49 America's Cup Ave., Newport, Rhode Island, 02840, United States

Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Average

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

A hotel with one of the best locations in Newport

The Newport Harbor Hotel is located on the waterfront in the center of Newport. It's primary attribute is its location, which can't be beat. You can walk from the hotel to many restaurants, bars and shops. It is a longer walk (15-30 minutes) to many of the big tourist attractions, including the Tennis Hall of Fame and some of the historic mansions.

The hotel's rooms are comfortable, although the walls are a bit thin. If has a nice bar and indoor swimming pool. It also has a big parking lot, which is a huge positive in Newport, where parking can be a nightmare in the summer.

We found the staff to be friendly.

• SurfaceTravel's Profile Photo

everything you need as a boater

I have stayed in the marina twice, so I can comment mainly on the facilities to sailors rather than the rooms. The facilities are great: there is a long row of washers and dryers, and there is a laundry soap dispensing machine. There are more than enough showers to accomodate a fleet of racing yachts, each with 6 to 16 crew members.

We once sailed in from Bermuda and the last 36 hours were quite rough, so we hadn't really been able to cook anything decent during that time. We arrived at dawn, packed up the boat, and showered and changed in time for the dining room to open. We all ordered ham and eggs, home fries, beans, coffee, toast, and orange juice. They gave us huge American-style portions and it was delicious! We downed it in minutes. Then we started hinting and murmuring until someone got the bright idea that maybe we could do that again. So we ordered the same thing all over again and finished it off as well. One of the best breakfasts I have ever had!

Directions: right in the centre of Newport on the water, just north of where Memorial Blvd. hits the water. There is ample parking.

More about Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina

Location Location Location

by TripAdvisor Member northendmoon

Newport Harbor Hotel on the inside if like any holiday inn. The decor is a little cheesy, the bathrooms are small, but when yo go to Newport, most people don't spend much time in their hotel so that shouldn't matter much. The beds were confortable. The staff was courtious and attentive. The rooms were clean.

This hotel has an amazing location. It is right on the harbor with a beautiful patio/lawn facing the water. It is in the middle of all the shops, restaurants, bars -- truly in the heart of the city. The mansions and beaches are also close by. Both are either a long walk or a very short drive.

Decent Hotel in a Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member hpliz

We have been to Newport many times and usually stay at the Hyatt on Goat Island. Since we were only there for one night, we wanted a more convenient in-town location. Newport Harbor Hotel has the perfect location -- walking distance to all of the shopping and restaurants along the wharf and Thames Street. The parking lot is presently being renovated, so walking through it on a foggy night was hazardous. Check in was efficient. There were four of us sharing a room with two double beds. The room was small, but clean and well-laid out. The bathroom was also small, but very pretty with a pedastal sink and gold-framed mirror. We were right across from the ice machine -- be sure to request a room away from this -- it was very noisy! We did not swim, but people seemed to be enjoying the indoor pool and sauna. We also did not eat in the restaurant because we have our favorites, (Gary's Handy Lunch for breakfast and Salas' for dinner) but both the bar and restaurant seemed quiet and sedate on the Saturday night we were there. This hotel lends itself to a short rather than a long stay. The price is in line with the other hotels in Newport, but does not charge for parking during the off-season, a definite plus!

Eh.

by TripAdvisor Member Loeil

Like everyone else, I'd agree that this hotel is completely average. The location is the hotel's greatest asset (I didn't even know there was a pool until I read some of these reviews).
The walls are paper thin, only made worse on the Saturday night of my stay when what sounded like an entire wedding party decided to have their after-event in the room next door. It took two calls to the desk and about 30 mins to have it resolved --- not horrible, except it was rather late at night, and at check in one of the first things you notice is their Zero Tolerance noise policy.

Hotel just ok-location and view wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member summervac

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in July. I have to concur with everyone else that the hotel itself does not justify it's $300+ nightly rate. The rooms are just ok- equivalent to a motel. However, we did have a great view of the marina and the location is just wonderful. You can walk to great restaurants, shopping and many of the different boat tours. Unless you can get a good rate, I would recommend giving a different hotel a try.

Lighten up, it's a great "jumping off place" for a fun weekend!

by TripAdvisor Member mda765

Everyone is right; mediocre place, ok staff, definitely "few star" rating, but if you stay in room 436 you can lay in your bed and see the water and the bridge and forget your troubles for awhile. It's worth it just for that. Kill the staff with kindness and it is returned. Eat elsewhere, the breakfast is overpriced swill, and the tiny bar area is not very friendly at night, but that view, that view!!!
Also, beware of the other hotels in the immediate vicinity- the same staffing, food and mediocrity. Just enjoy the company and the time!

Average Hotel Great location

by TripAdvisor Member pee in the woods

Was a little worried after reading some of the reviews but have learned over the years some people you can never please. I don't think you can get a better location. Our check-in went smoothly the room was really clean and larger than expected. Did not eat at the hotel. For breakfast you gotta try the Ocean Breeze Cafe and Bakery. It is the best! For a great salad or sandwich try the Red Parrot. Don;t leave town without walking at least a section of the Cliff Walk and tour the mansions. Would definitely stay heare again. A little pricey for and average room but the location can't be beat.

This place is WAY overrated

by TripAdvisor Member hafunkhouser

OK, to begin we paid $350 a night for a room that was less than the quality of most comfort inns these days. (In fact, with service and quality of the comfort inn chain, thoroughly recommend them) Anyways, back to subject at hand. Todays hotels provide free high-speed internet, which was $9.95 per 24 hr period, a free morning paper and usually continental breakfast. Not only that the fact that more that one thing in the room was broken or inoperative did not help me in my obviious disgust with this hotel. I virtually paid for a view of the marina with a dirty room and a nice barking dog next door to keep me awake this morning. The little [--] was scratching the door and howling at 6:45 am. Any person of class would be disgusted with the quality and price for this little hotel.
My experiences range from 5 star resorts in Bermuda to 1 star hotels in small towns throughout the country. As a seasoned traveler, find somewhere else to stay with a view....this is not worth it.

3 trips related to the Newport-Bermuda Race

by SurfaceTravel

1997 I crewed on a yacht being delivered from Bermuda to Newport for that year's Marion Race. We did it in just under four days and we moored up at The Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina (see tip). We walked around town, had clam chowder and Bermuda Gosling's Black Rum at the Black Pearl Tavern (see tip), and partied with other sailors.

1998 I was in town for a few days preparing to crew on a yacht in the 1998 Newport Bermuda Race. I slept on the yacht, again at The Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina, attended quite a few pre-race parties, drank Bermuda Black Rum, and hung out at the Black Pearl again.

2000 I decided to watch the start of the race this time with my wife instead of participating. We flew to Toronto, rented a car and drove to Lake Placid. We stayed there for two nights and then drove down to Newport.

We stayed at a nice bed & breakfast (see tip) and some old friends surprised us by showing up at the same place. Since we now had some more combined buying power, we chartered a private 36' yacht, complete with skipper, to go out for a sail and then to watch the start of the race. That week we also drove around the mansions neighbourhood, scrounged the used gear at the ship chandler shops, and did some general sight-seeing.

See the travelogue for more photos.

Newport

by Odonnell3

"2 Days in Newport"

We traveled to Newport from Boston, MA and it was certainly a breath of fresh air from the city life of the Bean Town.
My husband, 2 year old daughter, and I stayed at the Newport Harbor Hotel and Marina. It is located right on the water with a beautiful view of the water and all the boats that dock there.
The room was expensive - nothing special, a typical hotel room but you coudn't beat the location. We were situated in the heart of the town with cobblestone streets and little shops that lined the streets.
We loved the quaint feel of the town as well as the peaceful/relaxing nature whereever we ventured.
We toured the famous Vanderbilt mansion (many others to choose from as well), drove along Ocean Drive, and toured the Tall Ships that happened to be docked that weekend.

Comments