3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Newport

Calm beachCalm beach

Busker fries with cheeseBusker fries with cheese

Cafe ZeldaCafe Zelda

Exterior of the storeExterior of the store

Travel Tips for Newport

Road Trip!

by acemj

So, the week before Memorial Day weekend, my friends Praveen and Rinu gave me a call and asked if I'd be up for a road trip. Of course!!! I'm always up for a road trip. I had always wanted to visit Newport, Rhode Island to see the amazing mansions. The root of this desire was my visits to the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, North Carolina, which happens to be America's largest privately owned home. I remembered learning about the riches of the Vanderbilt family and their other summer home up in Newport and ever since then, I had always wanted to see it for myself.

Visiting Newport with good friends was a great way to spend the weekend.

Picturesque Dockside

by Geoff_Wright

A general view of part of the picturesque dockside. Mary and Paula deciding they've had enough of window shopping, and now are in need of refreshment!

It was a really nice day, good company and the crowd added to the immense atmosphere of the place.

Walking is the best way to see Newport

by Gypsystravels

I spend a lot of time exploring a location walking around at my leisure. I park my car usually at that Visitor's Center and walk America's Cup Ave to the wharfs and around the waterfront.

I love walking because it allows me the freedom to stop for something to eat or drink, peruse a store, do some shopping, wander with no worries about where to park the car or that the time on the meter is up.

Cooke House Restaurant

by Gypsystravels about Cooke House Restaurant

The Cooke House Restaurant is conveniently locted here on Banister Wharf. They have a very large brunch, lunch, dinner menu to suit anyone.

Ferni doesn't eat seafood because of allergies, but I love my seafood and this resaurant was an excellent choice for a lunch stop as they have a very large menu to please anyone.

The restuant is decorated in nautical theme and is quite appealing. We were seated at a nice table for two and were given our menus. We both decided what we wanted and the waitress came over and took our drink menu along with our food order.

Ferni order a burger with fries and I had the cup of Newport Clam Chowder and the Calamari Fritta. They were both excellent. Ferni was surprised that his burger was good.

We definitely had an excellent lunch here and would definitely come back on our next trip. Ferni order a burger with a side of fries, the burger was $8.95 while the fries were $4.25. I had the cup of Newport Chowder which was rich, creamy and so delicious for $5.95 and also ordered the Calamari Fritta which was excellent, crispy and quite delicious for $10.95. Ferni had a Coke and I ordered a club soda with lime.

A Grand Mansion - The Breakers

by Gypsystravels

The "Grandest" of all the "cottages" in Newport, the Breakers was the summer home of Cornelius Vanderbilt II, Grandson of Commodore Cornelius Vanderbilt who had established the family wealth in steamships and then railroad.

Cornelius Vanderbilt II purchased a small cottage called the Breakers and commissed Richard Morris Hunt to design the new Breakers after a fire destroyed the original cottage.

The Breakers is a beautiful 70 room Italianite Villa overlooking the ocean with a wonderful two floor Loggia which is upon during the summer. Photographs are allowed in this area of the Breakers.

Gladys, the youngest daughter of Cornelius inherited the house after her mother's death and an in 1948 to raise funds for the Historical Society opened the Breakers. According to my research, the Preservation Society purchased the house from her heirs in 1972 and is designated a National Historic Landmark.

The Breakers is a beautiful example of the wealth and excess of the time.

There are guided tours and photographs are allowed in certain designated areas. Please check their website for times and schedules of each home as this changes throughout the season.

Comments