Wyndham Newport Onshore

405 Thames St. (formerly Fairfield Newport), Newport, Rhode Island 02840, United States
Priceline.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

More about Newport

Tasty NachosTasty Nachos

Entrance to Fort AdamsEntrance to Fort Adams

Stopping for a pic under the gazeboStopping for a pic under the gazebo

Enjoying my breakfast with my FerniEnjoying my breakfast with my Ferni

driving from nyc to newport

by iam1wthee

Thinking about driving from nyc to newport rhode island. Mapquest said it takes 3 hours but the time estimate it gives is always a few hours off. Has anyone ever driven from these two places? How long did it really take? What route did you take? Did you take I95 straight up or do you know a shortcut?

by zuriga

If you stick to I95, the drive is about 3-4 hours depending on traffic. I did that drive several times and would definitely suggest getting off the highway to see Mystic, CT which is a lovely town with a recreated whaling village.

by hellojnewman

3-4 hours is about correct with a minimum amount of traffic. If you get caught in Connecticut traffic it can be signifcantly more. If possible avoid Friday rush hour traffic during the Summer months. You can take Exit 92 in CT. to the Westerly Bypass to get to RT 1 north, follow to 138 towards Jamestown/Newport. Or for a more scenic route you can take RT138(exit 3A in RI)and follow RT 138 into Newport.

by cjg1

Just back yesterday from this drive. 3.5 and up is the time estimate.

I recommend doing the exit 3 in RI to 138 all the way into Newport as the best bet. Sadly the train from Kingston is a $50 cab ride each way but that would be a good idea if money wasnt as much of an issue.

The drive isnt bad but you will run into traffic all along the way. So just plan some extra time and if it is faster the better for you.

by iam1wthee

Thanks to all that have replied. I am going to try to go during the wee mourning hours to avoid traffic as much as possible.

by Pawtuxet

My son & wife as well as my husband and I have driven it many, many times. son lives in NJ. He always makes great time but drives like a race car driver. He does it in 3 hrs. unless traffic is a problem. Sometimes uses the Tappanzee in order to avoid the GW bridge in traffic. We like the Merritt Pkwy which is more pleasant on the NY end. Driving through Long Island and taking the ferry would ordinarily be slower, but in wee hours... might be more pleasant. Love that ferry into Connecticut. There are many pretty towns along your way...Mystic is only one of them, but the most touristy. If you are driving in early hours w/o holiday and business hours and Friday "getaway" traffic, you should be able to do it in about 3.5 hrs. You'll love Newport when you get there. ck. my Newport page for ideas.
Have fun!

Travel Tips for Newport

booking a room

by iam1wthee

Book at least 4 to 6 months in advance. Rooms fill up fast here. I booked 3 months ahead all the places I wanted were already filled. I spoke to other travelers and they said all of the hotels were taken even the expensive ones.

Fabulous Breakfast in Bed

by cjg1

One of my favorite things during our trips has been the awesome breakfast in bed provided by the Inns we have stayed. There is nothing better than waking up and being served a tasty breakfast on silver trays without having to get dressed. Enjoying a good meal while the fireplace crackles is absolute heaven to me. After this treatment you never want to leave...I know we didn't want to.

The breakfast were very good and my Favorite was the French Toast with apples and caramel sauce. I was surprised the food was so good at the Inns.

HAMMERSMITH FARM. 28-room...

by cobrioc

HAMMERSMITH FARM.
28-room cedar-shingled cottage located on the East Passage of Narragansett Bay and surrounded by acres of beautifully landscaped gardens.Summer home of the Auchincloss family for four generations

The Black Pearl

by frankcanfly

My Dad is the sailor in the family. He lives on his sailboat on the Chesapeake, but has sailed these waters numerous times.... He told me you haven't been to Newport until you've been to the Black Pearl. I've been to Newport..... I recommend the outside deck, and the Striped Sea Bass.

Touro Synagogue

by saw50st8

America's oldest synagogue is definitely worth a visit. It was designed by Peter Harrison, America's most famous 18th century architect. The synagogue was placed on an angle, so it faced east, which meant the ark was facing the right direction.

Outside is a copy of the letter written by George Washington, expressing that religeous freedom applies to everyone, including the Jewish community.

Services are available on the weekendsand jewish holidays. Men and married women are expected to wear a head covering during services.

Comments