75 Mill St., Newport, Rhode Island, 02840, United States

Booking.com Travelocity Hotels.com

• Super-Modern Stay in an Old Port City

The best things about this little hotel are its location a few blocks up from Newport Harbor and its convenient, free self-parking--always hard to come by in the Harbor district. It's also small, only 23 rooms, giving one the sense of being secluded in their own private retreat while in the midst of a busy port city. The hotel itself was built within an old mill building and is very modern/Scandinavian in design. It reminded me a lot of hotels I've stayed in in Sweden and Iceland.

All of the rooms at the Mill Street Inn are suites. They offer separate bed and sitting rooms, comfortable feather beds, high thread-count sheets, refrigerators, flat screen TVs, Aveda spa products, nice Continental breakfast and super-modern design all around. The bathrooms are crazy-modern with glass-walled showers and multiple fixtures. All in all it's very comfortable. The staff was also quite friendly and helpful.

The only complaints I have are with the modern design itself which seems to have overlooked certain practical matters, such as places to hang towels, heat in the bathrooms and furniture that's actually comfortable to sit on--in favor of aesthetics. They were also a bit skimpy with the towels provided (maybe because there's no place to hang them). On the plus side, the hotel does offer free bottles of spring water, which you really need because the tap water is undrinkable.

Unique Quality: The hotel offers no restaurant or bar facilities or pool.

Directions: Historic Hill district

More about Mill Street Inn

Mill Street Inn Experience

by TripAdvisor Member christi50

My Husband and I stayed at this inn on the hottest week of all!!
No one told us that the inn has no a/c in the lobby and throughout
the halls. The rooms have one unit that suppose to cool the two
room suites. No a/c in the bedrooms which is a big mistake!!
You twist and turn all night with a squeaky mushy mattress and
sweat just drips off your body!! I am not exaggerating!!
Price adjustments were made due to constant complaining and
some of the staff were very apologetic (especially Dean, the
manager and Daniel, head of housekeeping.
The location is great, couple of blocks from main attractions.
Walking back at night is all uphill and you need to be in shape
and have good walking shoes!! Still not a dirty or bad place.
It just does not have certain conveniences that you expect at
these prices..In the end, I got a huge discount!! It pays to speak
up!!

Stay at the Mill Street..Newport's best!

....can't understand all these complaints...
The Mill Street Inn was well located, very clean and has a charming staff. Their rates are more than comparable to other hotels in Newport that are right on the waterfront...The Mill Street is just a quick walk to the town and in a very quiet neighborhood.
I stayed for 6 days during the Newport Folk Festival and had a great stay.
I would stay there again in a moment and would advise anyone looking for a perfect Newport experience to give them a try.

Their package plans are top notch, I plan to return during the off season to try one or the excellent packages that they offer.

Never again!

by TripAdvisor Member TrumpetofDestiny

Let me begin by saying I have been going to The Mill Street Inn for years, and have brought many friends and family with me, but for the past few years the service has been getting worse and worse (I was told the fellow who refurbished it years ago had sold it). The camels back was almost broken when myself and a few other couples stayed there for one of their long Valentines weekend packages. I had a few bottles of expensive champagne delivered to be delivered to each room and was promised they would be in ice buckets with glasses I provided (they said they didn't have enough glasses...being that I was bringing thousands of dollars into their seaside Inn during the middle of February I thought they could go to Crate and Barrel and buy a dozen glasses for $25 but I didn't say anything). When my guests arrived they found no champagne, no buckets, no ice. Every bottle was in my suites fridge. So much for setting a Valentines mood. My poor camel's back finally callled it quits when planning for my wedding. I was looking to book the entire hotel almost a year in advance and was told they wouldn't provide me with some simple help that many cheaper hotels could...plus no discounts that much more expensive hotels would!!! Finally the attitude and incompetence of the staff in the way they treated my fiance made me proclaim...NEVER AGAIN!!!

Mill Street Out

This place is a dump. They give you a room with one exposed-brick wall and charge $300 per night, which includes a housekeeping fee. The furniture is worse than garbage-day toss-outs, and the towels and sheets are so full of polyester that they merely spread moisture all over you. The room was filthy: the blinds hadn't been dusted in years; the carpet had a distinct stripe where the vacuum had ceased to visit for many moons, and our hands stuck to everything: light switches, doorknobs, faucets, and toilet! Beyond all this, there was constant noise above us, even though three employees told us there was not a floor above us. Not true: the inn has 2-story "suites" whose second floor overhangs some of the second-floor rooms. Although the inn requires a 2-night minimum stay, we were given no argumnet when, after a night of no sleep and lots of noise, we told the desk clerk that we were totally unsatisfied and would be leaving. By the way, our "greeting" upon arrival at the inn was missing altogether, as if we were a noisome interruption to the woman's job. Just before we left, we got a call from the desk that a room had "suddenly opened up" and we were being offered it. No doubt, another patron had a similar experience and was bowing out of his/her 2-night commitment to this inn. Oh, and lest we forget the continental breakfast, supposedly served on the roof deck. Actually, it's a collection of stale food and horrid coffee, all to be partaken in the inn's basement! Do not fall for the inn's brochure or photos on their website. Go elsewhere, like the Hampton Inn, which is new, clean, and quiet. The inn conceded on one point: they did not charge us the $1.50 housekeeping gratuity. What largesse!

Basic but fine for what we needed

by TripAdvisor Member Cupcakecaro

I just returned from a weekend here with a group of friends - overall the place was fine for what we needed, but not as charming/atmospheric as I had hoped. The decor is that of a courtyard marriott with minimal interesting details - not the loft/conversion they seem to suggest on their website.

We had two suites opposite each other (213 & 214) - 214 had a balcony & 213 had a small kitchen so we were well sorted for keeping drinks, snacks, etc. and having breakfast & cocktails on the balcony. I never went up to the roof deck. We had 3 staying in each room & had plenty of space - could have fit 4 in each room fine.

The location is perfect, very walkable to everything but still quiet enough to feel relaxing & removed. Service & cleanliness were adequate. Parking (one space per room) is a great advantage since it would've been a real pain to find places to leave the cars. Breakfast was ok but nothing special.

I'd definitely recommend staying here if you are with a group of friends that's interested in seeing Newport & having a convenient base. We were on a package that gave us mansion tickets and a generous discount at 22 Bowens, a great restaurant on the harbor, so this helped make the fees worth it. I'd rate the value as average. It would not be the place for a romantic getaway - for that, find a cute B&B.

Noise factor off the charts!

I read all of these reviews prior to booking at the Mill Street, and although plenty of people issued warnings about the noise, I ignored it thinking, "I've lived in a city - how bad could the noise be?" The problem isn't the noise from the street - it's the noise from inside the inn!! People were running, jumping, wrestling, yelling, in surrounding rooms until 2:00 am. When I called the front desk to complain, they said they'd take care of it - not to worry. Twenty minutes later the noise continued - I went into the hallway and met the man from the front desk - he told me, "there isn't anything I can do - that's just the way it is." I was stunned...after all, hadn't I just paid over $600 to stay for two nights??? Someone needed to ensure we got a good night's sleep. I launched a complaint the next day as I was checking out and the [new] man at the front desk told me he'd have the inn keepers contact me. I never heard from anyone. Poor, poor, poor customer service! Would not stay here again.

Don't pay these rates for this property

by TripAdvisor Member Ann55

I thought I'd go all out for a weekend in Newport. My husband and I hadn't taken a vacation all Summer so when I made this reservation in March, I did some reasearch. Called Newports most luxurious all-suite hotel or something like that, I thought I'd splurge on a two story townhouse for over $350 a night. This is more then I've paid to stay at a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton in some cases.

To start...upon check in the woman at the front desk was on the phone obviously chatting with someone else at the hotel discussing future bookings. She ignored me for about five minutes and took her time finishing up her call. This was an indication of things to come...

Now to the room...the 1st floor was dark, the "wet bar" had a tiny fridge that was off balance and every time you opened it, it would rock. The mini blinds down stairs were dirty. There was one trash can in the entire place...in the bathroom upstairs. The deck (once you could force the slidding glass door open), had a glass with water and cigarette butts in it. If you choose to sit on your private deck, you cannot see the water...you have to stand to have a view...and the AC unit drips onto the deck and is very loud...romantic, huh? The bathroom had obviously had some water damage around the sink and it had not been properly painted. The tub and sink both dripped and the sink drain ran slow. As do so many mediocre hotels (but not good hotels) do...there were only two bath towels...when will hoteliers learn that women use two towels? So, if there is a man and woman in the room, you need three towels! When I asked for more towels to be brought to the room, we were given a face cloth and bath mat! Another chronic hotel problem...one towel bar.

I'll give credit where credit is due...the bed was very comfortable. And what about "continental breakfast served on the deck, weather permitting"? Well, it was a perfect weekend...mid-80's, no humidity, absolutely beautiful...yet they served continental breakfast each day in a dingy basement room with no windows...why?

I would never stay here again for the money. Had this cost 1/2 of what we paid, I'd say it was OK, but I left feeling like I had really, really bad deal..I did not get what I paid for.

Liked it!

I really liked this place. Yes, it can be noisy because the walls seem to be thin so try to request a room towards the back of the hotel. The breakfast was lovely, served outside each morning and the staff was friendly. I thought the room was extremely clean and very comfortable. We stayed in the one above the basic room and had a big couch, table with chairs and a separate bedroom. My only complaint is that the parking area is a disaster waiting to happen. When the hotel is full you can barely get in and out so beware.

What an awesome small hotel!

This hotel was recommended to me when I stopped in to the Newport Visitor Center while on business. The hotel was right around the corner from the center. I especially liked the fact I could use the complimentary wireless internet access while eating my free breakfast buffet on the outdoor deck overlooking the most gorgeous view of Newport Harbor. I've never stayed at a hotel that matches this. They really aught to update their photos to show what it really looks like. The ones they have now don't do them any justice.

The staff really went out of their way to make me feel comfortable. I was able to park my car and could have walked to everything; mansions, harbor, restaurants, etc. I would give the value a 9 out of 10 (the highest rating I give to any hotel) I'm returning with my girlfriend in 2 weeks.

Comments