Radisson Hotel Providence Harbor

Booking.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Radisson Hotel Providence Harbor

Okay but nothing more

I stayed at this hotel after I got a great rate through Priceline. I booked my room 6 months in advance. Upon arrival, at about 3:30 PM, I requested a room towards the back of the hotel as I was concerned about the noise from past reviews. I was told that the hotel was booked and that was the only room thay had. I kind of doubted this as I checked in so early, but maybe since i booked through priceline they just didn't care. I requested a 5:30AM wake up call when I checked in, the girl at the desk looked like she didn't care and said she was writing it down. It was a good thing I set my cell phone alarm because the wake up call never came. The noise was very loud and I am someone who can tolerate noise as I grew up one block from I-95. The sound of motorcycles going by literally shook me in my bed. The air conditioning unit was old and when it would periodically cut off, the noise from the highway was unbearable. I eventually left the fan on and was a little warm but at least the fan didn't cut out and it kind of masked the highway noise. The location is horrible. It is in the middle of an industrial wasteland. If you don't have a car, you will need to use the shuttle or taxis. I definitely would not walk this area at night. On the positive, free parking, the room was very clean, the bed was comfortable, the furniture in the room was new, and I got an excellent rate. However, had I paid anything close to rack rate, I would have been extremely disappointed.

NOT A 3 STAR HOTEL, AT ALL... OK if you don't mind 2 star

After reading the reviews I emailed priceline and insisted we get a 3 star hotel as we requested. Pricline was not helpful , refused to cancel our rooms, and did not address any of our concerns. Priceline and most other travel industry sites rate this a 3 star property. Tripadvisior tells it like it is,, 2 star. This Radisson is not a 3 star property !

The hotel is easy to see and drive to, just off 195. Whoever thinks it is not must be from hicksville usa. It doesn't get any easier!

The lobby is ok, cute and actually on the second floor. There is an elevator to use or nice black granite stairs.

The rooms were so small is was not funny. The carpet in both rooms was ugly and falling off the baseboard area around the ac units. The carpet in the hallways are nice. I had called ahead to request a water view since the other side almost hangs over 195. Request was granted but both 3rd floor rooms had old lumpy beds in them, you can feel the springs poke you. I was expecting a sleep number bed....Maybe in the future. One room had a tv that did not work so they gave me another room. This room had a horrible smell like bo and mold so the gave me yet another room. The tv was fuzzy but I was tired and didn't complain. The lamps shades were twisted and dented, not major so I tried to make them look better. The bath sink / floor are a nice black granite and the shampoo, soaps and the like are of good quality. After getting unpacked I noticed the ac didn't work, but again didn't bother to ask for another room since it was cool and overcast outside. I did let them know and was given a comp breakfast in the morning which was good. The hotub area is small but nice. The staff was polite, helpful and gave me good directions to several locations.

The building and rooms are just not that of a 3 star hotel and Priceline has no right to call this a 3star property as it was built to be a Day's Inn. I'm upset with priceline since I wanted 3 star hotel rooms and would gladly have paid more to get them.

Stayed here via Priceline, would not spend more than $50USD/night

I booked a room at this hotel through Priceline ($40), and I agree with a lot of the other reviews, this hotel is not a 3* hotel. I would not stay here again. It looked like the hotel was not prosperous and were trying to cut corners wherever possible.

The PRO'S...
We did get the 2 beds we requested, and they were the sleep number beds.
The hotel had very easy access to the highway system, and is very close to other Providence and Rhode Island locations.
We did have a view of the harbour (from the 4th floor), which was nice, and although we also overlooked the highway, we did not have problems with the traffic noise.

The CON'S...
We requested a non-smoking room and got a smoking one. The area does look every run down, it is in an industrial area, however, a couple streets over, it looks like there are a number of restraunts/pubs.
Although the beds were sleep number, we found them to be very uncomfortable.
The carpets looked like they had not been cleaned (even vacuumed) in some time.
Being on an extended vacation, I needed to check my e-mail, and decided to pay the almost $10 fee to using the wireless internet service. It was the worst connection I have ever seen. I was unable to reach most webpages, instead getting error messages, and the connection was way worse than typical dial-up. I phoned front desk to find out what the problem was, and they were even more unhelpful. They told me that they contract out to another company to manage the internet service and that Radisson's Network was working and that the problem was not with their system. They gave me an 800 number to call for support. I decided to give up and go to bed.
The coffee was horrible. For a supposed 3* hotel, I am used to decent coffee, but this was so weak, that I could not drink it.
At 3:30am, we were woken up by a group of people socializing in the hallway. They were extremely loud and the noise continued well past 4:30am. The walls and door, were so thin, that it sounded like the people were actually in our room.

Pay the extra money and stay elsewhere, enjoy your vacation.

Very Mediocre

by TripAdvisor Member Firstmmo

I wasn't disappointed, but I also was not impressed at all. I have stayed at other Radissons and this one was very blah. We were visiting Brown University and it was far from the center of town. If you want your teenager to like the school, I would pick another hotel. My teen looked at the construction around the hotel and the location and formed a somewhat negative first impression of the school.

Better Than Expected

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights. We got the room via Hotwire and after reading the reviews were very worried. When we checked in we were worried that it was going to be a noisy night because the lobby was full of college students in Providence for a sporting event. At check-in the lobby staff was nice and gave us room on the 6th floor facing the river. The 5th and 6th floors are considered their Executive Levels and require a special key in the elevator to reach them. I am not sure if the staff intentionally kept the college students off the 6th floor but our first night was very quite. The room was clean and was about average size. The view from the room was nice being on the river side of the hotel. Rooms on the opposite side of the hotel over look I-195 and I would guess get a lot of freeway noise. We had one of the sleep number beds and I was not overly impressed by it but it was a nice touch to try out. We ate at the hotel restaurant one night and the service and food was good for the price.
Our last two nights the person in the room next two us was constantly on the phone and we could hear her pretty clearly. I think she was a naturally loud talker but I would also put some blame on the thin walls. The hotel is in a very industrial area and we did not attempt to walk to any restaurants or stores. They have a free shuttle the will take you anywhere in Providence and pick you up if you call when you are done. Overall our stay was good and I would be willing to stay again.

Free Shuttle Downtown saves this hotel

Not sure what all the one-star ratings are about - unless they are renovating part of the hotel and they got old rooms. My room/tv/bath was just fine and up to Radisson standards - and even had the new 'air-number' beds (which I wasn't that impressed with other than the novelity).
The hotel is not DOWNTOWN as Hotwire or Priceline say - but the do offer free shuttle service downtown 24 hours a day... so its not that bad... In fact, even if you drive to the hotel - you may want to use the shuttle since there is construction on the highway.
There aren't many amenities in the hotel other than the restaurant - but for a business hotel or a discount stopover on weekends when you can use Priceline, its just fine.... but nothing in the area other than the hotel. In better weather - I would walk along the riverwalk to get downtown... but not in winter....
I'll be back next month so I'll see if I get one of the 'bad rooms' reported. The staff was very nice!

Don't go by the photos of hotel in Web site!

by TripAdvisor Member Mozart_fan

As I drove off the the freeway into a creepy part of town, I truly thought (and fervently hoped!) that I had gotten to the wrong hotel. Hotel pictures can be so deceiving -- the hotel had look so nice and bright and in a nice part of town. There was NOTHING around the hotel, not that we dared to walk around to check out the neighborhood! The streets were poorly lit and marked, with construction and road closures at every turn. The harbor view that I was expecting was more of an inner city factory-lined street with a glimpse of water. The BEDS were simply HORRIBLE. They had the 'Posturpedic' remote controls that were supposed to adjust to your desired firmness. Of the two beds in our room, one remote did not work so it was no different than sleeping on the floor. The other bed ranged from firm to rock hard. Slept about 4 hours that night. Bathroom needs updating but, of everything, this was the most bearable irritant of our stay. Lady at Reception was nice and helpful, man wasn't. Glad it was only for one night!

Not bad for the priced.....

by TripAdvisor Member Veritas01

I scored a great rate on Hotwire for this hotel. It is located quite a bit away from downtown in the India Point area of Providence. This part of town is popular with Brown University Students as it is relatively close to college hill and while it is not the best part of town it is not the worst either. The area (highway) immediately adjacent to the hotel is under construction. That makes things a bit messy and cuts back on the available parking. The lobby is located on the second floor. Check in was quick and efficient. My room was on the 5th floor and it was in a word...excellent. Very roomy. Nicely appointed. Comfortable. Large work desk with chair. Decent TV. They offered the usual pay per view movies and games. Easy chair with ottoman and reading lamp. King sized bed. Wireless web but at a cost of 9.95 a night. I hate that. But I was pleased with the room and its decor. Looked upscale. The room service menu looked interesting and offered a lot of choices for a price. Bathroom was spacious. Good water pressure and plenty of hot water. All kinds of bathroom goodies. Nice fluffy towels. I did not try the restaurant or bar. Downtown Providence has too many good places to eat and drink to do it here. All in all this was a great place to stay if you score a good rate. The area as has been mentioned is not the best. Your view of the Harbor is more a view of the I-195 highway and the harbor beyond. Checkout is 11 am. Not much more to say. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Not a vacation destination in itself (no pool and nothing really within walking distance other than the dingy India Point Park) but if you are driving to and visiting Providence in general it is a good choice. PS: They have a shuttle to downtown. Not sure of the hours but it is a nice touch. Downtown Providence is very nice these days. I went to college in the late 60's in Providence and it was a pit. Times change.

A Disappointing Choice

by TripAdvisor Member Consultant007

The biggest problem with this hotel is its location. It is indeed next to the harbor area, but it is very isolated (and the harbor tends toward the industrial). In fact, it is sandwiched between a freeway and an off-ramp (that is being reconstructed). About a mile and a half drive to downtown. Other issues: tiny bar and so-so restaurant (signficant because of the location), the windows leaked signficantly when it rained, stained carpet, necessity of using two different elevators to get from parking level to room floors. Unless you get a really good rate, I'd opt for one of the downtown-area hotels.

Better Than Expected

by TripAdvisor Member bcr45

Stayed there for 3 nights. Great rate thru Hotwire. We wanted to be close to the East Side rather than downtown so the location suited us fine. We had a view of the harbor, the rooms were quite small but OK for a few nights. Very quiet and no street noise as reported by other reviews.
We enjoyed a walk during the daytime to historic Benefit St and went to some of the shops on Wickenden St. also a short walk. Not the best neighborhood but not the worst.
A blizzard while we were there and the hotel shuttle drove us to an event on Hope St. at the Rue de l'espoir restaurant and came to pick us up later that evening. Excellent service from the hotel shuttle. Highly recommend the Rue de l'espoir on Hope St. a short distance from the hotel.
We ate one evening at the hotel because of the snowstorm and it was just OK but the service was fine.
Very nice and informative at the front desk.

Comments