Sea View Inn

240 Aquidneck Avenue, Middletown, Rhode Island, 02842, United States

Satisfaction Terrible

Good For No Data
  • Original Roach Motel

Do NOT stay here!! I don't understand all the other reviews - this motel doesn't even deserve one star. Aside from the 'basic looks', as one reviewer describes, the real tip off that this would not be a pleasant stay was the $25.00 deposit required 'in case of damages'. The room was stale and musty - but, it was clean. The first thing I did was check for bed bugs, and although I didn't find any, I am still taking precautions against bringing them into my house. The mattress smelled like throw-up and there were stains. My first evening (a Friday night) was uneventful. However, the second night I was next to a family that had two rooms and were very very loud. The motel staff asked them to quiet down, but it fell on deaf ears. To the staffs credit, they did move me. This was at 10:00 at night. All was fine until 2:30 in the morning when I was awoken by some visitors just arriving. They played guitar, catterwalled and pounded around like it was party time in the middle of the day. After my dreadful night, I began packing my car at 5:30 a.m.. How interesting that another couple, in a completely different spot, were packing their car, and above them was a trashy couple making sarcastic comments - obviously the couple packing the car had a night comparable to my own. It didn't take long to get the impression that this motel caters to the kind of people who should be vaporized or sent to another plantet to make each other miserable. If you want a good nights sleep, do not stay in this motel.

Unique Quality: The shower curtain billows around you for no apparent reason while taking a shower. After the shower it is interesting to find an inch of water on the floor. The continental breakfast consists of water-downed orange juice, packages of oatmeal, bananas, mealy apples, stale looking bagels and a pastry of some sort. No milk.

• Comfy, great hostess

It was a cozy place, nothing fancy or elegant, don't expect that. But it did the job- I felt safe and the employees were very accommodating, especially the hostess, Nancy. She talks a mile a minute and is just the sweetest person you'll meet in Newport, she gave us advice on what to see and how to get there like our own personal tour guide.
    She made our stay extra special.

More about Newport

JumpingKIM,wife of VTer MLW20,Newport,Rhode IslandJumpingKIM,wife of VTer MLW20,Newport,Rhode Island

Fort AdamsFort Adams

Nice walkway in the small parkNice walkway in the small park

Ferni getting ready to eatFerni getting ready to eat

Seafood market for lobster

by davhu1

Can anyone recommend a good seafood place to purchase live lobster?

Re: Seafood market for lobster

by karen1114

First choice would be:
Anthony's Seafood, 963 Aquidneck Avenue, Middletown

Another good choice:
Aquidneck Lobster Co, 31 Bowens Wharf, Newport

Enjoy!

Travel Tips for Newport

You absolutly must visit the...

by djramey

You absolutly must visit the beach. However, don't only bathe in the sunlight, you must also wander off to the cliff pass. This is very very refreshing and a great hike, even for those who do not like to hike. The mansion tour drive is also a great way to spend time. We took the cliff walk and wandered down some 100 stairs to get to a photo opportunity. This is a common place for families visiting. However, don't just stop there. We continued and hoped over the stairs to the rocky shore. We wandered on a little bit and found a 4-6 meter waterfall that you could actually walk behind, yea... like in the movies. It wasn't big by any means, but awesome it sure was.

Membership to the Preservation Society of Newport

by Gypsystravels

If you plan to visit the mansions more than once a year, being a member of the Preservation Society is well worth the price. You are given the following benefits as a member:

Free and unlimited admissions to regular tours at all properties for one year.
One family pass to the Behind the Scenes Tour of the Elms
Front-of the line priveleges at all properties.

10% discount at all six Newport Mansion stores. Free/discounted admissions to special events.
Lunch priveleges at The Elms Carriage House.

The membership is tax deductible.

For more information about becoming a member, call (401-847-1000) or go on line www.NewportMansions.org

Prices are as follows:

Students : $35
Individual: $50
Dual: $75 (two adults from the same household, no kids)
Household: $90 (2 adults and all kids or grandkids 17 & younger)

Elephant Ears

by cjg1

We were in Country Kettle Fudge when Liz spotted some Elephant Ears. I personally didn't think they were elephant ears, they were not the ones I was accustomed to seeing. She was in heaven since they looked just like the Elephant Ears should would get at the Jersey shore when she rented a house there. Turns out the sma eplace in Jersey is owned by the owner of Country Kettle Fudge in Newport.

We wound up buying 3 ears at $5. Elephant Ears are a flaky cinnamon sugar round, flat, flaky pastry that's about 68 inches around in diameter. They were incredibly good and I was surprised how different they were from what I'm used to. I liked them so much we stopped for more on our way out of town that Sunday.

Smokehouse Cafe (CLOSED)

by Gypsystravels about Smokehouse Cafe (CLOSED)

Located here on America's Cup Avenue is this little bbq place. We stopped by on a hot summer day to have a few drinks and just relax after so much exploring and walking.

We didn't order any food, but the place was packed with dinners and many locals hanging out the bar.

It's a great place to relax, catch your breath and enjoy a few brews.

UPDATE - This place has sadly closed

Newport Harbour

by aukahkay

Newport harbour is a full of pleasure boats owned by the rich and famous. In the summer, you could hire a boat to go out deep sea fishing. A good place to relax by the harbour is from the terrace of the Marriot Hotel where you can have afternoon tea and enjoy the cool sea breeze.

Comments