a day of exploring/shopping around Newport. The grounds are very nice with beautiful water views, The Goat Island Lighthouse and plenty of Adirondack chairs to sit back and relax. My wife and I enjoyed walking the property and checking out the views.

Since our first visit in 2012; we have used this hotel several times. With my Diamond status with Hyatt we have received some great suite upgrade with beautiful views of the water which to me is so worth staying here. My status includes free breakfast at their restaurant but trust me it is crap so go elsewhere. Service here is always very good and we have had some very pleasant stays. Our most recent stay in February 2014; we were upgraded to a huge two level suite. It was an incredible space and had the beautiful water views we so love.

Unique Quality: They have a van that shuttles hotel guests to and from the heart of the shopping /dining area. In the summer they have a boat taxi that provides the same service as the van

More about Hyatt Regency Newport

Valentines weekend in Newport

The Hyatt Regency Newport was terrific. My wife and I went there to celebrate Valentine's day weekend and had no complaints. We stayed in one of the king waterview rooms...the room was large with a beautiful view of Newport harbor. The breakfast buffet was delicious, and was included in the hotel package that we booked. The town of Newport itself is wonderful...we took a tour of the mansions and went to a great Italian restauraunt called sardello's.

A Stranger in My Bed!!

I would be tempted to give the Hyatt a much higher rating, had it not been for my distasterous check-in. After I had lugged by bags all the way to my room (no bellman in sight), I opened the door to find a stranger already lounging on the bed. YIKES. After a call down to the front desk, they barely apologized and told me that someone would meet me at the "correct" room -- all the way on the other side of the hotel. I waited outside the new room for nearly 20 minutes until someone finally came to let me in -- again with barely an apology.
Other than that mishap, the room was lovely with a large balcony overlooking the water.

By the sea

by TripAdvisor Member jafb

Rooms vary in size/decor/and view at this waterside hotel. Our last room was very small, but stylishly decorated in warm caramel tones. View of the parking lot. On the small side for 2 people.

Room service breakfast was late/forgotten/and wrong when it was delivered. The people at reception are not very service oriented. They ratttle off the things that cannot be done, with little eye contact.

This hotel hosts many large groups. This may account for the attitude and service problems.

Lousy Rooms and Below Average Service

by TripAdvisor Member nicolas617

We arrived at the Hyatt not expecting much a hotel -based on the trip advisor reviews. At 5PM, we were informed that because our room was large it still was not ready and that they would call us when it was. I raised a bit of a fuss to a very unreceptive desk clerk. After about 15 minutes, we did receive a call from someone else who informed us that our room was ready and that they were offering 2 free buffet breakfast vochures. It was only because of this vochure that I am not rating the overall hotel terrible.

I paid $200 for a room that I thought would be bi-level in the captains quarter area of the builder. Well, the room was NOT bi-level but it was in that area. The room was just of normal size and decorared in a 1980s style theme with a terribly old bathroom tiled in mint green. The whole room reeked terrible of smoke even though this was supposed to be the non smoking floor.

The breakfast was nice. We are glad we didn't have to pay.

Never again.

lovely

Despite the awful reviews on tripadvisor, my husband and I decided to give the Hyatt a try on a quick, one night getaway to Newport. The hotel is situated beautifully, and the staff were friendly and helpful. We asked and paid for a waterview room, and what a view we had! One entire wall of our small, but nice room was the most beautiful view of the harbor. Our room and bathroom were well appointed and immaculate. Perfect size for two people, but too small for a child too. The breakfast was the best we've had in years, with friendly, attentive waitstaff. We would definitely return to the Hyatt on our next visit. However, I will ask if there are any large parties booked that night - the Roger Williams Commencement Ball was at the Hyatt the night we stayed and the kids were everywhere in the lobby when we checked in.

Horrible Service

After looking at a few hotels, I decided to send my employees to this hotel. Unfortunately, I should have checked the reviews. What I thought
would be a great opportunity for the employees to get their business done
in a wonderful setting turned out nothing more than employee harrassment.

One quick story...
From the moment one employee arrived, they not only gave her trouble
checking in (due to lost charge authorization forms) but continued to call her room THROUGHOUT her stay to advise her that they still needed a form of payment or she would be kicked out. That was after removing $1000 from my checking account (lost form but they charged my account..hmm) to cover room/tax etc. After being there only 2 nights and they already had $1,000 of mine, I believe the Front Desk could have acted in a more professional manner.

I would highly suggest the employees get trained on the Ritz Credo!

Pleasantly Surprised!

by TripAdvisor Member reviewer26

After reading the reviews, I was a bit apprehensive about staying here but was pleasantly surprised. The room was clean and new - the bed was heavenly. The front desk was quite responsive and courteous. I'm sure all the rooms give you a water view. I really enjoyed my stay here.

Horrible Service, Save your money

After staying at the Hyatt in Baltimore I booked the Hyatt in Newport. Big mistake.
First of all the hotel is out of the way on Goat Island. It adds a lot of walking to you stay. I would not have minded the extra walking if the service at the hotel was good.
We stayed in an ocean front room which was very nice. The room was very nice. I think they could have cleaned the bathtub better it was a jacuzzi tub and I wouldn't use it because it was not cleaned properly.
Our alarm clock did not work and we requested a new one on Friday night. We also requested a wake up call at 7am. We never received a wake up call and we didn't receive the alarm clock either. We walked to the lobby and requested a new clock again. It finally arrive Saturday afternoon.
We were pushed into paying for the attendant to park my truck. Then three hours later I saw it sitting in the lobby still. When I called the front desk to ask them to move it into a spot they parked it extremely close to another vehicle (just asking for door dings). I finally requested the keys and moved the vehicle myself. Then my bill showed two $20 charges for parking. I still have to address this problem.
Then there was the towel problem. We ran out of towels on Sunday morning and I had to call and request them 4 times(a one hour process). During the last phone call I was assured that the towels were on the way to my room. I went into the shower and asked my girlfriend to hand me a towel when I got out. She told me they never arrived. I had to put on my bathing suit and go down to the lobby and retreive my own towels and I was still soaking wet. (I am sure the golf outing appreciated this but, I didn't).
We requested a late checkout so we could go to the beach and shower before we went home. We were told this was not available. I requested for the hotel to provide us for a shower/bathroom for us to use (the sheraton is more than happy to provide this). The Hyatt told me to use the public bath at the beach (which is filthy).
I will never stay at another Hyatt.
Next time I am in Newport I will find a better hotel. It doesn't make sense to spend extra money to stay at the Hyatt and be treated this way.

Nothing wrong with this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member dbus85

Was cautious about staying at this hotel..but frankly...i just dont understand all the complaints. Like the last one..so you didnt have a towel. Check out is Checkout... your lucky they didnt slap a fee on you..
We stayed up on 9...granted we had a discount and used other perks, but it is pricey... but its a hotel.... in an expensive destination.
We found the hotel to be spotless...very quiet, the help very friendly and courteous ..and the food and spa quite nice. as well as the indoor outdoor pools.
Yes...there is some walkign...but the causeway into town....is not that bad..its short its flat..as is much of Newport.and they run a shuttle quite often. Hotel from town..even if walking slowly..i'd say about 5-10 minutes.
Parking i dont get.... a flat rate....but it was safe and secure.
There has been a lot of fog lately in that area...we laughed when we heard a woman complaining that she had no waterview......
Our "biggest" complaint...no little cubic fridge to store leftovers or chocolate form shoppes in town.
For a good meal...expensive but well worth it....22 Bowen...on Bowen Wharf 10 min walk from this hotel .Fantastic!!!

Enjoy the stay every year!

by TripAdvisor Member steemer1

I stay at this hotel at least 3 times a year every summer. I chose this hotel because it's the only one in Newport with an outdoor salt water pool. I don't go to the beaches, they're packed and a lot of the time the red tide is disgusting. The pool is perfect because it is salt water. They also have an outdoor restaurant & bar so you can eat/drink right at your lounge chair. (get to pool early though by 9am most chairs are taken). If you can, try to book a Captains Quarters room. The rooms are a bit larger w/ a balcony.

If you're going to Newport to relax, this is the place for you. The hotel is not the fanciest by any means. (If you want that stay at The Chanler on the Cliff Walk). However, it's clean and well kept. It offers everything you need for a comfortable stay. The location is perfect. It is out of the way on Goat Island but they do have a shuttle that runs every 1/2 hour to take you into town (about a 10 minute drive, 20 min walk). The shuttle runs until 1am. You may also take your car (good luck with parking downtown though not only with availability but $$$)

Be prepared to spend some money as meals & cocktails aren't cheap.
It's well worth it. Especially if the weather cooperates. The Red Parrot (in town) has a terrific menu and is very reasonably priced.

I haven't had much problems with service. I called for sheets & a blanket they came within 15 min. The only time I remember being disappointed was a couple of years ago when I wanted to play tennis & they didn't have any tennis balls. Other than that I have always enjoyed my stay here.

I am going back to this hotel again next weekend and 2 weeks after that.

Comments