Hilton Providence

21 Atwells Ave, (formerly Providence Plaza Hotel), Providence, Rhode Island, 02903, United States

Booking.com Hilton.com Expedia.com

Costs 22% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• morochaargentina's Profile Photo

great customer service

VERY nice hotel, the beds are REALLY comfortable. We stayed on the 14th floor with an amazing view of the city. The gym is small but nice and comfortable (they have 2 treadmills, 2 bikes and 2 stes and some weight training) All the machines have their own tv, which is always great.
    The lobby is nice, there is a starbucks (with free internet) + a shullas restaurant (the bar is VERY nice and modern)
    The only thing that we didn't like is that you have to pay for internet ($10) and parking ($25) BUT we parked on the street for only $10! :)
    Customer service was absolutly amazing.

Unique Quality: great city views! very comfortable beds

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

Spruced and Shula'ed up and ready for action

True confessions time: I have not stayed at the Hilton since the Procaccianti Group (big players in downtown Providence development, also responsible for the major changes at the Westin) purchased the old Holiday Inn and refurbished it completely. But any change they made would have to be an improvement; the old Holiday Inn was definitely showing its age, and the public spaces were less than commodious. One of the best features of the newly configured space is the addition of Don Shula's steak house. It is, in my opinion, the equal of Ruth's Chris temple to overpriced beef or to the Capitol Grille, long a feature of political lunches, but the prices are much better.

But I digress. To focus on the hotel: this is vintage Hilton, only newer. You're likely to find a comfortable night.

Unique Quality: Extremely handy for events at the Rhode Island Convention Center and the Dunkin' Donuts Center, and just steps away from Federal Hill. Having not experienced a stay, I can't give you the inside scoop on the amenities.

Directions: At the foot of Federal Hill, adjacent to the Dunkin' Donuts Center

More about Hilton Providence

Don't stay here if you can avoid it

by TripAdvisor Member rosenj77

My husband and I recently returned from staying at the Holiday Inn Providence because every other hotel that our convention was using was booked solid. The hotel is undergoing MAJOR renovations which begin every morning at 8:00 am with constant banging and drilling. It was difficult to walk out the hotel because the entrance is under construction and you must walk around barracades to get to the sidewalk. I was even sprayed one day by a concrete mixer.
The room was very clean, even though it was the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in. We had a charming view of I-95 traffic from our window. If you like cold showers, this is the perfect hotel for you. The management did offer us free bagels and coffee, but when you have meetings to be at at a certain time, you can't wait for someone to fix the water (which wasn't possible). We were here by default, that is the only way anyone should be at this hotel until remodeling is done. By the way, no pool either, what a surprise.

Not a vacation hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ycats1229

Overall it is okay but I would not have stayed here if i were vacationing here. Luckily we are just passing through on business. It is good for that, wireless internet and resturant downstairs but you could definately do better if the hotel is an important part of your vacation. Plus everybody on reivews has said what a great location...well if this is a good location...then i would avoid providence all together. It seems to be run over with gangs and rough sorts. Not at at all what i thought Providence would be...downtown is a sort of scary place. I was scared to make eye contact. Seems to be a race war going on or something. Italians driving around waving their own country's flag yelling from car window, and then other races strutting through the streets as if to dare you to look at them...very scary...i would never bring my children here. We drove all over trying to find "the right side of town" to no avail. It feels more like I am in Detroit or a Jersey town than a quaint New England town. Back to the hotel though, the hotel will be beautiful when remodeling is done but for now...there are stairs to even get in to hotel which is a real pain if you have lots of luggage. Plus a very shabby parking garage that gives me the creeps. The front desk was wonderful, the food in the resturant was great, rooms were clean. Very ugly views from hotel if you ask me...too down town/industrial. Basically to sum up my review...avoid Providence all together if you can...if not, this is a fine place to stay for a VERY short stay. One night is all i would do here. But then again, one night is all i would do in Providene.

Don't Expect To Sleep In !!

by TripAdvisor Member travelcrafty

ThIs hotel is under construction and if you stay here you can expect to hear loud hammering very early in the morning. I had come to Providence in order to go out at night and see a show and had hoped to sleep in until at least 9 or 10, but this was impossible as I was awakened by loud construction noise at 7:00 a.m. (on a Saturday morning). When I complained at the front desk, I was told that all guests were notified in advance of the construction. I explained that I had booked the room through Holiday Inn's very own 800 number and absolutely had not been informed of the remodeling, or I wouldn't have reserved the room. The receptionist's response was "well, the hotel has been under rennovation for a year" Perhaps she was unaware that the people who are dragging their luggage through the lobby in front of her all day are often from out of town and may be unaware of pending construction projects in Providence, RI. When I continued to express my disappointment in only getting three hours sleep, I was offered an insulting 10% discount from my bill. I must say that everything else was ok, so if you're getting up early anyway, this is a clean hotel in a good Providence location.

Bad, worse, worst

by TripAdvisor Member MissKenton

Our first impression was the closed main entrance and a dirty and run down garage. Next came the reception, which was under heavy construction. Finally, we arrived in the rooms, which are run down, dirty and small. The air-conditioning had been turned on 60°F on a chilly fall evening. When we tried to turn on the heat, we found out, that it didn't work yet.

The receptionist recommended an italian restaurant to us: it was small, cheap and run down. Not to mention the neighbourhood...

Take this advice: don't try this hotel, you will be certain to regret it.

Love the new Hilton, from Wanderlustnyer, NYC

by TripAdvisor Member Wanderlustnyer

I travel to Providence from time to time and usually stay at the Westin. This week I checked out the new Hilton nearby. This place used to be a Holiday Inn but I can barely notice that now. Everything is new.

As a diamond I was warmly greeted and my preferences were acknowledged. My room, on the 14th flr, is nicely decorated with modern furnitures incl. double desks, an ergonomic chair and a 37" LCD TV. The firmness of the bed is just right. The quilt and linens are more smooth than the heavenly bed I have had at the Westin. Although the bathroom is nothing special and I'm not a big fan of generic hotel toiletries. The hotel also has a small gym with nice Precor equipments. The pool is under construction. HSIA is available at $10 per night.

I like this hotel better than the Westin. The service at the Westin has always been very cold. It may have stemmed from the old days when it was the only game in town. But now with the new Hilton and probably a new Renaissance, the game is changing.

Nice Place

by TripAdvisor Member Smith1000

Great new Hilton, nice location (near Providence Place, at the end of Federal Hill); very updated interior, great bed and bedding, nice TV (flat screen). Small room but ok for city, we got king sized bed, very plush and comfortable. Temperature system was great, we like it cold and slept with it on cold all night. The bathroom is all brand new and the shower was amazing.

Valet parking is $22 a night and they are very prompt about getting your car when you need it.

My only complaints are that it was a little noisy (nothing that got in the way of our sleep) but you could hear a little outside noise and the walls and doors are thin.

Also, we reported to the front desk that there was a used tampon under the bed and they wrote it down on their "second chance" list to remove, we went out to dinner for four hours and when we returned it was still there.

Pretty gross.

Aside from that, a pleasant stay.

Mixed Review

by TripAdvisor Member 2TubMan

The hotel is newly renovated and looks good. It is located at the foot of Federal Hill. You can walk to lots of great restaurants in both directions. The Shula's restaurant downstairs left a lot to be desired. The breakfast buffet was cleaned out at 8AM - no coffee, no silverware, no apology. It was obviously understaffed - no hostess.
Room service skipped our room. We had to call when we returned at 8PM to get clean towels. No apology.

A fabulous find in the heart of Providence!

by TripAdvisor Member chriswin

Friends and I were travelling down to Providence for the Pride festival and decided to use Priceline to book two rooms. We bid on 3-stars realizing we could get a certain hotel that we're not crazy about, but to our surprise we got this Hilton. I had never stayed at this property when it was a Holiday Inn, and I wasn't expecting anything grand. However, after what I found out was a $40 million renovation (according to the courtesy van driver) I can report that this is a top-notch hotel and I for the life of me can't figure out why it's only rated as three stars.

The lobby is beautiful, the customer service excellent (thank you, front desk staff, for straightening me out on my bar charge - I couldn't remember if I had left my server a tip and the front desk retrieved a copy of my receipt for me so I could see I had - it was actually very funny because I left an odd amount to bring the total to a dollar amount divisible by three so my friends and I could split the bill evenly - which brought a laugh to the front desk staff as well as to me), and thank you to the welcoming and friendly courtesy van driver. The location is in the most convenient of any other hotel in Providence. It's a short walk to either Providence Place Mall or Federal Hill, and the hotel is right next door to the Dunkin Donuts Center. The rooms were beautiful, with flat-screen tv's, a Cuisinart coffer maker (that brews into one or two mugs - I even thought the mugs were pretty cool!) a very comfortable bed, and a chair that you could actually sit in and look out the window at your view (why do hotels place chairs in a corner where you can't see out the window?). The bathroom was above average, the shower head was wonderful and the toiletries were top of the line.

The hotel also has a Starbucks and a Shula 347. We didn't eat at the restaurant but had a couple drinks at the bar. The restaurant and bar are very trendy and the prices on the menu didn't look unreasonable to us.

All in all, an excellent stay and I hope to be able to stay here again in the future.

• Jul 9, 2013 at 6:08 AM

PLEASE do yourself a favor and do NOT stay at this hotel. I checked in for a two night stay and left
    with bed bugs bites, confirmed by my physician!!!! The hotel is refusing to refund my stay because I cannot "prove" I did not receive the bites in their room. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!! I am in the process of trying to resolve this issue including disputing it on my charge card and seeking legal counsel. What
    happened to good customer service? You will not find it here!!!