12 Clay St., Newport, Rhode Island, 02840, United States
Booking.com Priceline.com Agoda.com

More about Ivy Lodge

Nightmare from start to finish

As the previous reviewer noted, I also had booked the Turret Room months in advance and was called on my cell phone literally on the there to tell me they double booked the room and i would be put in another room. The "other" room did not have anywhere near teh amenities the original room had and no compensation was offered. When questioned on this the owner said it was a comparable room. Not even close. Air condtioner did not work at all which made it miserable there. I went outside and slept on the porch the first night. I was told if the parking lot was full (which it was) I would have to park on teh road, but parking on the road gets you a parking ticket, which Ivy Lodge won't cover. Never again...$400 a night to have to sleep outside on the porch...

Great Stay at Ivy Lodge

by TripAdvisor Member CinciTraveler513

I have been to Newport several times over the past several years, usually staying for a long weekend. Normally we would stay at the Marriott or Hyatt, this time we decided to go the B&B route. We chose the Victoria room. What a great room (slept like a baby) and breakfast was excellent. I found the owners to be helpful with restaurants and area info. To our surprise we also had access to the Newport Athletic Club; this was great as we both like to keep on our workout schedules. We will definitely be back in the summer to enjoy the great wrap around porch!

Perfect Romantic Getaway

My boyfriend and I picked The Ivy Lodge from a B&B website for our anniversary trip. We had 3 day, 2 night stay. I'm normally VERY picky when it comes to hotels, but right from the start I was very impressed with how lovely the house was! We arrived on an off-weekend so the place was not very full and we felt like we had the run of the house.

The host and hostess were very pleasant and made us both feel like we were most welcome. We stayed in the Turret Room, which was absolutely beautiful. It had my "dream bathroom", a fireplace, and a nice view. The pictures from the website didn't do it justice! We had told the hostess in advance that it was our anniversary, and had wine and strawberries waiting for us. The whole setting was very romantic.

Breakfast in the morning was fabulous! All of it gourmet, delicious, and guaranteed to impress. I think the hostess said she was writing a cookbook, and I'll probably look for it! For going out, both the host and hostess gave us excellent dinner recommendations and even made reservations for us. We did get hungry at night, and there was always snacks to munch on in the dining room.

The house itself is near the mansion district, so it was in a pretty quiet area. Since the place wasn't busy, the hostess took us around and showed us the other rooms. All of them were beautifully decorated, and very private.

I couldn't have been happier with my stay at the Ivy Lodge. It was the perfect anniversary place I had wanted, and would definitely go back... preferably in the summer when you can enjoy the porch and garden more!

Perfect

by TripAdvisor Member tbeth

My husband and I returned from our first anniversary at The Ivy Lodge. It is a beautiful, centrally located B&B, and its inn keepers were so hospitable. We stayed on the third floor in the Magnolia Room. The room has its own fireplace, a private bathroom, and a mixture of new and antique furniture. It also had a window air conditioner which worked very well.

The Ivy Lodge is centrally located to the mansions and the Cliff Walk. It was very convenient to stop by the Lodge to rejuvenate with some of its complimentary refreshments (lemonade; freshly baked, warmed chocolate cookies; or a bag of chips). In the evening, coffee and tea are available for guests.

The innkeepers were personable and aimed to please their guests. When we checked-in, Darlene gave us a map and an overview of some sites to see. Daryl briefly mingled with the guests during breakfast and offered to arrange dinner reservations. He also arranged our sunset sailing tour before our arrival.

The breakfasts were fabulous! The Lodge offered a "sweet or savory" hot breakfast every morning, along with homemade granola, fresh muffins and fruit salad. We had eggs benedict, hawaiian french toast, apricot stuffed french toast, dill salmon omletes, and apple pancakes during our stay. As Daryl explained to me, the Ivy Lodge breakfast is a step up from ordinary, but not an indiscernible gourmet meal.

I would recommend the Ivy Lodge to anyone who is traveling to Newport and has refined taste.

PERFECT B&B

by TripAdvisor Member jbkonieczny

My husband, son and I stayed at the Ivy Lodge for the first time after reading the reviews on this site. It was perfect! We had the Satterlee Guest Room which had a wonderful king sized bed and a small adjoining room with a single bed, TV, etc. The breakfasts were to die for and the location was the best! The Cliff Walk, mansions and beach are a stone's throw away and we walked to the shopping areas and wharf in less than 20 minutes. Our host and hostess were very personalbe and made reservations for us at the Castle Hill Inn where we had a fantastic meal and sat outside and watched a gorgeous sunset. We will go there again. It is quiet and yet near everything with the added benefit of the best breakfast we ever had in any Inn .....and oh! I failed to mention the gas fireplace we used one chilly evening after a long walk!

Ivy Lodge - very nice B&B!

by TripAdvisor Member Tiggy22

We just got back from a 3 night stay at the Ivy Lodge...we had Le Chambre Jaune (the yellow room) which was small, but beautifully decorated with a very comfy queen bed and a very pretty fireplace. The bath was small also, but beautifully done over with tile, marble, etc. I liked that it had a jacuzzi tub and shower. Some rooms only have showers. Prior posts had complained about the hosts being rude, but my husband and I thought they were very nice and very helpful with advice about the mansions, etc. Our air conditioner did seem to have trouble keeping the room cool and made loud cycle noises the first night which made us have trouble sleeping...luckily a cold front moved in and the next few nights we slept much better. Another item to note...if you are on the 2nd floor, as we were, you will hear guests moving about in the room above you....especially if they are heavy walkers! The breakfasts are wonderful and if you don't really feel like you want the 2 entrees (sweet or sour) they are offering, they can do something simpler, such as scambled eggs. They are excellent cooks. A prior post had complained about the dining room being very hot at breakfast...we found it was very comfortable...not hot at all. The location is excellent right in the heart of the mansion district. You can walk to the Elms & Chepstow is almost in their back yard. Loved curling up with a book on the wraparound porch with flowers everywhere. We flipped through the guest book and all the comments reflected very happy guests, which shows this is a very special B&B.

All dressed for the Holidays

by TripAdvisor Member innlovewithinn

The Ivy was beautifull. The owners and staff went out of their way to decorate for the Holidays UNBELEIVABLE. Darryl was so kind and Knowledgable. The Breakfast were to Die for. I wish it was warmer so we could of sat on the wrap around porch but, we just sat by the fire in the oppulent living room. I cant wait to return in the summer!
Thank Paula and Will..

Read this Review........

by TripAdvisor Member Newlyweds10

My wife and I just returned from our Honeymoon last night. We chose to do something a little different, and booked three nights at the Ivy Lodge followed by 3 nights in another high end B&B in Boston. I can't even begin to explain how thankful we are for the Ivy Lodge and it's staff because we both feel that they saved our Honeymoon. Newport itself is an amazingly romantic little town, and I'd venture to guess even moreso this time of year because you seem to have it all to yourselves. We were both overcome with anticipation driving up the coast, past a beautiful town filled with restaurants and botiques, and finally through what is considered the "Mansion District" up to the inn. The Inn itself is just gorgeous from the outside, and even more breath taking as you open the front door.

The city of Newport would sell itself to anyone who enjoys fine dining, great little cafes, fishing, sightseeing, hiking, walking through cobblestone streets, reliving some history, or simply rest and relaxing at your B&B. I strongly suggest the Ivy Lodge to anyone who plans to visit Newport, and for those who don't, I SUGGEST YOU VISIT BOTH NEWPORT AND THE IVY LODGE SOON!

The room was decent size, but decorated to the 9's with beautiful antique furnishings, romantic paint and wall furnishings, and the 2 person jacuzzi tub and seperate shower weren't so bad either. There was a light switch operated gas fireplace that we kept roaring throughout our entire trip, and for those who can't completely leave civilization they have a TV and DVD in the room as well.

There are plenty of nice Inn's throughout the country, but the thing that makes this one the BEST is the ambiance. The property is rather large and private. It is located along a nice stretch in the mansion district so the neighboring properties are 10,000 square foot homes with private entrances and huge grounds. It not only adds to the romance of the Inn, but it also prevents from a lot of traffic in the immediate area. The first night we WALKED downtown for fine dining (Zeldas) and drinks (Fifth Element), and it took only about 6-8 minutes to get there. Almost no need for a cab in this town, but with all the neighboring quaint towns to visit, I'd suggest a car(but not necessary).

Lastly the owners (Daryl and Darlene) and their Inn Keeper Daryl were amazing. I ask a lot of questions, and they give just as many answers. The first night Daryl sent us to Zeldas where we had one of the best meals of our lives. The following morning we got to meet the owners and they asked us about our night while simultaneously making a GOURMET breakfast. You won't find a B&B with better morning eats. The nice couple found a way to connect with almost every guest that stayed there. The husband talked mortgages with us and the wife talked travel with another couple we befriended on the trip. It was pretty impressive how the could weave in and out of conversation with those who engaged them in it, but also kept to task of preparing a meal for those who simply wanted to "eat and run."

All in all it was a GREAT OVERALL EXPERIENCE, and though we're the type who always try something new, we won't employ that theory next time we stay in Newport. My wife and I agree that it's Ivy Lodge or BUST!

Nice get away

by TripAdvisor Member mistyiv

We spent a night at the Ivy Lodge back in September 2005 for our anniversary. The house is beautiful as well as the grounds. There is a nice wrap around porch which is perfect to sit and have your morning coffee. I was suprised to read some negative reviews. We booked the Turret room about three months prior. We had no problems with check in. The Innkeeper Darryl is the one who checked us in and showed us around. We thought he was quite nice and very helpful and willing to make any dinner reservations of suggestions for us. The room was very nice and extremely clean. The breakfast was very good and for me was plenty but for someone like my husband who is a big breakfast person it was a little on the skimpy side. I don't think they offered seconds because once you were done they cleared the table and that was it. That was really the only down side. I will admit that it is little expensive to stay there but it is worth it for a special occasion. We enjoyed our stay and didn't encounter any problems.

Our best B & B!

by TripAdvisor Member Ticket2ride

We just returned from a two night stay at the Ivy Lodge. It was the terrific getaway that we had been hoping for despite the nor'easter that struck Newport. Our hosts were very friendly and welcoming, gave us suggestions and let us know that they were available at all times without ever intruding. Breakfasts were plentiful and creative - 2 entrees plus juice, coffee/tea, fruit, granola, bagels, toast and a different baked specialty each day. We ate at a long table where we were able to meet and mingle with the other guests whom we found interesting. Our room was beautifully decorated (the Van Allen Room) with a king size bed, TV with cable and a DVD player, and a bow window and window seat plus private bathroom with shower. Local telephone calls are free. The atmosphere fits in beautifully with Newport. The location was ideal adding to the whole experience since it was within walking distance of the mansions and Bellevue Avenue plus the Cliff Walk which provided spectacular views of the surf after the storm. We can't imagine a better bed and breakfast experience and hope to return soon. This place is a real gem and the hosts make you feel so comfortable.

My eggs, bacon, potatoes and toastMy eggs, bacon, potatoes and toast

The forty steps at CliffwalkThe forty steps at Cliffwalk

Another lookAnother look

Main Ballroom at the Astors' Beechwood MansionMain Ballroom at the Astors' Beechwood Mansion

Comments