The Hotel Providence

311 Westminster St., Providence, Rhode Island, 02903, United States

Travelocity Booking.com HotelProvidence

• iam1wthee's Profile Photo

Hotel Providence

Service was nice and courteous even when we disagreed on what room I should be in and what I owed. It was handled immediately and right away. The room is clean and nicely decorated. The bed is comfortable and the bathroom had a standup shower. The gym is 24 hours. They supply a Ihome radio along with cable tv.

The restaurant is expensive. The view from the window is not much. You either looking at another building or the parking lot.

Unique Quality: right on Westminister St where the heard of the Sound Session festival is held.
    across the street from Grace Church
    across from a lot of clubs in the area
    inexpensive places to eat nearby
    walk to mall 4 blocks
    walk to greyhound 4 blocks
    walk or take cab to greyhound 7 blocks
    walk to buses 4 to 5 blocks
    walk to tour bus 3 blocks

Directions: downtown

More about The Hotel Providence

Evensong or Compline, anyone?

by Bunsch about Grace Church

I know, going to church isn't what most people think of when they hear the word "nightlife" -- but I have to assume there are some other VT'ers out there who actually go to church, and who appreciate high-quality sung choir services in the style of English cathedrals. So I am going to recommend that, schedule permitting, a visitor to Providence attend one of the choral Evensongs (generally on Sundays at 5:00 PM, although not every week), or Compline (on the third Thursday of each month at 7:00 PM) held at Grace Church, which is conveniently located downtown just across from the Hotel Providence and L'Epicureo restaurant (both excellent choices, incidentally). Music director Mark Johnson has a trained boy choir, but these two services are often sung by a mixed choir of (mostly) adults. Both take place in candle light. Treat yourself to a worship experience that will bless you. Whatever you'd wear to church, anyway. (Grace is also the site of the U2 Eucharist, when dress gets a little more avant garde.)

Masonic delights

by Bunsch about Temple

I didn't want to like Temple. After all, who puts a great restaurant in the cellar? Who lines the entire place with marble, so that in theory sound will bounce around insufferably, making it impossible to talk? And yet, I found that I was really taken with the place, which turned out NOT to be noisy, and not really even in the cellar -- the site's grade means that you walk down a lovely staircase to get there, but if you happen to sit in one of the banquette seats (watch out, though, those steel-topped tables are icy cold) you'll have a fine view of the State House just across the street. Once seated, service was very fast, friendly and efficient. My guest and I sampled a number of different luncheon items and I'll definitely be back for the Sunday buffet brunch. A couple of notable things: the Masonic Temple, which has now been transformed by Sage Hospitality to the Renaissance Hotel Providence, was left unfinished for about eighty years and, unsurprisingly, it became a favorite spot for taggers. Sage made a virtue of necessity and hired some of the most creative graffiti artists to decorate their new hotel. Check out the door to your right as you enter the Temple precincts -- just a sample. There's more in the charming bar/music area which is tucked under that staircase. The pulled pork sandwich was succulent and a pleasant surprise at such an upscale eatery, but it could have used a bit of cornbread for authenticity. My guest's salad was innovative and beautifully presented. We each had a berry-encrusted miniature cheesecake for dessert. I took a peek at the dinner and brunch menus and think most people would find an assortment of palate-pleasers here.

Luxurious Hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member ak1978

My sister and I booked the Girls Great Escape package at the Hotel Providence for her birthday. We had a terrific time! The staff is so attentive, remembered and addressed us by our names every time we passed by the front desk. The rooms are luxurious and we loved the furniture and rich fabrics.
We went to L'Epicureo for dinner and the food was amazing!
Being a RI native, downtown Providence has changed so much and I am glad to have a new favorite place to go.

Don't waste your money...

Having grown up in Providence, I'm sorry to say that the hotel which bears my fine city's name is not worthy of the sewer water that washes away our feces. If you want to stay at a four star hotel, stay at the Biltmore. If you want to pay for a four star hotel and stay at a glorified one star hotel, stay here.

Why, you may ask, am I so bitter? Explanation: After driving seven hours, somewhat excited I'll admit, to a) return home, b) try one of Providence's "best new hotels," I was informed that the hotel was "sold out" and that my room would be "somewhat small." I'll say this about the Hotel Providence, they're not liars. To say that most illegal emigres would turn down this room would be no exaggeration. As a compensation for my duress the fine staff at the Hotel Providence offered "free Breakfast coupons," great.

Summary: this hotel is totally overrated. Stay at the Biltmore, the Westin, the Mariott, hell, stay at the Holiday Inn for all I care, just don't stay here.

Great turnaround!

by TripAdvisor Member JWUBSB

Even though this is for The Hotel Providence, I wanted to talk about their lobby restaurant L’Epicureo which was previously located on Little Italy.

The hotel providence was absolutely unbelievable. The BEST in Providence. Front desk staff Erica and concierge Raoul were great and accommodating to us. Awesome beds!

L'epicurio: This is my third visit at Rozanne Bucker's new location.

The first time was good with a traditional Italian selection.

The second time my husband and I hated their portion sizes and the service was lacking.

This third visit (April 14) was amazing. I went with some of my girlfriends on a girl's night out package.

I was surprised to see the hotel’s concierge Raoul was now the restaurant manager for Ms. Bucker's L’Epicureo. According to Raoul the owners hired a new executive chef from Boston and a new management team including Raoul. Although he is rather young [24 we believe] he is intelligent, charming and rather attentive. He came to our table a few times to make sure we were happy and offered us a sampling of their Italian gelato selection. Truly tasty! Our waiter Eric was also attentive. Great staff! We will definitely be back. Great turn around. Don’t change a thing!!!!!!!!!

Big, comfortable bed and great service!

We LOVED this hotel! We drove to Providence from Boston, and the great service started the second we pulled up to the Valet. I've read in other people's reviews that they thought the hotel was hard to find, but we had no problem. If you know how to read a map, or have lived in a city with one-way streets, you will not have any problem finding this hotel!
The guys at the front desk were polite and helpful. Our room was bright, clean, and cozy. We felt so well-rested after a night at the Hotel Providence that we honestly did not want to leave.
I highly recommened this hotel to anyone going to Providence!

Exceptional Service

Some friends and I stayed at the Hotel Providence for a "Girls Weekend". We had amazing treatment from the moment we arrived. The bellman, front desk, valet, everyone was so accommodating. The manager on duty even took the time to introduce himself.

The hotel is beautiful and the rooms were immaculate. The bed was absolutely heavenly!

We spent our days shopping at Providence Place, had manicures and pedicures at a local spa, and then spent our nights eating on Federal Hill. It was perfect! The hotel is in a great location...walking distance to most of the great spots. We would stay there again in a heartbeat.

If I had to make one complaint it would be the ringing of the church bells everyday.

Home Sweet Home

by providencerunner

"A unique urban village"

PROVIDENCE, RI isn't a big city, although it is the Capitol City of a small state. Providence, RI is the funkiest "Urban Village" you will visit in a long time. There's breathtaking historic architecture, mouthwatering restaurants, funky gift shops, art galleries, and of course, there's Waterfire.
If you are heading to Providence, be sure to contact me. I've been called "Miss Providence" by so many of my out of town friends that the title has stuck (although I don't wear a tiara).
Stay at the Hotel Providence because its small, unique, and authentic. Save lots of room to eat.... Pizzico Restaurant on the East Side for Italian food, "XO", for a romantic night out, The Gatehouse for a waterview, Trinity Brewhouse for a good beer! The list goes on and on!
Be sure to stroll down Westminster Street and stop in at Tazza for the best coffee in the City. Return to Tazza later in the evening for drinks and to take in the music scene and then (on weekend nights) head to the Providence Black Rep to dance the night away.
Be sure to come to Providence when a Waterfire is scheduled. Coming in the early spring or late fall will ensure that you don't get hit with massive crowds at this indescribable, romatic, enriching, soothing, stimulating event.
If you are a preservationist then you must stroll Benefit Street and tour the John Brown House. Providence is rich in history as well as fun "urban myths". What's more, Providence is also a college town which adds a youthful falvor to the entire city. There are frequent celebrity sightings at Brown University (our Ivy Leaguer) and even RISD (pronounced "Riz-dee" short for Rhode Island School of Design). Providence College is a Big- Ten basketball school while Johnson and Wales University produces many of the worlds most renowned chefs.

Westin Hotel & Providence skylineWestin Hotel & Providence skyline