Providence Biltmore Hotel

3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

11 Dorrance Street, Kennedy Plaza, Providence, Rhode Island, 02903, United States

The Providence Biltmore
Travelocity Booking.com Orbitz.com

Costs 35% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• circusmom's Profile Photo

Worth the expense!

We stayed here for the fourth of July and got a Junior suite. it slept two adults and three kids nicely! There weren't any fireworks display in Providence, but from the 6th floor we could see for miles, and fireworks went on for hours.

The staff was super helpful, and knew all the right places to eat. Some people might not like the Valet only parking, however because of where it is, we could walk to anything. We went to dinner, night cap, mall, and breakfast before we finally got the car at check out.

Unique Quality: Old but well maintained, and beautiful!

More about Providence Biltmore Hotel

Providence Biltmore Stay

Reservations were made online at the hotel website at a savings when compared to other online booking sites. A room was acquired on the concierge level of the hotel at a good rate when compared to other available rooms.

Upon arrival to the airport in Providence, Rhode Island, it became clear that no hotel provided transportation would be available for travelers arriving at the airport. This was not clearly noted beforehand on the website or during the registration process. For the cost of the hotel room per night, why isn’t transportation provided like some of the other less expensive establishments right down the street? A call to the hotel staff at the Biltmore indicated that a ‘shuttle’ would arrive every hour on the hour. The hour mark came and went with no ‘shuttle’ ever seen. A second call to the Biltmore staff indicated that the ‘shuttle’ was actually a van (maybe white or maybe red, which is it, they didn’t know) that arrives at the airport. The van parks with the taxies at the other end of the ground transportation area. Again, no signs indicated this. Another hour goes by and a red van arrives. At this point there is quite a large group of people waiting, many having experienced similar problems. Unbeknown to some of the other travelers and myself a prepaid ticket costing $9.00 for one-way travel to downtown Providence is required to board the van – information left out in both conversations with the hotel staff. A rush was made to go back into the airport (carrying all the luggage because it can’t be left unattended) to purchase a raffle ticket stub from a very rude receptionist. The van was packed full of travelers with no room to spare and some were left at the curb for another hours wait. The van combines stops to the Biltmore, Westin and another downtown hotel.

The check-in process went smoothly.

The quality of the room at first glance was quite nice (an eloquent décor); however, shortly after settling in several deficiencies were noted. The one and only overhead light was missing the fixture to it. This left a harsh pinpoint light trying to illuminate the entire room. Hotel management was notified, but failed to fix the fixture during the four-night stay. Use of the overhead ceiling fan that was part of the same fixture was quickly discontinued for safety reasons due to the severe wobbling and noise coming from the unit.

There were several large unsightly chips in the bathroom tub. Cracked tiles and missing caulking were also highly visible in the bathroom. The hair drier looked as if it had been through a trash compactor and lost the fight. The toilet barely worked when flushing. Although there was a vent present in the bathroom, there was no means possible to turn on, if it worked, the vent to help eliminate steam from a shower. The supplied iron had severe deposits on the plate that could have damaged a clean white shirt.

One of the floor light fixtures didn’t work at all, while others were temperamental in their ability to hold good contact to complete an electrical circuit. A Tieback to the wall for the curtain was missing on one side and was tied into a knot by the maid staff each day. All that is needed to fix it was an inexpensive cup hook. The view out the window from the third floor room looked directly onto the flat roof of floors below. Water was constantly standing with trash and bottles thrown about.

The biggest problem with the room was the lack of heat. During my stay in August, the temperatures were reasonable cool. After running the heat for a while (the air conditioning had been running previously before entering the room), the room seemed to be getting even colder. The heating feature did not work on the air-handling unit. A call placed to the Biltmore staff indicated that the heat was ‘turned off’ for the season. The cold temperatures were tolerated for the remainder of the stay – there was no other choice. Although it should be noted that there was a significant temperature difference between the hallways and the room itself, indicating heat was available.

All of the above mentioned problems could be fixed, just attention to some of the details and the obvious are needed. If these were problems with one room, what about the others? Inspection of other floors (throughout the hallways of the hotel) indicated the older age of the hotel and the lack of quality repairs over the years. If the entire hotel looked as well as the lobby, it would be a major competitor to the new Westin across the street.

The concierge room was a nice feature, but the options for the continental breakfast was limited.

The DVD player supplied within the room was also a nice addition, but there was a lack of quality, recent Hollywood movies available in the concierge room.

If I do stay in Providence again, I will elect to stay at another location.

Ahoy Ye Matey

by Cruefan about McCormick ans Schmicks

This is another pricey restaurant located at the Providence Biltmore Hotel.

They feature seafood and steak on the menu and lobsters too.

It's a popular hangout for some of Rhode Islands political leaders too. I had really good lobster from this restaurant, and they have very good bartenders too

We had a great time at the Biltmore

by TripAdvisor Member pileup

My partner and I stayed at the Providence Biltmore last weekend and couldn't have had a lovelier time. The location was great, the price was great, the room was clean, spacious and nicely furnished. Management and all the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. In fact, the young woman working in the gift shop went out of her way to be accomodating. I asked her for a roll of Tums or Rolaids and they didn't have any. She pulled out her purse and gave me a new roll of Tums. She wouldn't accept payment or a tip. Not really a big deal, but I was very impressed.

I read some of the negative reviews here and I'm not sure we all stayed in the same place. Now, I've stayed in nicer and fancier places, but the Providence Biltmore was a great place to stay and I will stay there again on my next trip to Providence.

Junior Suite was fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member u2greek

Stayed at the Providence Biltmore with a large group, and stayed in a junior suite, which was terrific. The suite had two rooms - including a bedroom with two very comfortable queen size beds with a mounted flat screen TV. The living room area was very spacious with a couch and lounge chair, along with another TV. Room also included a walk-in closet.

Bathroom was a little too small and lacking some amenities. And after having my car valet parked, upon checkout, I noticed that seat was reclined almost all the way back for some reason (I'm tall as is) and that my radio was tuned to an FM station that was not one of my preset stations.

Yuck!

by TripAdvisor Member alexandriava

Put in horrible room after horrible room despite complaints! Third room was decent but not great. I heard concierge level nice but the 3 rooms I saw were not at all - chipped toilet seat, AC didn't work, etc.

i wont stay there 4 another nite even if it is free.

the hotel sucks.i had a oversized junior suite, i requested for non-smoking and king sized bed. turns out i got a smoking and 2 twin beds. that's not it, my bathroom ceiling had a hole when the ppl from the top floor flush, the water come dripping down. so i changed room, i got a room that looks like a jailhouse and it is super small. i swear is a storage b4. then, i found out the valet stole my flashlight keychain. i knew i didn't drop my keychain coz' if i did, the ring for the keychain would still be there. but is not. do not stay there. this hotel is very crappy.what u saw on their website is nothing close to what it is in reality.

Never Again

Was there in June with my wife and 1+y.o. child. Had a room two levels below the grand ballroom in which the hotel hosted a prom, then a wedding. The noise kept us up til it was over. The room needed a serious paint job. Paint chips in closets, around door mouldings. I valeted my new van and didn't use it til checkout, 4 days later. I'm packing the van to go back home (200 mi. away) and find my spare donut wheel mounted on the driver's side rear. I look thru my van and found it ransacked. Then I find a flat tire leaning against the felt lining of my rear seats. I was never notified til I discovered it myself. The night valet mgr., w/o my authorization went thru my belongings to find the wheel lock and changed my tire. Since when does
a Valet do that? The van was given to the valet personnel in perfect condition. There was also construction near the hotel. I couldn't drive 200 mi. on a donut. Then I was sent throughout Prov. to repair the tire. The valet people didn't know that nothing is open on Sun. ? They didn't want to deal with me and sent me away while they handled a new influx of people. Finally, I had the tire plugged at Seekonk, MA. I was reimbursed for the tire, but not for the grease and tear in the rear seat lining. I c/o about 10A.M. and left about 2:30P.M. Never again.

This place is a nightmare

Bring husband for Valentine's Day...no soap, no tub, door does not shut properly (safety issue), no full length mirror, chipped ceiling paint in bathroom, super soft mattress (can't move in morning). I have the room description describing everything that should be in my room...including the bathtub.
Respond to email they send ME after stay outlining problems, (did not complain that night so as not to ruin evening with husband), never get response to email.
When I call to complain about never even receiving a response I am told by the new GM that he is not sure what I am trying to "accomplish". The nerve! I was also told I had a long memory-hell yeah, I hate being mistreated and ripped off. So now I am trying to accomplish letting everyone know they should not stay at this hotel!!!!

Comments